Islands

Panzer_Ace

Mongoose
anyone make any islands?

If so do you have pictures?

Looking for some ideas.

I have been using Wizkids pirate islands and Wizards War at Sea minis to play.

(No time to paint really) :oops:

would be pretty easy. get some foamboard/core/whatever you want to call it. stick extra pieces on for hills and such, and use your craft knife to bevel down the edges. then get some polyfiller to texture, spray, paint, flock. all done!

Well you could look at the pictures in the images part of the board game geek site for wizkids pirates game, somone has made some rather good islands there (link below)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10653

What I've done in past years is to either use paper mache, plaster or other materials to make simple atolls. Another method that I liked was to use the "Great Stuff" or similar canned foam sealer and wearing plastic gloves wetted with water constantly to shape and compress the material as it cured into the desired shape.

It's not really what you wanted since you said that you didn't the time to paint them (or I assume make them). Wood filler paste, white glue and sand would also be rather easy to work with for a simple island. Why don't you hit a craft store and try some paper mache?

You might have some fun working with that. When I have time, I'll try and post photos of some of my old islands.

Making your own islands is seriously very easy.

Go buy some styrofoam insulation in about the thickness of the islands you want and some white glue from a hardware store. Also pop into a hobby store and pick up some green flocking and foliage (moss).

Using a sharp knife cut and shape the styrofoam into the desired shape. You can use the white glue to stack some pieces for higher islands if you want, but it really is'nt nessary. Time: Depends on the islands, but about an hour.

Thin the white glue down about 3/4 water and 1/4 glue. Use an old paitbrush or rag to cover the entire top of the island. Set the island in a box and dump green flocking in to cover the island. Let sit about 15 mins and take the island out. Reapply the glue mixture to some of the thin spots and reapply the green flocking. Then with 100% white glue, attach some of the moss in corners, or in a patchy cover pattern for a forest look. Time: About an hour.

Let them sit overnight to dry completely. They will last years if stored properly and not abused.

There are a ton of websites that have photographs and even more detailed instructions. Give it a go, its seriously very easy.

Peace

islands are basically a hill with sea around it, and the same modelling pricipals apply.

Make sticky up bit, paint, (apply sea.) I use 2.5"polystyrene (as used in loft insulation.) Managed to get some from a building site. i asked. honest...

Gale Force 9 make islands for the Pirates game which may be of use if you don't want to make your own. The Warstore had a sale on these a while back and I got the two sets at a very good price.

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=50&osCsid=b4c0bcd8b014690036d1463fe44637d4

Jake

Back