Hyboria's Finest: Just got it today.

Azgulor

Banded Mongoose
Finally received my copy of Hyboria's Finest. Haven't had a chance to read it in depth yet, but what I've read so far is great. The multi-classing strategies and variant rules are fantastic. Thanks for another great book Vincent!

Damn, I love the Conan RPG. Thank you Mongoose!

Double-damn, no way I can wait until after Christmas to order Hyboria's Fallen now...

Azgulor

I have to agree. Sometimes class books IMHO get a little to wordy like they are trying to fill in some pages but all the class books for the Conan RPG have been first rate.

Looking forward to Hyboria's Fallen!

Yeah, I was really surprised by how much I like the classbooks for Conan since I typically hate classbooks. Ninety percent of the time it seems like they're filled with broken prestige classes and munchkin bits. The Hyboria's F- series provide relevant cultural frameworks, interesting feats, and show how multi-classing should be done rather than resorting to prestige classes. Those should be saved for campaign/setting-specific organizations, IMO.

Azgulor

Yeah, and I tend to think that alot of the prestige classes suit NPC's a lot better but not always.

Ever since d20 and Conan in particualr relaxed the rules on Multiclassing I have been a fan.

I have a buddy who says a strait 20th level Soldier would cream a 10/10 Soldier/ Thief in a strait up fight but I always argue how often are you in a straight up fight in a meadow.

While he may be right a good mix of multiclassing can really make for a versitle character who may survive most situations rather than a strait up class character.

But you are spot on man, the multiclassing options are well thought out and give great archtype examples.

because of the mix and match way conan does classes these books are more important than normal as give a reason and background to your theif/soildier or why your noble/scholar has not been burned at the stake yet 8)

I am a little bit confused by Hyboria's Finest.

It seems to me that the author did not have the Atlantean Version.

The Feat "Greater Two-Weapon Combat" gives an additional third attack at -10 with the off-hand-weapon. But "Improved Two-Weapon Combat" already gives one additional extra attack with the off-hand weapon for each +5 BAB above BAB 6.

So a soldier with "Improved Two-Weapon Combat" and a BAB of 20 has four attacks with the main weapon at +20/+15/+10/+5 and four extra attacks with the off-hand weapon at +20/+15/+10/+5.

Would he gain a 9th attack with "Greater Two-Weapon Combat" at +10, again with the off-hand weapon?

G

as vincent wrote that version think we can take it he has read this own work :shock: sounds a bit like a slight mistake hopefully vincent will tell us what he meant 8)

Svenja said:
I am a little bit confused by Hyboria's Finest.

It seems to me that the author did not have the Atlantean Version.

One mistake confuses you about the whole book? I have the Atlantean Edition, but I had forgotten the feat was different than it was in 3E (If I had written the Conan rules, I would have changed the names of feats that work differently than the SRD). 'Twas just an oversight on my part.

Azgulor said:
Finally received my copy of Hyboria's Finest. Haven't had a chance to read it in depth yet, but what I've read so far is great. The multi-classing strategies and variant rules are fantastic. Thanks for another great book Vincent!
Azgulor

You are welcome!

The Feat "Greater Two-Weapon Combat" gives an additional third attack at -10 with the off-hand-weapon. But "Improved Two-Weapon Combat" already gives one additional extra attack with the off-hand weapon for each +5 BAB above BAB 6.

So a soldier with "Improved Two-Weapon Combat" and a BAB of 20 has four attacks with the main weapon at +20/+15/+10/+5 and four extra attacks with the off-hand weapon at +20/+15/+10/+5.

Would he gain a 9th attack with "Greater Two-Weapon Combat" at +10, again with the off-hand weapon?

I would say that Improved Two Weapon Combat is Conan RPG's answer to Greater Two-Weapon Combat. You will notice that even Two Weapon Fighting is different to the normal D20 rules regarding fighting with two weapons.

So in answer I would say no. 8 attacks seems enough to me, and extra one is kinda superfluous really.

A character with a BAB of +20 fighting with two weapon fighting would have attacks of +18/+18 off hand/+13/+8/+3. With improved two weapon combat he would have attacks of +20/+20 off hand/+15/+15 off hand/+10/+10 off hand/+5/+5 off hand.

VincentDarlage said:
Azgulor said:
Azgulor

You are welcome!

As always Vincent, I am impressed with your work. Keep it up!

Back