Learning Sorcery

Jose-san

Mongoose
I think I'm not understanding this well...

Core rulebook page 52 said:
LEARNING NEW ADVANCED SKILLS THROUGH TRAINING
The following Advanced Skills can only be learned by an Adventurer if he has a teacher or mentor to teach him:
[...]
* Sorcery and Manipulation
[...]
It takes one month for the Adventurer to emerge with the Advanced skill at its basic, characteristic derived score. From that point on, the skill can then be improved thorugh either Improvement Rolls or training.

Does the adventurer have to spend improvement rolls in addition to training to get one of those skills?

Core rulebook page 127 said:
[...] to change which spells he has memorised, a sorcerer must spend 1D6 hours expelling an old spell from memory and memorising a new one from its grimoire.

This seems pretty straightforward to me. If a sorcerer has access to a grimoire for which he has the skill, he can memorise/swap any spell from it spending 1D6 study hours.

Core rulebook page 129 said:
ACQUIRING SORCERY
Characters desiring to learn sorcery must fulfil certain conditions:

* Have access to the grimoire from which the spell originates
* Be able to read the language of the grimoire
* Have time to conduct the study in quite and solitude
* Possess enough Improvement Rolls to lean the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill from that Grimoire

No matter how many spells are contained within, it requieres one week of studying a grimoire to gain its specific Sorcery (Grimoire) skill. [...]

Each spell takes a further week and two Improvement Rolls to learn, [...]

I'm trying to put all of this together:

- The sorcerer must spend a week and 2 IR to learn the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill and a week and 2 IR to learn each spell (each spell from a grimoire must be learned independently).
- Only learned spells from a grimoire can be memorised (spending 1D6 hours).
- I guess the "sorcery" skill shouldn't appear on the page 52 list.

(edited text in bold)

Each Grimoire has its own Grimoire skill. A Sorceror usually is inducted into an Order's school and learns the order's Grimoire. If he manages to gain access to another Grimoire, he learns that grimoire's skill at base. Some orders have limited access to other order's grimoires; the skills are detailed specially in each case. It's similar to divine worshippers casting allied cult's skills at half-skill.

Manipulation is universal to all schools, however.

Yes, I understand that. My doubts are wheter sorcerers need to learn each spell individually from a grimoire or learning the grimoire skill give them access to all its spells. And whether sorcerers needs to spend IRs to learn grimoires/spells or not.

Jose-san said:
Yes, I understand that. My doubts are wheter sorcerers need to learn each spell individually from a grimoire or learning the grimoire skill give them access to all its spells. And whether sorcerers needs to spend IRs to learn grimoires/spells or not.

They need to learn each spell individually. If you learn the Sorcery(Conjuration) grimoire, and it has 6 spells in it - then you need to learn all 6 spells individually, at a total of 12 IRs... unless you decide to skip some spells of course.

- Dan

The rules also say that at character creation a character with access to a Grimoire learns 4 of its spells, limited by rank, of course. Now, your games may add restrictions; in some settings, access to Grimoires may be limited by social status or favor. An order may ensure that an apprentice's first spells be ones where he can assist a more senior member. Or, learning spells may be tied to a plot hook, as in "I'll teach you Bladesharp 4/Damage Resistance/help you integrate a strong Gazelle Legs spirit if you do me this one little favor."

Man, I'm going to have o read up on this. I didn't realise Sorcery was so complicated...and costly! No wonder I prefer the Rune magic and summoning from Elric!

EricJ said:
The rules also say that at character creation a character with access to a Grimoire learns 4 of its spells, limited by rank, of course.

Ok, I missed this.

Core rulebook said:
Sorcerers and Witches: Gain a Grimoire appropiate to their cult. If a pre-defined cult is being used then the spells contained in the Grimoire will be already determined. If a Grimoire needs to be developed from scratch, it will contain up to four Sorcery spells appropiate to the sorcery order's nature and teachings.

What does it mean "Gain a Grimoire"? Gain the grimoire skill, learn all of its spells or the book itself (I don't think so)? Does the character begin with all the spells in the grimoire learned? If not, how many does he know at character creation?

Yeah it's kindda weird. The book is contradictory, since the teaching stuff says it takes a month, while the acquiring sorcery says it takes a week + 1 week per spell.

I'd make it DM Fiat, but I see no reason why I would punish a player this hard in price of improvement rolls + time for not starting with sorcery.

Back