Hyboria's Fiercest

Tyrant

Mongoose
Well, I just finished reading through the book which I purchased on Saturday, and I must say, it's become an instant favorite.

I absolutely LOVE the format.
It's quite a grab bag of crunchy info that's all very relevant and useful.

I very much appreciate the new feats, combat sytles and maneuvers, as well as the rules on terrain.

And of course, my favorite part of the book, the multiclass variant chracter types, all of which I found to be brilliantly done.

Well done!
I'll certainly look forward to the other class books.

Good lord, I'm soooo glad Mongoose got the license to make this game...

I just bought Pirate Isles and Hyboria's Fiercest and I must say that I really like the format in HF better than in the older PI. So far I have not had time to read either of them but HF seem to have a lot of interesting and usefull information.

Are there any plans to publish similar books for other classes or are they covered in other books?

Thanks!

SnowDog said:
Are there any plans to publish similar books for other classes or are they covered in other books?

Check out:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=878&qsSeries=7

and

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=882&qsSeries=7

Sam

I have written and turned in Hyboria's Finest (nobles, scholars and soldiers) and Hyboria's Fallen (pirates, thieves and temptresses), but I am not sure what the production schedule is or when these will be out.

edit: Apparently Samvail answered that question for us all (he posted the same time I did).

I have a question about the herbs described p.52-53.

There are no sp value for the different herbal preparations, hence no means of determining how long it takes to manufacture them (according to the Craft (herbalism) skill from the core rules)

So, how do we proceed?

Mortepierre said:
I have a question about the herbs described p.52-53.

There are no sp value for the different herbal preparations, hence no means of determining how long it takes to manufacture them (according to the Craft (herbalism) skill from the core rules)

So, how do we proceed?

I would use the rules in Scrolls of Skelos, page 40 and 41.

Thus, to make a potion out of mistletoe, which gives a +2 to saves against the shakes, that has a save bonus (other) effect, so that would be 2 squared x 6,000 sp, or 24,000. Since it can only be used once, I would divide that by 4, for a total of 6,000 sp.

Then the herbalist would pay 1/3 of that for the raw materials.

That might be a good starting point, but since it is not really a magic item, then that might be a little high, but it is a starting point.

W-O-W!

No cheap herbal remedy for the players!

Thank you for the quick answer Vincent. That said, methink you made a mistake. The core rules specifically state that:

The final craft check is made exactly like any other Craft check, with the check result being compared to the DC and the total cost of the herbal preparation. The only difference is that there is no raw material cost, since the raw materials have been gathered.

Hence, why would the herbalist have to pay for the raw materials at all given he gathered them himself in the first place?

Moreover, even if you divide the cost by 4 for a total of 6000 sp, how can a herbalist hope to produce such a potion within the max 2d6 weeks after picking the herbs???

Let's take the mistletoe potion for instance.

Craft DC: 18
Cost: 6000 sp (according to you)
Max. # weeks to prepare: 12 ( 2 x 6)

Let's say our PC has a total Craft (herbalism) bonus of +7 and 'takes 10', it means a final result (per week) of (17 x 18 ) = 306 sp worth of potion produced.

After 12 weeks of hard work, he'll have a grand total of 3672 sp worth of potion. Given that the potion won't be ready before he has reached the 6000 sp mark (thank Crom herbal potions don't use the x5 rule!), it will never be ready in time!

Now, let's assume he is the luckiest guy on Hyboria and rolls a natural 20 every week. That's (27 x 18 ) = 486 sp worth of potion per week, for a total of 5832 sp after 12 weeks. Still not good enough!

You know, when I read the herbal tables in Hyboria's Fiercest, I thought it was a great idea. I didn't mean for it to be a quick & cheap one but something that could be done by low-level players. But if one follows your rule, then they won't be able to craft anything at all before having a total skill bonus of (at least) +8! (not to mention rolling 20 every time)

I could add that the mistletoe potion is the easiest to manufacture with its craft DC of 18 so I shudder to think of what people would have to go through to produce the tougher potions (DC 28+) :shock:

Doesn't the core rule book have a rule for using Craft (herbelism) DC 20 that allows you to preserve an herb for a year? This would get around the 2 week constraint.

Stupid work that won't let me look up rules while I am here.

Hyborian Apeman said:
Doesn't the core rule book have a rule for using Craft (herbelism) DC 20 that allows you to preserve an herb for a year? This would get around the 2 week constraint.

It's DC15 actually, but yes it exists. Still, it would mean that to use ANY of the herbs described in Hyborea's Fiercest, you would need to 'dry' them first to stand any chance at all. Somehow, that doesn't sound very logical.

I mean. You're a Borderer that just learnt that in 1 month time he'll be patrolling the Pict border. Rumors say that to spend any amount of time there is the surest way to get the shakes. So, you head for the woods to gather fresh mistletoe for an anti-shakes potion.

Well, no luck, 'cause you've first to dry it and then spend some 3 months and a half preparing the salve!

Sound great? I don't think so...

The formula works fine but the cost is way too high for something non-magical that is already more than hindered by insanely high craft DC. At least IMHO.

Even if our brave borderer went to see the local witch for the potion, can you picture him paying 6000sp for it? I don't think so!

Hyborea’s Fiercest Feat question

Two-Weapon Strike: When armed with a slashing weapon in both hands you can make a special attack once per round using both weapons…….
…….If both attacks hit, total up the damage done and apply it as though it were a single attack for all purposes….

Sneak Attack: any time the thief’s target is unable to dodge or parry, or when the thief flanks the target, the thief’s attack deals extra damage……

Can a thief or pirate use the tow-weapon strike feat and add the sneak attack damage from each weapon?

Belkregos said:
Hyborea’s Fiercest Feat question

Two-Weapon Strike: When armed with a slashing weapon in both hands you can make a special attack once per round using both weapons…….
…….If both attacks hit, total up the damage done and apply it as though it were a single attack for all purposes….

Sneak Attack: any time the thief’s target is unable to dodge or parry, or when the thief flanks the target, the thief’s attack deals extra damage……

Can a thief or pirate use the tow-weapon strike feat and add the sneak attack damage from each weapon?

Belkregos,

We started that discussion at:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8347

No one has replied, but my answer was yes, you can add your sneak attack damage, once. So one sneak attack, not one for each weapon.

Hyborian Apeman said:
Belkregos,

We started that discussion at:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8347

No one has replied, but my answer was yes, you can add your sneak attack damage, once. So one sneak attack, not one for each weapon.

thanks Hyborian A.,
i'll slide down over there,

Mortepierre said:
I mean. You're a Borderer that just learnt that in 1 month time he'll be patrolling the Pict border. Rumors say that to spend any amount of time there is the surest way to get the shakes. So, you head for the woods to gather fresh mistletoe for an anti-shakes potion.

Well, no luck, 'cause you've first to dry it and then spend some 3 months and a half preparing the salve!

Sound great? I don't think so...

The formula works fine but the cost is way too high for something non-magical that is already more than hindered by insanely high craft DC. At least IMHO.

Even if our brave borderer went to see the local witch for the potion, can you picture him paying 6000sp for it? I don't think so!

I see your point. I think the 6,000 silver pieces would be fine to pay for the potion if a witch had to travel to get it made it to be used. But a border who can find it should be able to make it for free, and I would argue 1/10th the silver piece cost should be used to determine the amount of time it would take to create it.

Can you imagine a border or scholar coming across a diseased individual and says, "I can make a medicine that will help you recover from that disease, it will just take me 3 months to get it. Just make 90 Fortitude saves to survive, and if you are not cured, I will provide a remedie to cure you.

Hyborian Apeman said:
Can you imagine a border or scholar coming across a diseased individual and says, "I can make a medicine that will help you recover from that disease, it will just take me 3 months to get it. Just make 90 Fortitude saves to survive, and if you are not cured, I will provide a remedie to cure you.
That sounds like the middle ages to me :lol:

I've been reading these posts in interest; I ordered Hyboria's Fiercest several months ago at Amazon, only to have them dump the order this week, so I'm hoping to get it soon from 3rd party merchant I ordered from soon. I've had terrible luck w/ Amazon-typically takes 2-4 months to process an order. :roll:

Well, my actual thought is that the cost is negligible for the gatherer. As for how long it takes to make the brew, I think that is in the realm of the Games Master's decision. It takes as long as he thinks it should take.

Sorry Vincent, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful :oops:

You did offer a solution and that's already better than nothing at all.

I can see how using the rules from SoS would make sense but only if the potion was magical and the effect akin to what can be obtained through use of a spell.

Here, we're talking herbal remedies that have a 1 hour duration top. Something that can be brewed by your local forester if he knows his herb lore and has some experience under the belt. Hence, too high a cost.

I think Hyborian Apeman's solution mixed with yours could yield the beginning of an answer. 600 sp as the "theoretical" cost for such a potion (just to determine how long it takes to be manufactured) would work fine and be logical. I'll try it in-game and see how it goes.

Back