I've Got My Copy!

Got my copy here in Melbourne yesterday and spent the day reading through the book, I must admit it was well worth the wait but there was a few things that kind of puzzled me however.

I got my players to make character and the guy creating a Brotherhood Magician found that he couldn't find anywhere where it mentioned how many beginning spells he had, I glanced over the class description also and found no reference to it, but surmised that he gains a single spell from the character progression table. Did I miss it in the text or was it not mentioned?

Most of the classes are tied to specific nations, and those that are not (the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star) do not even get the bonus from their homeland, so I was wondering what the point of including the homeland bonuses/adjustments was then? I guess it was for future releases.

I have to ask can we please see perhaps a few classes that can be used for any nationality/homeland? A generic man-at-arms warrior or a rogue/thief type? I know you can adapt the later classes but I was hoping for something more in line with the other classes power levels.

Arandur

There are more generic classes: warrior, commoner, adept etc. These would all gain the racial benefits from their homelands.

Ariandur: Vashna is correct about the spells. One each; and when a spell is learnt all its tiers are learnt. (Thus, a level one crystal mage with lightning hand could cast -Arcblast-, yet his chances of making a successful occult roll of 25 are not very spectacular.)

I too was a trifle concerned that a lot of the national benefits do no apply to classes. Yet it is mentioned in the book that most of these are meant to be applied to npc's, not heroic classes.

Also, the brotherhood is one of the two classes that can be from any region, and still have the bonuses applied. I personally will allow my players playing the brother, knight and/or buccanneer to make use of these benefits.

Dessi magik is largely a factor of bloodline; yet I _may_ allow a player to pick another race for it, as long as he included in his background how he was tutored in the arts. (grey star was not dessi, nor was he a shanti, yet he could learn elder arts, so I assume VERY rare people who are not descendants of the elder magi have the potential in their blood) But players will have to let go of the 'one people' class benefit, in place of racial benefits from the new race.

Oh and btw, the last entry in the gazateer, the nation of Va---something, gives darkspawn 2d6 (or is it 1D6?) damage each time they come into physical combat. ;) I really plan to take this national background as a player for the shanti sorc class variant, if its ever published. Uber!

Xex said:
Oh and btw, the last entry in the gazateer, the nation of Va---something, gives darkspawn 2d6 (or is it 1D6?) damage each time they come into physical combat. ;) I really plan to take this national background as a player for the shainti sorc class variant, if its ever published. Uber!
Holy bat @#!^ Fat-man...
I mean.... yeah, um, sorry :oops:
That would be the mythenish of Vaduzhan, and if I read this coorectly, this 2d6 damage is NOT subject to Magic Resistance!!!

talk about a blessed people.... I'm tempted to give them a +1 level adjustment for that fact, esp. if they take a Heroic Class instead of a Common Class.

As I wander towards the phone, my housemate calls out, "Don't bother calling Mil Sims. Jamie already did, they won't have it in 'til Wednesday or Thursday."

"Fine," I reply, having just discovered via this forum that Mind Games may have a copy. "I'll try Mind Games then."

Mind Games Staff: "Good afternoon, Mind Games."

Me: "Hi, I was just wondering if you still have Lone Wolf d20 in stock."

MGS: "I think so. Hang on, I'll just transfer you to that department."

Me: "No problem."

Justin from Mind Games: "Good afternoon, Mind Games."

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you still have Lone Wolf d20 in stock."

Justin: "I think so, I'll just have a look." Pause. "I can't see it on the shelf. The computer says we have two copies, and it's just been updated. Can I give you a call back."

Me: "Sure." Provides details; call ends.

10 minutes later:

J: "Hi, this is Justin from Mind Games."

Me: "Hi."

J: "Unfortunately, we seem to have sold out of Lone Wolf. I could order it in for you if you like."

Me: "How long would that take? Mil Sims should have it in by Thursday, so I'll just go to them if ordering will take longer than that."

J: "We can't be sure it will be in by then."

Me: "No problem. I'll just go with Mil Sims then. Thanks."

J: "You're welcome."

At this point I am most disspointed. Mil Sims said Monday, Mongoose boards lead me to believe Mind Games might already have it in. All false hopes. Time to try Napolean's Military Bookshop.

Napolean's Guy: "Hello, this is Napolean's."

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you happen to have Lone Wolf d20 in stock."

NG: "I'll just have a look." Pause. "No, I'm afraid not. It should be in soon, though."

Me: "So, you are definitely getting it in?"

NG: "Yep. Try calling back next week."

Me: "Cool, thanks." Call ends.

Ok, time to start getting desperate. I'll try Mind Games in Malvern.

Mind Games Malvern: "Good afternoon, Mind Games."

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you have Lone Wolf d20 in stock."

MGM: "Is that a computer game?"

Me: "No, it's a roleplaying game."

MGM: "Sorry, we only have Dungeons and Dragons."

Me: "Well, Lone Wolf is a D&D derivative."

MGM: "Oh, is this one of the smaller, soft cover books?"

Me: "No, it should be a hardback."

MGM: "I'm looking at the D&D books, and there aren't any Wolves there."

Me: "Ok, thanks."

Gaaah!

Hmm ... I wonder if the Dungeon is still around? Although I have a feeling they're pretty much just a front for Games Workshop now. There they are.

Dungeon Guy: "Hello ... ... ... ah, the Dungeon of Hidden Magic."

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you have Lone Wolf d20 in stock."

DG: "Lone Wolf? d20? No, sorry, our dice are all the normal translucent ones..."

Me: "No, d20, the game system. Lone Wolf is a rulebook."

DG: "Oh, we'll have Player Handbooks back in stock next week."

Me: :shock: :roll: "Umm ... this isn't D&D ... it's a Mongoose product."

DG: "Sorry, we only stock Wizards of the Coast."

Me: "Ok, thanks."

I wander off in despair. A while later, the phone rings. It's for me.

"Hi, this is Justin from Mind Games again."

Me (daring to hope): "Hello."

J: "We've found a copy of Lone Wolf. It was on one of the other counters."

Me: "Thankyou. You've made me a very happy man."

J: "Would you like me to hold that for you?"

Me: "Yeah, definitely, thanks. I'll be in within the hour."

J: "You're welcome."

Me: "Thanks heaps. Bye."

When I got there, I also discovered someone else had been in asking for it. But it was held. For me. It's in my hands this very moment. Even as I touch type. Really.

Ok. It's a couple feet away. But it IS mine.

:D

Lucky git! I still have to wait for MilSims, one of the disadvantages of living out in the country it seems. I wonder why it is taking so long for them to get it, when other stores already seem to have it?

Well, it's only Mind Games that actually had it. I have a sneaking suspicion Mil Sims may already have received it, they just haven't got around to processing it to the point that it's ready for sale.

OTOH, that could just be reactionary paranoia.

BTW, did I mention that I have my copy?

?

:p

SableWyvern said:
Well, it's only Mind Games that actually had it. I have a sneaking suspicion Mil Sims may already have received it, they just haven't got around to processing it to the point that it's ready for sale.

OTOH, that could just be reactionary paranoia.

BTW, did I mention that I have my copy?

?

:p

Wouldn't surprise me really.

Now, just for rubbing it in... Where did you say you lived again? :twisted:

Told you Mindgames had it in Sable ;)

I got the other copy and was they guy that posted that they had it in on another thread (I think they only had two in stock), and my copy also sits but a scant few yards from my hands...*strokes it lovingly*

EternalKnight you could also try Alternate Worlds on Chapel Street, its a comic book store but in the past they have been quite notorious on beating the Major RPG stores in releasing games.

Arandur

Its odd, but my LGS also seems to take ages getting Mongoose products in. I'm still waiting for them to get the Narn book for B5 in and thats been out what, three weeks at this point?

I decided not to risk it with LW, and went straight to a supplier. I'll order all my Mongoose products through them form now on.

Unless they have mail order I'm stuck with waiting for MilSims to get their a$$ into gear. I'm out in East Gippsland, so its a bit hard to get into the city :? Thanks anyway mate.

Ooh, yeah, guess I'd better remember to say thanks Arandur; without whom I would still be amongst the unenlightened masses.

I can't resist and must once again (evilly) point out that I ordered direct from Mongoose and have had my book since the 27th, and I live in North Qld. :lol:

Got my copies... it's like the reinvented the wheel for a beloved childhood memory.

It's wonderful from start to finish.

Egad. All 8 New Order books were easier to get than this thing. I'd bet if someone could get a copy and put it on ebay, they'd make a fortune, because supply is nowhere near demand by the sound of it.

Back