Hyborias Finest questions

MadDog

Mongoose
I just got my copy and after reading some, I have a few questions:

1) The Scroll of Amenderath: I presume this item can be used again and again ? As long as the owner reads it at least once per month, he can get the Astrology bonuses ?

2) Emerald Lotus: What are the stats for the plant, and where does it grow ? What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make it ?

3) Red Lotus: Where does it grow ? What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make items of it ?

4) White Lotus: What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make items of it ?

5) Summon Essence: What is "incorporial" ? It cant be the SRD incorporial ("only hit by +1 weapons or better......").

6) In the multi-calassing options, players who take the variant rules are forever more locked into the level progression dictated on the tables ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
I just got my copy and after reading some, I have a few questions:

1) The Scroll of Amenderath: I presume this item can be used again and again ? As long as the owner reads it at least once per month, he can get the Astrology bonuses ?

Yep.

MadDog said:
2) Emerald Lotus: What are the stats for the plant, and where does it grow ? What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make it ?

Unless edited for space, the emerald lotus stats will appear in the Stygia - Sands of Death sourcebook. Technically it is extinct, but only until someone finds the old seeds and drips blood on them... The only known batch (at least the only one known to me) is in Stygia. Herbalism DC 25.

MadDog said:
3) Red Lotus: Where does it grow ? What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make items of it ?

It grows in the swamps around the swampy Styx estuary outside Khemi. DC 22.

MadDog said:
4) White Lotus: What is the Craft(Herbalism) DC to make items of it ?

DC 25.

MadDog said:
5) Summon Essence: What is "incorporial" ? It cant be the SRD incorporial ("only hit by +1 weapons or better......").

Incorporeal means it cannot be touched - physical objects will pass through it and it will pass through physical objects (they can't pick things up or attack while incorporeal). I wasn't thinking of the Incorporeal subtype as found in the SRD at all (completely forgot there was such a subtype), but just used the word because it described the effect - so it has a dictionary definition, not an SRD definition.

MadDog said:
6) In the multi-calassing options, players who take the variant rules are forever more locked into the level progression dictated on the tables ?

Heck no! Those level progressions are just for inspiration. See page 79: "The advancement rates offered herein are not to be taken as the final word on the subject but merely as guidelines to meet a particular character concept." You can add in third classes, mix it up or whatever. You can use the variant rules without the level progression offered.

MadDog said:
thanks,

Mad Dog

You are welcome.

Incorporeal means it cannot be touched - physical objects will pass through it and it will pass through physical objects (they can't pick things up or attack while incorporeal). I wasn't thinking of the Incorporeal subtype as found in the SRD at all (completely forgot there was such a subtype), but just used the word because it described the effect - so it has a dictionary definition, not an SRD definition.

Does it take a free, move, or standard action to go in/out of incorporial ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I have a few additional questions about some of the items in Hyboria's Finest.

1. What is the DC to craft Distillate of Black Lotus?

2. Does the craft DC 22 apply to both varieties of Red Lotus? What is the DC to find Red Lotus?

3. Does the craft DC 25 apply to both varieties of White Lotus? What is the DC to find White Lotus, and where does it grow?

4. I'm a little confused about the Black Candle of Set. Is it a magical item or an alchemical item? And if the latter, is there a craft DC for it? In either case, are there any prerequisites to make it?

5. Is there a limit to how many times a day the abilities of Ishiti's Amulet can be used?

Turim said:
1. What is the DC to craft Distillate of Black Lotus?

20. Do people actually use the Craft DC? I have yet to have a Conan player take the time to actually craft anything. They are too busy adventuring. I really didn't think about crafting it; I just put there as a potential story item, probably for a villain to have or a hero to find.

Turim said:
2. Does the craft DC 22 apply to both varieties of Red Lotus? What is the DC to find Red Lotus?

Yes. 25 - unless you kill one of Khemi's nude sirens, then you can just pluck it out of her hair. Again, I wasn't thinking in terms of making it - just for having it for the story.

Turim said:
3. Does the craft DC 25 apply to both varieties of White Lotus? What is the DC to find White Lotus, and where does it grow?

Yes. 25, and it grows in Keshan and elsewhere in the northern Black Kingdoms, but nowhere else.

Turim said:
4. I'm a little confused about the Black Candle of Set. Is it a magical item or an alchemical item? And if the latter, is there a craft DC for it? In either case, are there any prerequisites to make it?

Neither. It is an unusual item as defined in Scrolls of Skelos. It has the same craft requirements and DC as an Ebon Staff of Set.

Turim said:
5. Is there a limit to how many times a day the abilities of Ishiti's Amulet can be used?

Whatever makes for a good story. It is not one of those items PCs are meant to keep.

MadDog said:
Does it take a free, move, or standard action to go in/out of incorporial ?

Whatever makes for a good story; use your imagination, not a rule.

If you absolutely need a rule, then... (picking one at random)... standard action.

20. Do people actually use the Craft DC? I have yet to have a Conan player take the time to actually craft anything. They are too busy adventuring. I really didn't think about crafting it; I just put there as a potential story item, probably for a villain to have or a hero to find.

They sure do. If you are a scholar and you arent doing some herbalism/alchemy, you are wasting one of your strong points.

Mad Dog

VincentDarlage said:
Thanks for the answers. I can only speak for our group, but my sorcerer has gone from level 1 to 8 without using craft (alchemy) once. I've used craft (herbalism) several times, though. But when I finally have the time to do some alchemy I will definitely consider making the Distillate.

VincentDarlage said:
Whatever makes for a good story; use your imagination, not a rule.

If you absolutely need a rule, then... (picking one at random)... standard action.
I'm not the GM in our group, so I'm not allowed to use my imagination when it comes to rules :cry:. In our group new feats, spells and items are often introduced into the campaign by players who want them for their characters. It's a lot easier for us if all relevant information is listed with the new abilities. This way our GM won't have to analyze them all, fill in the blanks, and keep a separate set of personal rulings.

Back