I must be doing something HORRIBLY wrong

Tim Mercado

Mongoose
I know I have taken a rather long "hiatus" from gaming in general, to the tune of around 5 years or so....

....but what's going on with miniatures these days??? Painted plastic ones? Tons of box sets for wargaming but diminishing amounts for table-top gaming or just plain painting? Ral Partha out of business??? :shock:

I googled "miniatures+rpg" and got alot of sites that either
a) sold nearly nothing but wargaming minis, in largish sets
b)had these bizarre, plastic painted things and called them DnD minis
c)sold an unfathomable creature called a "heroclix". Is this like a card game?

wargames are cool, but I am not looking to sink hundreds of $$ into a 94-piece army. I just wanna (try to..heh) paint up some kinda Conan-ish mini's. and not have to buy a pack of 10 nearly identical ones.

If anyone knows a website to where one can peruse mini's like they used to be, such as "warrior with spear" and "shaman", etc. please let me know. thanks everyone.

Darth Mikey said:
Oh geez, I was entering the same thing, thanks. I also recommend Reaper Minis.

I'll shorten this from the long reply (and close the other window), to say that a quick search of the boards will come up with 16 leads, some of which have good links. The one for Conan figure wish listhas good urls (also from Darth Mikey, hey how 'bout that :) ).

Heh heh, funny post Tim. Here's a good site for minis.

http://www.newwavegames.com/

Just click on the link for miniature games. The site allows you to see the figures from a host of miniature companies. I recomend especially the Reaper Warlord Minis. Also, Games Workshop has some great looking miniatures. And you can buy individual minis in blister packs- they're not all sold in large boxed sets. Yes their figures are very expensive, and yes the company can be pretty annoying, but they do have some great looking minis.

Another good company for figures is Rackham; It's a french company that makes figures for Confrontation, Hybrid, and Ragnarok. If you're looking for barbarian figures, look at their Kelt Sessairs or Drunes.

The Foundry is another great site for minis. In fact, you can find historial minis to represent virtually everything in Conan--from Pict to Hyrkanian. I think the late Roman empire is a cool look for the Hyborean nations, American Indians for Picts--working on an Aquilonian campaign as we speak.

-RH

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/main.asp

Bregales said:
Darth Mikey said:
Oh geez, I was entering the same thing, thanks. I also recommend Reaper Minis.

I'll shorten this from the long reply (and close the other window), to say that a quick search of the boards will come up with 16 leads, some of which have good links. The one for Conan figure wish listhas good urls (also from Darth Mikey, hey how 'bout that :) ).

AAww Shucks... :oops:

Glad you liked them.

Tim Mercado said:
....but what's going on with miniatures these days??? Painted plastic ones? Tons of box sets for wargaming but diminishing amounts for table-top gaming or just plain painting? Ral Partha out of business??? :shock:

I googled "miniatures+rpg" and got alot of sites that either
a) sold nearly nothing but wargaming minis, in largish sets
b)had these bizarre, plastic painted things and called them DnD minis
c)sold an unfathomable creature called a "heroclix". Is this like a card game?

I'm not big into minis but I'll give you a bit of an overview. Starting about, oh three/four years ago I guess, those heroclix you saw hit the scene. They do indeed work like a collectable card game in that there is a set of rules for fighting with the minis and each pre-painted plastic mini comes in a ramdomized booster set so you dont' know what you're getting until you open the package. They are quite popular and from what I understand the game is very good. Beginning last year WoTC started their own line of pre-painted plastic minis with the intention of killing two birds with one stone: first they wanted to horn in on heroclix's "collectable trading mini game" market so the DnD minis also come in random booster packs and a "DnD Minatures Game" ruleset was released. Second the 3.5 DnD rules are very mini/battlegrid oriented and they wanted to give "casual" gamers an easy way in; not everybody is up for painting minis with a magnifying lens and a tiny brush. Looking over the DnD mini's I've seen they are prety high quality and fairly cheap. The upside is they come in standard DnD flavors like drow and mindflayer which makes running a DnD game easy, the downside is they come in standard DnD flavors like drow and mindflayer which makes running any non-DnD game hard.

My friends who are still into pweter minis usually buy Reapear minis, they come in individual blister packs and can usually be found cheap.

IIRC Mongoose produces their own line of pre-painted plastic wargame minis, "Mighty Armies" I beleieve it is, and a few months back they released a "Barbarian horde" expansion to the line which is not-so-disimiliar to the characters found in the Hyborian age :wink:

Hope that helps.

Hey everybody, sorry for the belated reply. Thank you all for the posts...they really helped. Just kinda blew my mind they were so hard to find (at first). Well, when I get back I'll have to start a new mini's collection and try (again! for like the 500th time!) to paint at least ONE decent mini :roll: but it's sure fun trying. Peace to ya all!!!

As always, I'd suggest ebay for minis: you can find a lot of people selling whole lots of older metal minis for the painter in you, and the newer plastic minis that come prepainted are usually sold in large volumes as singles on ebay. Many are quite cheap (so long as they aren't rare) and you can usually peruse images to pick and choose "Conan appropriate" figures. But like the previous poster said, not all of them are appropriate outside DnD. Off hand, though, I'd suggest I have 30-40 of the plastic figs that work fine for Conan games.
Oh, and I have heard tell that Iron Wind Minis are nice for painting, too.

I'll second the Reaper minis. Some of their stuff is ok, some of it is very good. I picked up quite a few things from them. I'm using one for my Pirate character in an upcoming Conan game.

Also, note that although New Wave is a good place to *look* at pictures of minis, *do not buy from them* They have a very bad reputation in the industry, and frequently will take your order, charge your credit card, then not send you any product.

Just my 2 cents,
Daggan

Back