Hyperborean Witchmen: which Marvel issues?

René

Banded Mongoose
Since reading Vincent Darlage's article about these guys I'm intrigued by them. As far as I understood they are a creation of the old Marvel comics. Can someone point me to the relevant issues, please? Are these already re-released in collector's volume? Thanks for your help!

Raven Blackwell said:
I think they were a creation of de Camp from his pastiche "The Witch of the Mists" before Marvel used them, but I am not sure.

Argh! Reading another "masterpiece" of this guy... CONAN & the Spider God was supposed to be the last. But nonetheless thanks for the info, Raven, I'll browse the used book stores.

Argh! Reading another "masterpiece" of this guy... CONAN & the Spider God was supposed to be the last. But nonetheless thanks for the info, Raven, I'll browse the used book store.

I know the story is the first in the collection Conan of Aquilonia. Whereelse it might be I do not know. And no- I at least do not think it is a good story.

VincentDarlage said:
L. Sprague de Camp also used them in his pastiche Legions of the Dead.

Which story came first Vincent?

Raven Blackwell said:
Argh! Reading another "masterpiece" of this guy... CONAN & the Spider God was supposed to be the last. But nonetheless thanks for the info, Raven, I'll browse the used book store.
I know the story is the first in the collection Conan of Aquilonia. Whereelse it might be I do not know. And no- I at least do not think it is a good story.
I agree with you Raven.

From what I can find:

The Witch of the Mists was published in Fantastic magazine in Aug 1972, then included in the Conan of Aquilonia collection in 1977

It was adapted to the comics in King Conan #1 (March 1980)

Legions of the Dead was published in Conan the Swordsman in 1978

It was adapted to the comics in Savage Sword of Conan #39 (April 1979)

Marvel also created a 9 part story arc called "The Second Coming of Shuma-Gorath" in the Conan the Barbarian comic issues #252-260 (Feb-Sept 1991)

A great resource for looking up comics is at http://www.comics.org/

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help, all of you!
A few weeks ago I read Legions of Dead from CONAN The Swordsman (included in an omnibus Sagas of CONAN: Swordsman, Liberator &
Spider God) and can really recommend this story. It comes fairly close to REH - unfortunately this can not be said about the rest of the omnibus.

Back