Long cold wait II = 3rd edition?

Just thinking of it, there is a similar wait for Runequest and I know they are preparing the 2nd edition of the rules.

Is a dual system in the works, perhaps? In other words, a dual-statted Conan RPG would satisfy both the d20 crowd and the RQ crowd.

Just a guess--for what it's worth (at this point). We won't know for sure until October or November. :cry:

I suspect so, but fervently hope not.

Dual-stat effectively raises the price of the book while reducing content (for Conan OGL fans). If I'm spending $25 for a book that has content that's 100% usable in my game now vs. $25 for a book that's 33% fluff, 33% OGL, 33% RQ - you've effectively reduced my usable content. Since the book costs the same, I'm also now paying more for the content I am getting.

It's better than having OGL abandoned altogether but it's still a tough sell.

I can appreciate why Mongoose might do this but ultimately I think it would prove to be a bad thing. They might see a short-term boost, but I think long-term it would be detrimental to sales of the game - either through OGL fan attrition, or attrition of both OGL & RQ camps being unsatisfied b/c of the divided content. RQ-fan adoption of a Conan RQ is an unknown quantity but I suspect it wouldn't be as large as the Conan OGL fanbase. (Just my gut.)

Long-shot Alternative Scenario: Conan/Hyboria goes systemless ala Freeport. Mongoose produces OGL & RQ versions of companions. You get your Hyrkania sourcebook crunch-free and then buy the Hyrkania OGL companion or Hyrkania RQ or Hyrkania Traveller companion as desired.

Hopeful speculation: The books are returning to full-color, necessitating a change in the print schedule. Content is unaffected and remains OGL.

Wishful thinking that ain't gonna happen: Conan remains OGL but includes some modifications or agreement that make it compatible with the Pathfinder SRD. I'm not even sure that such a thing would change Conan OGL content one ioata, but it would link it to the effective d20 SRD replacement as crafted by the de-facto torch-bearer/successor to the 3.5 SRD/OGL. (I don't even know if it would make any business sense to do so but since we're wildly speculating...) Such an agreement might have to wait until the ink is dry before "Pathfinder compatible", Pathfinder SRD/OGL language, or some such could be added to the books/covers.

Ultimately, who the hell knows?

I hope that whatever the reason it:

A) makes the current Conan fans happy (I'm all for bringing in new blood but don't alienate the current fan base ala 4e)

B) Is a big enough deal to justify pushing the books and making us wait 4 months just for an announcment. I don't want to be scratching my head thinking "We had to wait... for this?".

Mongoose hasn't let me down so far so I'll wait and see and assume that I'll be happy in November.

(But for the record, having to wait that long for an announcment SUCKS. Y'know, just in case you're wondering...)

I just dont see anything RQish makeing OGLD20 fans happy. So that doesnt seem to be in the works.

But yes I think we are all agreed that the wait sucks big ones.

At the Paizo site, all the Conan RPG stuff is marked "Pathfinder Compatible".

My money is still on a slight rules change to Conan + Pathfinder.

From what I've heard about Pathfinder, that's a good thing.

You know what would be totally freaking badass? A collector box set- just like Fantasy Flight is releasing for Rogue Trader - for the new Conan version 3.0.

rt-collectors-ed.png

Sign me up for a Conan Mongoose collector box set right now.

Seriously, Mongoose should really consider offering hardcore fans a collector box set to commemorate this historical release. Conan fans are just as loyal and fanatic as 40k fans.

Strom said:
Seriously, Mongoose should really consider offering hardcore fans a collector box set to commemorate this historical release. Conan fans are just as loyal and fanatic as 40k fans.

Not confirming or denying much, but there will be a limited edition something for Conan next year, specifically targeted at the hardcore. And it will be way more than a box. . .

msprange said:
Strom said:

Not confirming or denying much, but there will be a limited edition something for Conan next year, specifically targeted at the hardcore. And it will be way more than a box. . .

Two boxes!

To be honest, I'm not really excited at this wait, again. Unless the surprise is Vincent back in the team.

msprange said:
Strom said:

Sweet! Iron bound books would be nice. Great news! 8)

I've got it!

Limited edition... involving Mr. Darlage...

It's an iron bound book and the cover is made from Vincent's flesh. Now that'd be classy and unique and entirely in the Conan spirit.

I'm impressed he's allowing himself to be sacrificed in this way.

Demetrio said:
I've got it!

Limited edition... involving Mr. Darlage...

It's an iron bound book and the cover is made from Vincent's flesh. Now that'd be classy and unique and entirely in the Conan spirit.

I'm impressed he's allowing himself to be sacrificed in this way.

Well, he is really dedicated.

What if its a Win A Free Date and Trip to Blasphemous Summoning with Thoth-Amon! The Grand Prize winner would be able to sell his soul for sorcerous powers to a horrible monster from beyond time and space. And a Segway...covered in vipers.

MGBM said:
Unless the surprise is Vincent back in the team.

Not to spoil anything, but we have already said that Mr Darlage has been hard at work for some time on a Super Secret Project that just _may_ have something to do with Conan. . .

Back