Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Traps/Poisons/Diseases

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

dmccoy1693

Cosmic Mongoose
If you haven't seen, we just released the 5 cults that I published on my website for free in a single downloadable PDF: Legendary Factions: Common Factions 1. If you like this kind of "try before you buy" style of publishing, be sure to pick up these cults.

If this first publication is a success, we'd like to continue the free item a week and bundle it up into a new product. We've got a number of ideas:

New Monsters: I've published 2 monster books for Pathfinder and I am thinking about converting them over to Legend.

NPCs: Would you like to see a book of NPCs? My thought would be start off with common NPCs like a town guard, captain of the guard, beggar, thief, black smith, nobleman, etc and then later publish a villain and his/her henchmen. How does that sound?

Cults: As you've seen but with more customization.

Spells: Common, divine, arcane, blood, etc. 2-3/week.

Traps/Poisons/Diseases: This is more of a miscellaneous category of dangers. Magical and mundane.

Other: Please share your thoughts.

Please choose your top 3 preferences.

General Thoughts
I dont really like the "try before you buy" to this extent. I would rather see a portion of the book be try before you buy, with a summary of the contents to give an idea of whats in there, with the book containing many things that are not in the free sample. In this case I bought it more to support the idea of more stuff for legend, not because I like the publishing model.

What I Really Want
I want well fleshed out thematically grouped materials; not so much disparate collections of X. And ideally, include a few plot hooks into each of these groupings as well.

I like the idea of the new Orc Stronghold book(though I havent gotten it yet), for example, and RQ Vikings(though it could have really used some sample NPCs).

Though I can see a line of "Common medieval fantasy NPCs" such as barmaids and thieves and town guards as well.
----------------------------------------------
NPCs+Factions
I'd love to see NPC Books, Ideally sorted by theme, but one of the most common NPCs would still be helpful. Come to think of it, many of these would go great with a faction; by making more tightly themed releases, as opposed to by content.

Example:
"The Iron Hand"
Mercenary Faction Spelled out.
Collection of like a dozen to two dozen NPCs in the guild, plus like 3 named NPC leaders.
The NPCs have names, goals, and personalities; and just a little bit of history - stuff that will be useful when running them.

Then you could do other books as well: One Faction, many supporting NPCs, a map of their base of operations if possible.

I noticed your cults had no statistics. I know there isnt a "factions" book for Legend yet, but didn't they say that the RQII stuff (and some RQI stuff) is still compatible in the meantime? I like the idea of having stats for guilds, is all.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Nomadic Groups, Villages, Cities, Keeps, Noble Houses, Kingdoms, Empires
I love the idea of premade groups and locales I can just drop down and use.
Cultures and Races
Like RuneQuest II Vikings (and I presume Vikings of Legend as well): A detailed race and culture; with any applicable factions/cults, and any needed racial stats or unique magic stuff. I like that it has like 2 pages of random names.
Monsters
This RPG seems to be lacking in monsters (it could use more of them). I think many of the OGC Pathfinder monsters would be great converted to Legend, though certainly any inspired original monsters are also welcome.

For NPCs it would be helpful to know what was rolled, especially for the advanced NPCs. That way if we want to make NPCs of a different Race, we can know how to better adjust the numbers.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts? Do you want a specify kind of monsters, certain kind of cultural influence on cults, more blood magic? What are you interested in?

As Legend evolves in to its own thing, I think a more meaty Monster Tome would be a great addition to the fold. I also think that adventures, such as the very successful Pathfinder Adventure Paths would be gobbled up.

I'm sure I speak for many when I bemoan the shortage of free time to create one's own adventure modules and campaign settings!

warlock1971 said:
I'm sure I speak for many when I bemoan the shortage of free time to create one's own adventure modules and campaign settings!

Monsters are definitely doable. I'd rather hold off on adventures until I have more experience with the system. Campaign settings are generally tricky. I'll seriously look into it once I have built up more name recognition in the community.

hanszurcher said:
Mini-settings. Villages, castles and the like.

Ok, so that is 2 votes so far for Mini settings (3, if warlock1971's request for campaign settings would include mini settings), anyone else? Its a little late to add mini settings to the poll so just shout it out.

Yep, count me in. If "mini setting" means an interesting location
with interesting people in interesting circumstances, this is what
I would love to get. :wink:

I would love to see a completely detailed, fully developed HAMLET.

Say a small village of a couple dozen families. Easy to drop into any setting.

EVERY single person (kids included) are presented with full stats and personalities and plot hooks.

Once that is done, then you can start doing things to that hamlet that allow the PCs to interact with them (or be from that hamlet and now they have to protect their friends and family).

Obviously, there would have to be a small temple (or two), more than likely they are small shrines maintained by a low-level priest (or even a part time priest...). There would also be merchants that pass through fairly regularly, they could be statted as well.

There would be a "lord" over the village, but he might not be around much, his Senechel would be really running things at the almost always empty manor house. Local politics, rivalries between families, the "bad kid" and the secret wizard.

Not too over the top, but an interesting place that could be used for a long series of adventures or as a home base for a game.

Don't know that I have seen that type of thing.

I think that additional monsters are a safe bet. There are many creatures from myth, folklore, and fantasy literature that aren't included in the game at the moment - writing up 1-2 per week might be a good approach. I'd recommend making these creatures open game content so that they can be used by other publishers too - thereby increasing the value of these products to Legend fans. I'd recommend starting with mythological creatures that appear in most fantasy games, but are inexplicably missing from Legend - e.g. merfolk, hydra, chimera, succubus, pegasus, phoenix, et al.

A mini-setting is a good idea, but you probably want to get the product line started with a bunch of shorter PDFs. Developing something as complex as a detailed village requires you to sink considerable time and effort into an unproven market. Maybe that's something to look in a month or two?

One intemediate approach might be to look at the products that Raging Swan has been putting out for Pathfinder and do something similar for Legend - a complete tribe of orcs, ogres, or trolls would be very useful if it included statblocks for leaders, different types of warriors, spellcasters, et al.

Actually Come to think of it, the Raging Swan stuff is where I saw that idea before; but they usually seem to stick to collections of encounters, and I'd like to see something a little more fleshed out.

A village is definitely a bit much for something new and untested. But a Mercenary House, or a Gruff-Tribe? Or maybe a merchant caravan, with a table to randomly determine what goods they have? All of those would be awesome.

And yeah, we can always use a few more monster manuals - particularly for the common fantasy monsters we're likely to want that aren't in Legend.

I'd love to see some slightly more fightable dragons, more like pathfinder Drakes (with 2 legs and wings) and maybe closer to the size of the dragons in Skyrim. The dragons in legend are closer to the D&D variety, but because youre not superheroes in legend, theyre extra scary.

And its already come up that I needed a statblock for a Griffon (which is listed as a purchaseable mount, but has no stats). It would be nice if I didnt have to convert it over from Chaosium's simplified BRP (but at least all I had to do was calculate hit points for each location and figure out what skills it had).

It definitely appears we want all of the above though. But Legend isn't the beast of a game that Pathfinder is, and word of mouth takes time to make things more popular - so huge undertakings like detailed fortresses may not be the best idea for the immediate future; You'll be getting sales from me though, I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

I will say that I really like the idea of sticking to the same page size as mongoose (5.5x8.5) because if I buy a PDF I may want to print it, and 4 RPG pages to a page makes for cheaper printing, and because it'll fit in the handy sized box I keep all my legend stuff in, and the smaller booklets are much more pleasant to read.

Darkholme said:
And its already come up that I needed a statblock for a Griffon (which is listed as a purchaseable mount, but has no stats). It would be nice if I didnt have to convert it over from Chaosium's simplified BRP (but at least all I had to do was calculate hit points for each location and figure out what skills it had).

Ask and you shall receive.

With the body of a lion and the head, forelegs and wings of an eagle, this great beast stands proud and majestic.

It is hard to imagine the uglier sister of griffin to stand proud ... lol, BUT ... the effort is still appreciated and I am looking forward to other creatures! For inspiration I would recommend Dragon Warriors Bestiary. In this book the lore of the monsters is really good - reading just about one monster you get many adventure seeds. Griffon also could have some special twist. It would also be cool if there was info about his tactics, how he hunts, etc.

Another thing what I would be interested in seeing is mini-sandbox-setting/campaign. I am talking about very small material, 15 - 20 pages. It should include small map and description of the setting, about 3-4 places (villages, small citadel/tower, etc), maybe few of various smaller ruins or caves, taverns with additional hooks for sidequest and random treasure tables. Cults/organizations and their motives and perhaps conflict between them. Monsters, NPCs. It would be very limited material for only few (max 5) sessions. It could be re-playable when players start their adventure in different location (assumed that all start from same place). The idea of this product should be to jump-start a sandbox game easily where GM can expand this world later.

Back