Lone Wolf Board Game on the way

hal

Mongoose
Greywood Publishing (http://greywoodpublishing.com/) posted this:

Greywood Publishing has teamed up with Gary Chalk to produce a Lone Wolf board game. The war game is set in the world of Magnamund and will feature Gary's artwork throughout. Gary is an established game designer having been involved as an artist for the Talisman board game from Games Workshop as well as designing games such as Battle Cars and Cry Havoc. Gary is most famed as an artist, creating all of the Lone Wolf artwork for the game book series by Joe Dever.

Squee

All I have heard, and understand this is a rumor that's worth what you paid for it, is that it's a little like Risk, a little like Talisman. Seeing the creative team behind it, I definitely believe the latter at least...

-A

MongooseAugust said:
All I have heard, and understand this is a rumor that's worth what you paid for it, is that it's a little like Risk, a little like Talisman. Seeing the creative team behind it, I definitely believe the latter at least...

-A

Both boardgames were okay in their time but game design has really come on since then. Hopefully Gary and his team will (vastly) improve on the dated concepts within those two games and produce something really worthy of repeat play rather than just buying and playing once and then keeping on a shelf somewhere.

I certainly agree. I am hoping for something a little closer to Fantasy Flight's gorgeous Game of Thrones board game design. I know there have been some major complains about the speed and flow of play but the design and the basics are absolutely excellent.

-A

As for boardgames, I am a bit of geek [have a membership at boardgamegeek.com] and I'm hoping the Lonewolf boardgame does really well, and has a lot of replayability.

I've got the Runebound 2nd edition base game and 1 of the expansions and 1 of the expansion decks.

With a little reworking, Lonewolf would very easily translate into the Runebound scheme. The base game has a specific storyline, driven by cards.

There is a giant map, challenge decks [3 different colours, easy, medium, hard] event cards and combat cards. Players influence the overall story but random things can happen along the way.

Theres a market deck for various items players can buy.

By adding in a "quest" deck for special story items and events, it ould be a straight forward translation.

Runebound also has a number of "big box" expansions, one of which is Ice Themed [Kalte] 1 desert themed [Vassagonia] and a ship based one [Later half of Fire on the Water] for example.

Runebound does support levelling up, but the characters dont translate from 1 game to another.

Ideally the board game will be designed so that boardgame fans [who spend $100s a year on boardgames] will also enjoy it and encourage expansions. That would help grow the LW brand as well.

As far as I'm aware Greywood Publishing is run by Jamie Wallis (who did the Fighting Fantasy d20 adventures for Myriador). I like the idea of him doing a Lone Wolf board game with Gary Chalk's artwork. I just hope he's got Joe Dever's permission :).

Sounds promising.

As said above, theres a lot of good boardgames that Lonewolf could easily be styled upon and then improved to make a stellar product.

Just remember not to promise it too soon and then not deliver, and make sure its thoroughly playtested since theres room for oodles of expansions.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
As far as I'm aware Greywood Publishing is run by Jamie Wallis (who did the Fighting Fantasy d20 adventures for Myriador). I like the idea of him doing a Lone Wolf board game with Gary Chalk's artwork. I just hope he's got Joe Dever's permission :).

Also, Fabled Lands.

(which Gill did the new map for)

Balgin Stondraeg said:

Yup :) And we have just done, as The Wolf pointed out, the Fabled Lands RPG as well.

As a massive Lone Wolf fan I'm looking forward to working on the board game with Jamie and Gary.

-Shane Garvey

Hi all.
A LW board game is a fabulous new. Wish to hear this since I was a kid and I'm very happy to know that Gary is going to be involved in the project (for me the best illustrator for Joe's books).
Make me feel a kid again and that's not easy, trust me. Hope the product be worth buying it.
Please keep us informed.

Regards.

The Greywood website has some images up:

http://www.greywoodpublishing.com/lwwg.html

I've also got a copy of the rules and will be giving them a good look over soon :)

Very nice drawings, I really love Gary's style.

You got a copy of the rules?
Great.

Would they be easily available?

Back