Life Support Costs

BP said:
Ah it is really so clear - "Life Support" = "Protection Monies"! So it is based on RW!
Of course, just look at the title: "Grandfather". Imagine an old, fat droyne
who looks a bit like Marlon Brando and who has the ultimate power to ma-
ke an offer no sentient creature can afford to refuse.

pasuuli said:
Edsan said:
Life Support Costs.

What are these exactly, what is that money paying for and why are the prices so steep?

Probably an artifact (?) from CT. It could have been dropped without harming the rules, I suspect...

I agree. I only make them pay life support costs when the stateroom is occupied.

rust said:
BP said:
pasuuli said:
...Probably an artifact (?)...
Ah Ha! We have the answer - it is a mystery of the Ancients! :D
Indeed. I mean, Grandfather has to finance his operation somehow, and
pocket universes do not come cheap nowadays, with all those steadily in-
creasing prices and taxes and all that.

So Grandfather created a series of memes that convince humans and all
those other lower creatures that they have to pay those 2,000 Credits per
month per stateroom for "life support", and this money is secretly collec-
ted by invisible Droyne agents and sent to Grandfather to support his lu-
xurious life style (that's why it is called "life support").

And if you do not believe me, ask Dave Chase, he has first hand experi-
ence of what Grandfather's memes can do.

Yessir. 8)
LOL I was about to ask if he knew yet. Perhaps Grandfather hasn't broken the news to him yet - though I imagine, judging by the piles of credits the old guy's sitting on like a Zhodani oligarch with too many "nieces" and too much time on his hands, that he could quickly figure things out ...

Paladin said:
Overall replacement cost - "entropy expense" Stuff just plain wears out and needs to be replaced. It may not happen every jump, but eventually certain elements of the overall system will need to be repaired or completely replaced.

And the big percentage is probably the beings that are paid to inspect, replace, and safety check everything during this process. And probably replacing some of the various bits that don't really need replacing....

Labour charges would still likely be the killer, I can't see that changing in the next millenium or two.

Silvereye said:
...And the big percentage is probably the beings that are paid to inspect, replace, and safety check everything during this process. And probably replacing some of the various bits that don't really need replacing....

Labour charges would still likely be the killer, I can't see that changing in the next millenium or two.
Ah - that I can grok - especially labor to clean, inspect, and replace. For PCs some of these costs can be avoided with DIY methods (and cutting corners - i.e. 'washing' filters and spraying fabreeze). Official 'certified' inspections being 'obtainable' at reduced prices, of course ;)

From a gaming perspective I like the flat 2000Cr for life support/stateroom being a little high. Then when they're on planets we can gloss over all the niggling little incidental costs like food, transportation and communication as already being covered. I hate trying to come up with what cab fare might be on whichever TL8 world they happen to be on.

My players just have a rule that no booze gets bought with ship money; it comes out of your wages. The engineer PC is quite the lush and it keeps him in indentured servitude.

I've toyed with these ideas:

* Unoccupied staterooms do not cost any money.

* Crew pay their own stateroom upkeep out of their salaries. (This is inspired by Yankee Ship practices during the 19th Century.) Passenger's tickets naturally include the price of their stateroom refits.

* The 2000Cr is to "spiff up" the room and pay for food, etc. If players don't have the money (or don't want to spend it), they can live in squalor. :)

* The 2000Cr price is negotiable, since it includes both labor and supplies.

hdan said:
...* Crew pay their own stateroom upkeep out of their salaries. (This is inspired by Yankee Ship practices during the 19th Century.) Passenger's tickets naturally include the price of their stateroom refits.
With the 'official' salaries that would mean your 'squalor' idea generally applies to Stewards, Gunners and Marines (with Cr 2,000 monthly). :eek:

Back