A Whole Bunch of Miscellaneous Questions about Mongoose Traveller 1e Core and Central Supply Catalog (2008 edition)

Yenaldlooshi

Banded Mongoose

Instead of making a million posts, I just collected all my questions to throw in one post.

Please weigh in with what you think. Rule Book based answers are best, but if they are not there then play balance answer would be next. Realism as a last resort. lol

Can I put Reflec under my Boarding vacc suit to get an extra 5 points vs lasers? The book says no to combining for suits but Reflec says it is worn under clothing.

If wearing an unsealed vacc suit out in public, at tech 14, how fast can we seal a vacc suit have already donned? (example tailored and boarding vacc) is it just pressing a button and it seals up? Or a long action? Again, the idea is I am wearing without the hood sealed in normal atmosphere.

With Leadership or Tactics Expert3 loaded on an intelligent rifle with an Intellect, can a character give an Initiative boost to themselves using the weapons Leadership skill? What about if it was Tactical and he is either alone or within comms of his allys?

Can Gyrostabilizers be stacked to remove more recoil or just one? CSCe1 p54

At what law level are stun grenades illegal? Are they explosives or stun for the purposes of law level?

When wanting to pack lots of extra-mags, how do we factor weight of each mag?

Can the +1 from Tactical Relay Network (CSC1e 173) be stacked with the +1 from tactical video suite (CSC1e 153)?

Can the Hub for the above be given Intellect and Tactics and make the tactical rolls for the team? (using transceivers to a ship in orbit)?

Are software expenses on personal devices or computers (not starship) factored per device or per user? (I am hoping it is per person, like most licenses are today). Ie. If I have multiple devices I want to run Intellect on, must I buy multiple copies or just the one license and can only have the one operating from one device at a time. (At tech11+ I think the software copy protection can dynamically make sure I only have the one copy used on one device at a time. Or instantly transfer my copy device to device)

Can I put Reflec under my Boarding vacc suit to get an extra 5 points vs lasers? The book says no to combining for suits but Reflec says it is worn under clothing.
Sorry, I don't have MgT1 CSC, but Core says Reflec can be worn with other armour. It would be impractical to wear under the vacc suit, as anything that penetrates to the Reflec would compromise the integrity of the vacc suit.

Cloth can also be worn under clothing, but can presumably not be combined. (Can be combined in MgT2'17.)

Well, a couple of things. Somewhere it says that your Vacc Suit must be truly and fully compromised for it not to self heal. It used an example of bullets not mattering but a giant monster bite, might. I think everything else self-seals if it gets punctured.
Also, to be honest, I am using a "Boarding Vacc Suit" as a poor mans Combat Armor. Combat Armor in the game is 16 points of protection costing Cr600,000. The Boarding Vacc Suit give 15 points of protection for only Cr40,000.

Side note; I only just now realized that in all your posts when you used the abbreviation "MgT" you mean "Mongoose Traveller" and not "Mega Traveller" lol!

I can't find my old CSC so some of this is from memory, but I'm pretty sure of most of it. First one up is the one your GM might well rule differently on.

I would give you the better of the two values, not an addition.

I might also apply a roll to see if that self-sealing suit self-seals. You've got the laser burning in, then reflecting/diffusing off of it. Could be a different damage profile than a single bullet (and a single "bullet" is itself pretty small in the case of a gauss weapon). Or, it might work as desired, especially at higher TL's. Roll.

Then again, I'd allow Reflec sized to fit over a boarding vacc suit. Though you might have to source it and pay a premium. And people would be able to see, "hey, that's no Belter, he's wearing Reflec!" So I can see why you might want to keep it low key.

With Leadership or Tactics Expert3 loaded on an intelligent rifle with an Intellect, can a character give an Initiative boost to themselves using the weapons Leadership skill? What about if it was Tactical and he is either alone or within comms of his allys?

Plain reading of the rules, yes. Making that make sense in the campaign world, the GM can and probably should require some kind of sensor suite in addition to the rifle and computer.

Can Gyrostabilizers be stacked to remove more recoil or just one? CSCe1 p54

No stacking, just one. This is the one I'm most sure of even without the book.

At what law level are stun grenades illegal? Are they explosives or stun for the purposes of law level?

The book doesn't say, so GM ruling. I would generally go stun, but it might vary by world. In between explosives and stun, they could be considered as ammo for grenade launchers and classed in with heavy weapons rather than going all the way to lumping them in with plastique.

Can the +1 from Tactical Relay Network (CSC1e 173) be stacked with the +1 from tactical video suite (CSC1e 153)?

No.

Thanks for the responses. They give me an idea what to expect from my Referee whom I am new to.

As for VaccSuit breaches, the old book has this to say on page 88:

1700496823047.png

Then in the 2008 CSC they have this item:
1700496999572.png

Neither one giving any hard in-game rules to go by sooo... Referee fiat again. I am so glad that in Mg2E, they don't do too much of this "Let's give lots of description of things that obviously must have rules attached to their use but we'll just leave out the rules themselves" well... except for how starship sensor types can detect, lock and shoot other starships. That was pretty lacking in dice roll data with things like; "partial" and "full" information on the tables.

Back