Living Conan?

Outlaw

Mongoose
I know Mongoose hasn't pursued the idea with Bab5 or Slaine, but I was wondering if any efforts were planned on a Living Conan. Although the RPGA may not be as prevelent in the UK, it's an indespensible marketing tool in the US that requires little monetary input and has high returns in product interest, product sold and word of mouth.

For the past year I was the director of Living Kalamar and it took only 1 month for Kenzer & Co. to notice an increase in sales in the Kalamar line.

I'm definitely hoping to see something similar with the Conan line.

We have actually been in contact with the RPGa over several such projects. However, things take so long to organise, volunteers need to be agthered up and, last I spoke with the RPGA, they were concerned over having too many lines to support properly. In principle, however, it is something we would like to see.

I know that AEG was not allowed to conduct a Living Stargate campaign, although they've managed to attach such modules to their Living Spycraft campaign. At the end of this year, Living Jungle, Virtual Seatle, Living Rokugan and Living City either ended or left the RPGA, so this coming year might be a good time to make such efforts.

There have been a few other campaigns that were denied membership in the RPGA up front, although other campaigns have started since then. Some of the things they look for is whether or not there is a parent company attached to the campaign, what level of interaction or support that company will give and how likely the campaign is to draw new members. I'd like to think Conan could draw a significant amount of fans both from within the RPGA and newcomers (this latter point is definitely something to stress).

If you need help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask. The last year taught me a lot about organizing and building a living campaign from the ground up.

Conan and the D&D brand have a lot in common, I think it'd be a good partnership...though WotC *might*
have a problem with the art that is on the borders, what with that content inclusion in the d20 license.

MrFilthyIke said:
though WotC *might* have a problem with the art that is on the borders, what with that content inclusion in the d20 license.

That's a non-issue in this case as Conan is being published under the OGL and not utilizing the d20 license (which requires the use of the D&D Player's Handbook whereas MP has stated that Conan will be totally self-contained).

As long as such artwork isn't included in the RPGA modules, it shouldn't prove too much of a hindrance. It's possible some may say that ignoring naked women etc is a disservice, but they were never the focus of Conan and thus keeping them on the sidelines is just good judgment.

I have no problem with the images in the book's border as it certainly is representative of the genre (although may sway some parents' decisions on whether to let their children play the game).

Outlaw said:
I have no problem with the images in the book's border as it certainly is representative of the genre (although may sway some parents' decisions on whether to let their children play the game).

That's what I meant Joe, it might become an issue as parents let their kids play, and when they go to buy the book (required for rules/creation) see the border art. Just my concern that it would be, well...MADE into an issue (for me it's not, I think the art is perfect for the genre).

MrFilthyIke said:
Outlaw said:

That's what I meant Joe, it might become an issue as parents let their kids play, and when they go to buy the book (required for rules/creation) see the border art. Just my concern that it would be, well...MADE into an issue (for me it's not, I think the art is perfect for the genre).

Well, it's too late for that discussion now. If they're going to make a January pub date, the book's been at the printer for a couple of weeks, at least.

The concept of Living Conan has intrigued me since the announcement of the Conan RPG. As a former member of the Living Greyhawk Triad for a region in the U.S.A., I can tell you that it's no easy task to manage a worldwide or even nationwide campaign. Even for smaller campaigns, it requires expertise and ambition to create a good campaign and to keep it running. A good friend of mine runs the Middle Earth version and he has his hands full :)

There are three main things to worry about:

1. Getting enough scenarios (about 15 per year minimum)
2. Putting out a "Living" specific campaign rule document that helps to clarify any non-standardized issues from the standard hardcover.
3. Getting judges and conventions to carry the games (mainly just finding judges is difficult..in a brand new non-D&D game it is even more difficult)

If anyone decides to head up something like this, I would be on board to help write scenarios and edit documents.

Jay Hafner
Denver, CO USA

I know my time would be limited, so of little use to a Living campaign
staff...I could at least play "cheerleader" for the games.

"Gimme a C! Gimme an A! Gimme an N! Gimme...hey get you hand of my butt Conan, I'm not a woman!"

Or something like that. :)

I'd be at least willing to help drum up interest.

Emirikol said:
1. Getting enough scenarios (about 15 per year minimum)

Thankfully, this isn't an issue until about the third year of a successful campaign. For all non-WotC owned campaigns, the RPGA dictates how many modules a year they may release. All new campaigns range between 6 adn 12 modules in their first and second years and go from there (Kalamar's third year has their module count increasing to 14; Living Arcanis had theirs increased to 20 for 2004 while Living Dragonstar had theirs decreased to 6).

The more important thing is to have a number of modules available up front (the campaign's premier should have at least two modules for people to play, and then a new module premiering shortly after that to maintain interest). The campaign should have at least four modules finished and waiting for distribution before the campaign even starts.

That, of course, is always the hardest part. :)

Outlaw said:
That, of course, is always the hardest part. :)

It's simply good business sense, have a plan ready to go, before you even start. :)

Back