Is Mongoose leaving the miniatures business?

Poi

Mongoose
I'm looking for an honest answer from Matt here.

With ACTA now dead, SST and BFEvo on hold, GoMC1 with nothing new in ages and Mighty Armies sold off, have you taken the decision that miniatures don't feature in Mongoose's future?

Are there any plans to sell the ACTA masters and production rights to anyone else?

Someone out there needs to pick these toys up.

Poi said:
I'm looking for an honest answer from Matt here.

With ACTA now dead, SST and BFEvo on hold, GoMC1 with nothing new in ages and Mighty Armies sold off, have you taken the decision that miniatures don't feature in Mongoose's future?

Are there any plans to sell the ACTA masters and production rights to anyone else?

Someone out there needs to pick these toys up.
I'll second those questions.
I doubt we'll get an answer Poi, we're not in the crony group.

(Yes im shouting, but its because I care)

Come on Mongoose!!! Put your ducks in order here!!!!

I demand that you get your act together! Your products are of fantastic quality and your fans are both loyal and loving. You should neither give up on the miniature market nor stop publishing for it.

Whats the plan?

WallyTWest said:
(Yes im shouting, but its because I care)

Come on Mongoose!!! Put your ducks in order here!!!!

I demand that you get your act together! Your products are of fantastic quality and your fans are both loyal and loving. You should neither give up on the miniature market nor stop publishing for it.

Whats the plan?

Um, what??

Just to be a voice of reason here, but there are many products that are sadly uneven, and I think this forum might be good evidence against the fans being all loyal and loving.

--Robert

OK, I’m cool. At least he explained it.

To be honest Mongoose could cut down a lot of its costs by printing books and going light with the miniatures. Battlefield Evolution/WW2 benefits from game companies like Black Tree and Foundry that already have a ton of sculpts, but no widely accepted rule set. As far as rules go Victory at Sea is easily the most widely accepted WW2 ship variant and plays very well. GOMC1, the only thing you really need is a few funny miniatures (Kleggs, 4-5 Judges and perhaps a chimp with a shotgun or two.) Let another company pick up the rest. Publish fantastic rules, let the miniature side work itself out.

But stopping production entirely I think really hurts B5 & Starship Troopers. There is no alternate source for the miniatures, mongoose is it for support. Hope they keep the moulds around.

*Rob, you are coming off as a troll.

Guys mongoose has ALWAYS had good..no GREAT ideas and high hopes....they just seem to go out on a limb only to have it drop out from under them.....they need to pair it back, take a good hard look at the market and what it is crying out for, then roll up their sleaves and deliver it.....ACTA was/is a great fun game but perhaps its time has past at least for a larger audience,let some of the smaller companies contiue to turn out minis for thpse hardcore fans, I myself have picked up a nice Battlesatr Galactica fleet.....SST had great ideas SOME great miniatures, and seveal LOUSY ones and some promising miniatures
(viking,skyhook,tac fighter) that would be useful in a much wider market....if they could could sit back dust themself off and narrow the focus down and finally DELIVER on the things that people are really looking for.....BFE? Nice idea poor execution=Lose of credability........

No matter the reasons for whats happened, i'm absolutely gutted for everybody (including Mongoose).
We're all sharing the pain on this.

Poi said:

No. Remember, we started a games company because we love gaming. We love miniatures gaming, so it is inevitable that we will take another swing at his. We just cannot do so right now.

You mentioned GoMC-1. As an aside, we always intended to retread this ground when/if the new movies appear.

Poi said:

I am afraid our licence specifically forbds this.

JayRaider said:
No matter the reasons for whats happened, i'm absolutely gutted for everybody (including Mongoose).
We're all sharing the pain on this.

Thanks - this is appreciated.

msprange said:
No. Remember, we started a games company because we love gaming. We love miniatures gaming, so it is inevitable that we will take another swing at his. We just cannot do so right now.

Then there is hope :) At least that's what I'll tell myself when I wake up in the middle of the night...

I'm not a wargamer or a miniatures collector, so I have miminal interest in this. I also know precisely sod all about printing and publishing. However...

Is it (a) appealing to gamers/collectors and (b) feasible to print good old fashioned card counters with pretty pictures on them to use in lieu of miniatures? I'm thinking either decent thick die-cut card tokens that are sold or a few pages in Signs and Portents to print and mount.

It just seems a cheap and easy way to keep a game ticking along.

Regards

Robin

I just heard the news on b5acta :( This is a fantastic game and it dosn't deserve this. But as a store owner I also know the harsh realities of what can and can't be. I just want to thank Mongoose for a great ride. I was never a fan of the show but I really wanted a fleet action game in my store. After trying b5acta out for the first time I was hooked. I then gave the show a second chance and was really glad I did as it was a fantastic series. This game I think is one of the greatest games out there. I just would have liked to see more people give it a chance. If more people had tried it and gotten to know what I know, (that it is one of the best games out there), we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If more people had tried it and gotten to know what I know

To be honest i think most players with an interest in SF starship combat DID know about it and were buying. There are a lot of people out there who use the Mongoose miniatures but don't like the rules and use alternatives such as the various Full Thrust derivatives. I'm sort of in that category as I started out with the old AoG models years ago and used the Tuffley-written B5 rules, and put in such a big investment in creating ship sheets and play aids that I didn't fancy changing to the ACtA rules, but I still bought the Mongoose minis (even if they did screw up the engines of the Liner :D )

Anyway,upshot is that I don't think MGP could have done much more to increase sales of the B5 line - from what I've read its the issues with other lines that have brought this about.

Back