Levitation - I Want to Levitate!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

First of all, let me say, great game! It's sheer joy to have such a large, well made Lone Wolf book, and great to see people actively working in Magnamund again!

I've got one issue, though - is my mind playing tricks on me, or is it not possible to levitate using the Brotherhood spell, Levitation?

My memory of using this spell as Lone Wolf (with Kai Alchemy) may be a bit faded, but didn't it let you hover vertically through the air, moving up or down, but not sideways, as you needed?

The book describes the three tiers of Levitation as all being variations on Slow Fall - which was another great Kai Alchemy spell I remember using. However, there's no power that just lets you levitate up or down. You can get the Power Word of Motion, but that gives you full three dimensional flight - which is very good, but a bit of a sharp ascent from having no mobility increasing effect at all.

Did I misremember what Levitation can do, or is this a balance thing, or an oversight?

Tarnak, you do not misremember. However, I am quite sure that you will find rulings for variant uses of brotherhood spells (subspells) in the upcoming, already guaranteed hit, Magik of Magnamund written by August Hahn.

Until then, I suggest work with your group and work out a temporary houserule. For instance, rework Tier 2 of levitate so it includes the following: the mage can go up/down 30' as a move action. (it still takes a standard action to cast the spell though). The duration is wizard class levels. Upon gaining level 10+, increase the duration to 60'.

This should allow the wizard to levitate above the battlefield, and start throwing out powerful spells at those pesky giaks, szall's and darklords.

Tarnak, you do not misremember. However, I am quite sure that you will find rulings for variant uses of brotherhood spells (subspells) in the upcoming, already guaranteed hit, Magik of Magnamund written by August Hahn.

Until then, I suggest work with your group and work out a temporary houserule. For instance, rework Tier 2 of levitate so it includes the following: the mage can go up/down 30' as a move action. (it still takes a standard action to cast the spell though). The duration is wizard class levels. Upon gaining level 10+, increase the duration to 60'.

Sounds great!

Thanks a lot.

On the matter of sub-spells and other Brootherhood magic, I'd love to see the spell that Banedon uses to create facsimiles of buildings. Maybe not the flashest spell ever, but I really liked it!

Back