Hyperion Carrying StarFuries?

BeronTheGrey

Mongoose
A quick question of canon here: I was speaking to one of my players for an upcoming B5 game last night, and he commented that he didn't think that the Hyperion cruiser carried any Starfuries (he's an old B5 Wars fan, I think). Now, the RPG write-up (main rulebook and EA sourcebook) both give the Hyperion as carrying six Starfuries.

So: did the B5Wars write-up give the Hyperion any Starfuries? More to the point, do we see a Hyperion anywhere on screen launching Starfuries? (I'd check "A Voice in the Wilderness, Part 2", but my Season 1 box set is out on loan). I don't want to upgrade the ship the PCs are crew on to an Omega for no good reason . . . (Besides, we only saw Omegas starting from Season 2, though they must have been around earlier).

Simon D. Taylor

yep, all the Hyperions and variants (except maybe 1 I think, have to check the books) could carry 6 starfuries. No t-bolts but standard auroras.

dont think they were ever actually shown launching fighters in any episodes though they were seen with them

This is correct. I have Ships of the Fleet open in front of me and the Hyperion does indeed carry 6 starfuries and 2 shuttles.

-A

Mongoose August said:
This is correct. I have Ships of the Fleet open in front of me and the Hyperion does indeed carry 6 starfuries and 2 shuttles.

Hmm. Perhaps my friend was thinking of another ship entirely?

Slight aside: according to another friend, if you actually do a frame by frame count of the number of fighters launching from the front of the Omegas in Season 4 (I think), the number comes to more like 40.

Simon D. Taylor

The Hyperion is shown launching a Starfury in A Voice in the Wilderness, so they do carry them.

BeronTheGrey said:
Slight aside: according to another friend, if you actually do a frame by frame count of the number of fighters launching from the front of the Omegas in Season 4 (I think), the number comes to more like 40.

It's not quite as high as forty, but it's more than 24... But that's SFX guys for you.

There's two ways of looking at this.

1) Ignore it
2) It means we have a strike carrier variant of the Omega we don't have stats for yet :)

However, it should be noted that 24 fighters is the normal operational total carried by an Omega. Each Omega probably carries enough spares and replacements (normally in storage and unassembled) to build up to another 25-50% perhaps all told). Given an industrious deck and engineering crew and enough spare time the ship could probably field 30 odd, it just wouldn't be able to turn around and service them all under battle conditions (but she could launch them). Perhaps an optional rule for ACTA (Crush Loading?)

It should also be noted that B5 (and the Omega's) operated flights of 7 not 6 fighters, just that 7 is a sucky number for game purposes :)

frobisher said:
It should also be noted that B5 (and the Omega's) operated flights of 7 not 6 fighters, just that 7 is a sucky number for game purposes :)

Actually, B5 was the only place we see that did operate fighters in 7-count squadrons. Every ship in the show ran 6-count squadrons. Now, this might be standard doctrine for EarthForce stations; beef up each squadron a little in order to provide an edge in dogfighting and screening the station from other fighters.

And we see Sheridan's Hyperion (oops: forgot the name :oops: ) launch a Starfury just before the Black Star ambush in "In the Begining".

DW

Traveller-61 wrote
And we see Sheridan's Hyperion (oops: forgot the name ) launch a Starfury just before the Black Star ambush in "In the Begining".
It is called the Lexington under Capt. Roger Sterns and the starfury pilot's name is Ganya Ivanov brother of Susan Ivanov.

Back