Lawmaster "BAB" and Ramming Pedestrians

A

Anonymous

Couple of short questions:

The description of the Bike Computer says BAB = +1. This *doesn't* include the extra +1 for the Fire control System, right? So actual to hit roll for a Lawmaster is +2?

When ramming, it's an opposed drive skill check. What skill does a pedestrian who is trying to avoid being run over use to oppose the drivers Drive skill? Or should his Defence Value (with no roll) be used instead?

MAYHEM said:
Couple of short questions:

The description of the Bike Computer says BAB = +1. This *doesn't* include the extra +1 for the Fire control System, right? So actual to hit roll for a Lawmaster is +2?

When ramming, it's an opposed drive skill check. What skill does a pedestrian who is trying to avoid being run over use to oppose the drivers Drive skill? Or should his Defence Value (with no roll) be used instead?

Hi Mayhem,
I don't know if you have seen my expanded Lawmaster article 'Get your Motor Running', in Signs and Portents #3 or not yet, but the bike now makes ranged attacks with as if it had an attack value of 14. This is to simulate that the bikes computers are far more acurate than all but the most skilled marksman.

As for ramming pedestrians! Well that wasn't something I had in mind when I expanded the basic rules for the bikes, but I would suggest that if you wish to have a pedestrian aviod being hit by a bike or any other vehicle, that they should make a Dodge check at DC 15 or higher if the GM wishes. Obviously if the vehicle is travelling at high speed it will be next to impossible to move out of the way without being clipped.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Dredd Times said:
As for ramming pedestrians! Well that wasn't something I had in mind when I expanded the basic rules for the bikes, but I would suggest that if you wish to have a pedestrian aviod being hit by a bike or any other vehicle, that they should make a Dodge check at DC 15 or higher if the GM wishes. Obviously if the vehicle is travelling at high speed it will be next to impossible to move out of the way without being clipped.

I'd say it was opposed check between the attacking characters Drive (or Ride) skill and the pedestrians Reflex save with a suitable penalty based on the size and speed of the vehicle - an alert character could probably get out of the way of a bike moving at 30 mph, but you'd need to be super-human to avoid a jugger moving at 200 mph!

However, ramming a pedestrian on a bike (and probably a car) would force a Control Loss check.

Oh, I never intended anyone to ram a pedestrian on a bike - but I can well forsee a perp mowing down pedestrians in a more solid vehicle, and couldn't help but notice the absense of an explanation vis the mechanic.

(Whats a "dodge roll?")

The pedestrians Defence Value seems to be the best representation for this - maybe rolling a D20 instead of using the usual +10.

The idea of the bike cannon being a superb shot goes against the grain of the comic dont y'all think? The bike cannons effectiveness is mowing down multiple opponents, not making pinpoint sniper attacks - leave that to the judge... the Lawmasters very design - limited firing arc and wheel turning circle makes it a duff shot, but expert at blowing away hordes of muties.

lawbabe said:
The idea of the bike cannon being a superb shot goes against the grain of the comic dont y'all think? The bike cannons effectiveness is mowing down multiple opponents, not making pinpoint sniper attacks - leave that to the judge... the Lawmasters very design - limited firing arc and wheel turning circle makes it a duff shot, but expert at blowing away hordes of muties.

I Agree - A Judge and his bike operating serperately are lethal enough without adding the bike cannons in on BAB +14.... Ok I think for a mounted judge, but not for an indepdently operating bike....

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

14 does seem a bit too high for the bike - I don't recall many instances of a bike being asked to pick off single targets, sniper-like, which is exactly what I can imagine players doing when their bikes BAB is twice theirs.

Yea, the Lawmaster is more a tank than a human-scale backup. It is designed to take down opponents beyond the scope of its judge rider - walls, mobs, dinosaurs, etc. I think you see the very rare occurance of a single bike cannon in operation, but always fired by its rider. Theres that thing called artistic license too, when continuity is not observed as tightly as it should be and Lawmasters perform actions they could not 'realistically' pull off. As bike cannon normally fire in pairs, they can't have pinpoint accuracy, but can spray enough lead to blow away the legs of tap gangs and rampaging mutie scum!! Soz I cant suggest new rules amendments but I dont use d20 :(

Back