Lankhmar

Don Allen

Mongoose
I have never read the Lankhmar stories. Will this make a good setting for runequest do you think?

What is that world like? What makes it distinctive?

Will you use Lankhmar?

I *love* the Cliff's Notes version of the Lankhmar stories, and I love the setting in and of itself. I'm just not a big fan of Leiber's writing style.

It's going to be GREAT for MRQ, and I've got more wood for Lankhmar than I do for Glorantha.

Don Allen said:
I have never read the Lankhmar stories. Will this make a good setting for runequest do you think?
Get a copy. The stories are classics and you can see where other writers get their ideas. It's a gritty, medieval universe that is somewhat reminiscent of Conan but in which magic is much more prevalent, from lower-level, simple magics through to the stronger D&D-like magic which seems more powerful than MRQs sorcery (but it does strange things to the wielder...)

Don Allen said:
What is that world like? What makes it distinctive?
Oh. Answered that.

Don Allen said:
Will you use Lankhmar?
Almost certainly. iamtim's imagery aside, it is a very rich background and one I loved for years.

Cool, sounds like I will wait for Lankhmar then. Glorantha, from what I could tell isn't quite the style I was looking for.

Don Allen said:
Runequest is Perfect for Lankmar. I have run Lankmah games in AD&D, GURPS and FUDGE. They are always a hit with the players.
Will you use Lankhmar?
I am so eager for this setting I may have to start running some Lankmar 1-shots using my existing notes for other systems.

Cool, sounds like I will wait for Lankhmar then. Glorantha, from what I could tell isn't quite the style I was looking for.

Lankhmar is very cool - loved the books. I just wonder how we put you off Glorantha in the excellent thread you started. Would you mind giving some feedback on that ?

The best of Lankhmar is, IMO, swords of Lankhmar which is very strange but an excellent idea in the underworld.
And it's not everyday you have to contend with a massive (smart) rats invasion

The King said:
The best of Lankhmar is, IMO, swords of Lankhmar which is very strange but an excellent idea in the underworld.
And it's ot everyday you have to contend with a massive (smart) rats invasion

Lankhmar Below is mentioned in the sourcebook, natch.

And while Bazaar of the Bizarre, The Swords of Lankhmar and Lean Times in Lankhmar are generally regarded as the best stories, my personal faves are also The Cloud of Hate, Claws in the Night and Thieves' House.

Lankhmar is, quite simply, the best fantasy city ever imagined. I loved every single second of writing that book, and I consider it an honour that I got the chance to do it.

I'm *really* looking forward to seeing that sourcebook.

I know nothing of Lankhmar, zero, zilch - and I find RPG sourcebooks are usually the perfect introduction in these circumstances. Once I've read a sourcebook I'll go-a-novel-hunting ;)

mthomason said:

I know nothing of Lankhmar, zero, zilch - and I find RPG sourcebooks are usually the perfect introduction in these circumstances. Once I've read a sourcebook I'll go-a-novel-hunting ;)

At the very least, you owe it to yourself to read Swords of Lankhmar. That novel is so excellent on so many levels. It would be damning to view it as merely an adjunct to an RPG setting.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
At the very least, you owe it to yourself to read Swords of Lankhmar. That novel is so excellent on so many levels. It would be damning to view it as merely an adjunct to an RPG setting.

Oh, its not so much that as being able to enjoy the books more once I comprehend the background. RPG sourcebooks condense most of the important facts to allow my puny mind to absorb the background better, and then I can visualise the world in my head while I read the novels :)

Non-RPG sourcebooks would work, but the RPG ones are easier to locate, usually better done, and I can get them cheaper ;)

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
mthomason said:

If not reading them chronologically, there are still many stories I'd read before The Swords of Lankhmar. That one is a little mental in places with some pretty odd concepts that were never referenced before, and both Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are in their primes - they're already legends, even. Ill Met in Lankhmar is still surely the 1st story of choice.

Dead Blue Clown said:
GbajiTheDeceiver said:
mthomason said:

If not reading them chronologically, there are still many stories I'd read before The Swords of Lankhmar. That one is a little mental in places with some pretty odd concepts that were never referenced before, and both Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are in their primes - they're already legends, even. Ill Met in Lankhmar is still surely the 1st story of choice.

That's also a good call, and a very fine choice too.

What was that one where the Mouser joins some weird cult? Ah yes, Lean Times in Lankhmar. I loved that one. All this talk is making me want to read them again!!! It's been years...

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
Dead Blue Clown said:
GbajiTheDeceiver said:

That's also a good call, and a very fine choice too.

What was that one where the Mouser joins some weird cult? Ah yes, Lean Times in Lankhmar. I loved that one. All this talk is making me want to read them again!!! It's been years...

Such a brilliant story, and actually laugh-out-loud funny in places. Fafhrd joined the cult of Issek ("WHERE IS THE JUG?") of the Jug. The Mouser worked as an extortionist, extorting the religions along the Street of the Gods. If that's not genius, nothing is. :)

Dead Blue Clown said:
GbajiTheDeceiver said:

Such a brilliant story, and actually laugh-out-loud funny in places. Fafhrd joined the cult of Issek ("WHERE IS THE JUG?") of the Jug. The Mouser worked as an extortionist, extorting the religions along the Street of the Gods. If that's not genius, nothing is. :)

Ah, wrong way round. Told you it had been years!

Time to drag out my old "Swords in the Mist", then. Goodnight all!

leiberswordsinthemist7.jpg

Lean Times is great and I loved the Cloud of Hate story as well. Truth is Lhankmar is my favourite fiction fantasy world (as opposed to gaming fantasy world - that would be Glorantha) out there and I love Leiber's stories, although it had been years since I had read the stories (although quite a few I have read agan since I found out we were going to do this with MRQ).

mthomason said:
Non-RPG sourcebooks would work, but the RPG ones are easier to locate, usually better done, and I can get them cheaper ;)
You're wrong. You can read the whole of Lakhmar for less than £15.
- http://www.amazon.co.uk/-First-Book-Lankhmar-Millennium-Fantasy-Masterworks-S-/dp/1857983270/ref=sr_11_1/026-4191249-1812455?ie=UTF8
- http://www.amazon.co.uk/-Second-Book-Lankhmar-Fantasy-Masterworks-S-/dp/0575073586/ref=sr_11_1/026-4191249-1812455?ie=UTF8

The King said:
mthomason said:
You're wrong. You can read the whole of Lakhmar for less than £15.

They're the ones I had to get, since my dad's old copies were too ratty to reread yet again.

Back