JMS: More B5 Coming?

LoneStranger said:
Well any show can come in under budget and on time as long as the production crew knows what it's doing, the directors keep production moving along smoothly, and the cast truely enjoys what they're doing and don't get too full of themselves.

It's entirely a team effort.

Absolutely, but how often does that truly happen? In Hollywood of all places? Maybe I'm being a little unfair, but I think B5, at least in its day, was a rarity by coming in at or under budget.

Still, at least they have a budget for shows out there. Things made over here in the UK tend to be put together on a wing and a prayer, unless it's a costume drama, or the 13th remake of the year of 'Pride and Prejudice'.... :?

Anyway, fingers crossed we hear something soon....

Well JMS doesn't strike me as the classic Hollywood type based on what I've heard, so I think he could find a way to get people motivated to want to create a quality show, especially after they find out it's not simple episodes but an actual story being put together.

Babylon 5 Aide said:
Weren't we supposed to know something about what was going on today?

There is still quite a few hours left here today - and more in the American timezones.

On the subject of TV Shows...the level of illogicality (is that a word? it is now...) goes beyond ratings...

Odyssey 5, a show I liked very much (despite the gratuitous unnecessary swearing and boob shots necessary to placate the US Cable network), was cancelled despite being the highest rated show on the network.

VB

Odyssey 5 was a very cool show, with a great story arc.

Why does the good stuff get cancelled? And why can't British companies make good sci-fi/fantassy shows?

Greg Smith said:
Odyssey 5 was a very cool show, with a great story arc.

Why does the good stuff get cancelled?

Sod's Law :(

Greg Smith said:
And why can't British companies make good sci-fi/fantasy shows?

It's more a question of "don't" than "can't". There's been some truly excellent series of late, just not many of them :(

Neverwhere, Ultraviolet and Strange come straight to mind though several years apart and with not much sign of other series between them. (Invasion Earth was unforgivable though...)

frobisher said:
Greg Smith said:
And why can't British companies make good sci-fi/fantasy shows?

It's more a question of "don't" than "can't". There's been some truly excellent series of late, just not many of them :(

Neverwhere, Ultraviolet and Strange come straight to mind though several years apart and with not much sign of other series between them. (Invasion Earth was unforgivable though...)

British companies also don't make 'good' sci-fi shows because we can't afford them, or to do their scripts real justice. Even something with a oodles of originality, like Neverwhere, is hampered by appalling budgets. Unfortunately, the look of cheesy cardboard sets (made with Weetabix packets, apparently) that plague 1970's and early 1980's sci-fi is hard to shake. Red Dwarf was perhaps the exception to this, but that was part sci-fi, part smegging comedy :)

There are exceptions, but they tend to sneak out from under the radar with stealth abilities that the Americans would love the next generation of F117's and B2's to have. Whilst they may possess writing excellence in abundance, the eye candy is what hooks in many casual viewers, IMHO.

I had hoped that the advent of digital effects would help the general state of British science fiction, but it doesn't seem to have kicked off as I would like. And anyone who mentions the abysmal Bugs, I'll see you in front of the cantina at high noon :twisted:

Chobbly

Chobbly said:
Red Dwarf was perhaps the exception to this

:idea: Red Dwarf got around the problem of having a tiny budget by almost never leaving the ship for the first several seasons. It costs a lot more to build 40 sets then it does to build 4.

nothing as of yet.... Eryx.. but he also did say that the chances are that it probably wont be announced untill closer to the end of the month.... we still have another week...

Hi all,

Not sure of the authenticity of this (important caveat to deflect potential abuse), but at least if it's genuine we've got an acronym, and another (slight) delay...

http://www.jmsnews.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=cc95ffc6a19a0dfcb83aa5ea0a75bbbc&threadid=74

And I'm sure its 'B5:The Muppets of Speculation' :) Of which by implication I am one :wink:

Chobbly

I guess all we can do is wait and see..... Im wondering what TMoS stands for.. iv been wracking my brain for a while trying to figure what it could stand for but have absolutly NO ideas....

Back