Land of Ice and Stone

Scooped :)

This is indeed it. And, having edited it, I have to say there are some fascinating ideas in this book...

Prime_Evil said:
Nice :)

Any update on the projected release date? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

For print (it will be going to local games stores), months, probably early next year. The ebook, a good deal sooner - we are just a little swamped at the moment on our art and graphic design side (blame 2300AD fans :)) but as soon as that is cleared, we'll be full bore on this one!

This sounds really interesting! I recently had a Ice Age/ Sword & Sorcery encounter in my 1930's Justice League game. Having a campaign set then could be really cool, no pun intended.

Agreed, just about every fantasy game seems to have a region with primitive barbarians. This book could fill the lower tech end of something like that.

In my setting, the far north is very primitive and I will definitely be pulling some stuff from this book to flesh out that area.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Agreed, just about every fantasy game seems to have a region with primitive barbarians. This book could fill the lower tech end of something like that.

In my setting, the far north is very primitive and I will definitely be pulling some stuff from this book to flesh out that area.

Same for my own setting, so really looking forward to getting this once it comes out.

Another couple of questions - is this a standalone book or the first in a new product line? Also, will any of the contents be released as OGC?

For those that like to mine ideas from other rules settings (guilty).

This book might also be really cool for ORC or GOBLIN cultures in D20/Pathfinder/D&D...

Just saying.

I have read those books and agree that it could be a cool inspiration.

I hope this book discusses the Paleolithic versions of non-human races as well, such as proto-Elves, proto-Dwarves etc. I know that Legend down-plays those types of things, but it would be interesting to consider what these primitive versions of non-humans would be like and more importantly how would they be different than Neaderthals or Cro Magnons.

Very few RPG's have ever done elves and dwarves from folklore rather than rip offs of D&D creatures and they stole all their ideas about elves and dwarves from the Professor's work. I can't think of a common RPG which does non-humans as anything other than pseudo-humans with bonuses.

strega said:
Very few RPG's have ever done elves and dwarves from folklore rather than rip offs of D&D creatures and they stole all their ideas about elves and dwarves from the Professor's work. I can't think of a common RPG which does non-humans as anything other than pseudo-humans with bonuses.
RuneQuest.

Lord High Munchkin said:
strega said:
RuneQuest.

I did say common and bolded it to specifically make that point. I'd hardly classify RQ as a common RPG. Even if you add up all the various iterations of RQ, and I've been playing it since 1st edition back in 1978, you'd not get even close to the numbers of players of even one edition of D&D or Call of Cthulhu. So I stand by my comment that most fantasy RPG's use D&D's pseudo-humans with special bonuses and these are based on Tolkien's non-humans rather than any versions found in folklore.

medievaladventures said:
Google told me to look at http://www.soltakss.com/stormspeargames/ssg0101.html :D

Damn! I forgot to take that down - it was something I was playing around with last year.

It has been taken down now - nothing to see here, please move along.

Prime_Evil said:
medievaladventures said:
Google told me to look at http://www.soltakss.com/stormspeargames/ssg0101.html :D

Nice detective work!

Not really. :(

Prime_Evil said:
And this is a cool topic for a book - so far as I am aware nobody has touched the topic since GURPS Ice Age :D

I like the idea of a campaign with a Clan of the Cave Bear vibe - and Spirit Magic would work very well in such a setting.

It has nothing to do with Clan of the Cave Bear - honest. However, the Earth's Children series is one of my favourites.

Prime_Evil said:
And this is a cool topic for a book - so far as I am aware nobody has touched the topic since GURPS Ice Age :D

I like the idea of a campaign with a Clan of the Cave Bear vibe - and Spirit Magic would work very well in such a setting.

That's what I thought. Magic is there, with a few primitive cults, but more along the lines of getting little blessings to help with tasks. I use Common Magic, not Spirit Magic, as shamanism is not well developed. Historically, the steppe nomads, for example, did not really get complex shamanist practices until quite late, so I cannot see Spirit Magic working that well. Survival is far more important than trying to bargain with dangerous spirits.

Lord High Munchkin said:
I wonder how similar it is to the old Basic Role-playing game 'Hominid' (that is out there on the web somewhere)?

I haven't seen or heard of that game, so I do not know.

My guess would be Ice Age people and other peoples that live near the arctic/antarctic circles?

NAILED IT! :D

Not near the arctic, as that is far too cold for many people to live. South of France is more like it. Look where cave art was found.

I have read those books and agree that it could be a cool inspiration.

I hope this book discusses the Paleolithic versions of non-human races as well, such as proto-Elves, proto-Dwarves etc. I know that Legend down-plays those types of things, but it would be interesting to consider what these primitive versions of non-humans would be like and more importantly how would they be different than Neaderthals or Cro Magnons.

That isn't the route I went down, to be honest. Pretty vanilla - Cro Magnons, early modern man, Neanderthals are what I went with. I thought of having fantastic creatures, but decided against it. Proto-dwarves, proto-elves and such like do not fit my idea of the Upper Paleolithic/Old Stone Age. Sure, Neanderthals might have been a racial memory of ogres and the like, but I didn't want to explore that.

Back