Hyborias Fallen - Initial Impressions

The King said:
I think it is far better when everyone is warned.

Warned? I think his concern is trivial. I, for one, can easily think of weird stories with a naked wild woman running through the forests leading men to their deaths, laughing gleefully as she mocks the "strong" men who cannot control their impulses. She has abandoned civilisation (is fallen) by abandoning clothing and civilised behaviour. Perhaps legends of magical nymphs have such roots.

Warned? If nothing else, he has generated a lot of publicity for the product. Good for him! It is an exceptional book.

I also feel that telling that something is "trash" directly to the author is very hurtful for him. MadDog himself recognized that his words and manners were harsh and offered his apologies to Vincent Darlage.

I also recognize that it is very nice from Vincent to explain his view and his knowledge of Howard's Hyborian world.

But MadDog's other posts are only replies from people who ask him to justify himself, hence the 7 pages topic.

Now I am pleased and know what to expect. For my part this class can be excellent to introduce new NPCs (but I didn't read the book yet) but it also seems that other players found it useful as a full PC class.

MadDog said:
Atali, daughter of a god, is hardly a good example or rationale for the humans-as-Nymphs.

Oh, and it is inconceivable that someone might emulate a goddess? Perhaps the nymph is a worshipper of Atali? I am sure that possibility does not count as a rational either.

Wubble said:
The King, the issue is not the criticism - which is fine. I think it is the continued browbeating. MadDog stated what he did not like. Fine. The author gave his reasoning (which he didn't have to do, and I would not be surprised if he stopped offering such insights). Instead of saying that he disagreed or whatever, MadDog then went on to demand justifications for "trash", even though the author already gave the justification. It is fine that he disagreed with the justification, but why all the disrespectful language?

MadDog then asked for more instances of whip-wielding in REH Conan stories and when those were offered, he declared they did not count and continued on in that vein. He asked for an example of a single character running naked in the wilderness. When that was given he said it didn't count.

Then one of the high-ups of Mongoose shows up and people then start in accusing them of making a profit off of a product and of pandering to 13 year olds. I was rather offended by the amount of disrespect shown to someone dedicated to giving us the best Conan roleplaying game ever. Not a single thank you was given to Mongoose Old Bear for offering a bit of insight - just further demands for "proof" and further complaints that all the proof offered didn't count. Even if someone disagrees with the reasoning behind the proficiency and line of text, it is at least nice to be offered someone else's viewpoint.

All in all, it seems he is upset over a weapon proficiency, one line of text and one picture in a 128 page product - and created 7 pages of arguments over something trivial and should have been settled within a few posts. It is great that he stated what he disliked; as I said it is nice to see another viewpoint. However, it would have been nice if he had included in his "first impressions" a few things that he DID like.

You know, I rather think youve said it all.

Ive been lurking here, and readingthis whole thing unfold, and for the life of me I cant understand why a whip proficiency bothers Mad Dog so much. Its such a tiny thing. Houserule it out. I love Conan, but there are things I dont like with even the Atlantean Edition.

Furthermore, I might agree with you about the text for the Nymph class, but to a point. Is it exploitative? Sure. Overly so? A little, I think. But thats the genre. Its full of sex, and all the arguing in the world isnt going to change that. 90 percent of all women characters in Conan stories are bare-ass naked.

The real question is how much of the book is made up of things that you dont like. You cant damn an entire book for, what, 3 things that you dont like.

Wubble said:
The King said:
I think it is far better when everyone is warned.

Warned? I think his concern is trivial. I, for one, can easily think of weird stories with a naked wild woman running through the forests leading men to their deaths, laughing gleefully as she mocks the "strong" men who cannot control their impulses. She has abandoned civilisation (is fallen) by abandoning clothing and civilised behaviour. Perhaps legends of magical nymphs have such roots.

Warned? If nothing else, he has generated a lot of publicity for the product. Good for him! It is an exceptional book.
I didn't saw that one until now.
Your example is great but would you play this nymph as a PC? Quite difficult, isn't it?
I am just trying to imagine a barbarian, a borderer, a thief and a naked nymph entering Shadizar.
Sure with such a girl you can pass any gate with any goods you want without being bothered by the city guards.

No your not a sheep, your a Mad Dog.

Woof Woof

Why not write your own review for the book. Let others know what it is specifically you don't like. I feel that your protestations in this forum are falling on deaf ears and will only end up annoying people.

I think if I go and write a review on another site (which I have never done), I think it will be percieved as Mongoose-bashing, which is not my intent. What I wrote here was a sort of mini-review, and during the discussions here, I think I have laid out my concerns.

Whatever I write, people will ultimately have to decide for themselves by reading the whole product.

Mad Dog

The King, the issue is not the criticism - which is fine. I think it is the continued browbeating. MadDog stated what he did not like. Fine. The author gave his reasoning (which he didn't have to do, and I would not be surprised if he stopped offering such insights). Instead of saying that he disagreed or whatever, MadDog then went on to demand justifications for "trash", even though the author already gave the justification. It is fine that he disagreed with the justification, but why all the disrespectful language?

I have already answered a lot of this, including what was my mistake for not answering all of VIncents initial rebuttal where I cut only a portion of his text before responding to it. I already apologized for that.

I initially called it trash, then reduced it to "fluff", which is entirely appropriate. Wubble, have you read the entire book ? I have.

MadDog then asked for more instances of whip-wielding in REH Conan stories and when those were offered, he declared they did not count and continued on in that vein. He asked for an example of a single character running naked in the wilderness. When that was given he said it didn't count.

Yes Wubble, and if you had actually read our discussions, you would of understood where I was driving. Using a whip in a story or three does not translate into Exotic Weapon Proficiency into the Conan RPG, IMO.

Second, the only example of a nymph in REH-Conan is Atali which is a logical disconnect for reasons I already gave. She isnt human, she doesnt have the motivation of the nymph, and if you follow the graphic novel version (not sure if the original REH story specified forest or tundra), she isnt in a forest.

Then one of the high-ups of Mongoose shows up and people then start in accusing them of making a profit off of a product and of pandering to 13 year olds. I was rather offended by the amount of disrespect shown to someone dedicated to giving us the best Conan roleplaying game ever.

Wubble, how exactly do the cheesecake posed naked woman eating grapes on a tree add something meaningful to the Temptress ? (page 91 since you apparently dont have the book).

As for the best product ever, no one is immune from criticism. If I was in a cruel mode, I could ask you "if Mongoose is dedicated to the best product ever, why is the editing and proofing relatively poor compared to thier competitors, like WoC or KenzerCo ?" That, however, is a topic for which I do not plan on opening for the time being.

Not a single thank you was given to Mongoose Old Bear for offering a bit of insight - just further demands for "proof" and further complaints that all the proof offered didn't count. Even if someone disagrees with the reasoning behind the proficiency and line of text, it is at least nice to be offered someone else's viewpoint.

Like my viewpoint ?

All in all, it seems he is upset over a weapon proficiency, one line of text and one picture in a 128 page product - and created 7 pages of arguments over something trivial and should have been settled within a few posts.

It takes 2 to tango. If you dont want the thread to continue, why are you posting in it ?

However, it would have been nice if he had included in his "first impressions" a few things that he DID like.

Did you actually _READ_ what I posted ? Apparently not.

Mad Dog

Ive been lurking here, and readingthis whole thing unfold, and for the life of me I cant understand why a whip proficiency bothers Mad Dog so much. Its such a tiny thing. Houserule it out. I love Conan, but there are things I dont like with even the Atlantean Edition.

Sweet Jesus, how many times do I have to repeat myself ?

Once again, for those of you jumping in blindly:

Its.Not.Just.The.Whip.But.Several.Things.Taken.Together.Which.I.Think.Make.The.Temptress.Effort.Self.Defeating.

Got it ?

Furthermore, I might agree with you about the text for the Nymph class, but to a point. Is it exploitative? Sure. Overly so? A little, I think. But thats the genre. Its full of sex, and all the arguing in the world isnt going to change that. 90 percent of all women characters in Conan stories are bare-ass naked.

Its needlessly exploitive and adds nothing. Tell me, how many players are going to play a cheesecake-posed-grape-eating-naked-nymph ? Some of the others are entirely appropriate. The nymph is part that I think shoots the whole Temptress effort in the foot.

The real question is how much of the book is made up of things that you dont like. You cant damn an entire book for, what, 3 things that you dont like.

Read the first post in the thread, if you havnt already.

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
However, it would have been nice if he had included in his "first impressions" a few things that he DID like.

Did you actually _READ_ what I posted ? Apparently not.

I did not see a list of what you did like at all, just some things you did not like, followed by an list with no qualifications as to your opinion.

I do own the book, btw, and I have read it cover to cover.

MadDog said:
Wubble, how exactly do the cheesecake posed naked woman eating grapes on a tree add something meaningful to the Temptress ?

It isn't any different than most of the Boris covers, comic book covers and Tor book covers for Conan stories through the years. Probably the only real difference is that she is eating her own grapes and is not feeding the grapes to Conan or some Hyborian lord.

I did not see a list of what you did like at all, just some things you did not like, followed by an list with no qualifications as to your opinion.

Allow me to quote what I said in post #1:

"So, a toss up as far as I am concerned, whether it was worth the $25. The Temptress could of been something far better, but it sunk into the cliche sea. The other material is useful, and the proofing is far better than the hardbound books. "

So, as we can see, I have an overall neutral review. If I find the Tempress to be a negative, it must be logically balanced by a positive aspect in other parts of the book.

Take for example, my take on the feats:

"New Poisons. The book contains a number of new poisons, which are a welcome addition."

or

"New Feats. A selection of new feats. One or two might be repeats from other books (I havnt checked for sure), but most are interesting additions. "

So indeed, I have made positive comments on aspects of the book.

OK ?

Mad Dog

It isn't any different than most of the Boris covers, comic book covers and Tor book covers for Conan stories through the years. Probably the only real difference is that she is eating her own grapes and is not feeding the grapes to Conan or some Hyborian lord.

You are rationalizing. I really dont need to say any more.

Mad Dog

Do we think this is a good point to close this thread?

Mad Dog has plainly stated his concerns for all to read. Little is achieved by continuing to re-state different points, except to encourage resentment and bad feeling.

I think this would be a good place to stop sniping at each other and agree to disagree. Thanks to everybody for their views.

Cheers

Sam

MadDog said:

Yes Wubble, and if you had actually read our discussions, you would of understood where I was driving. Using a whip in a story or three does not translate into Exotic Weapon Proficiency into the Conan RPG, IMO.

Second, the only example of a nymph in REH-Conan is Atali which is a logical disconnect for reasons I already gave. She isnt human, she doesnt have the motivation of the nymph, and if you follow the graphic novel version (not sure if the original REH story specified forest or tundra), she isnt in a forest.

In the penned Novel, it's a Tundra, and that's really trivializing. So the description of nymph used forest instead of wild-lands. To make matters worse is that you still ignore the fact that you have been inform that the Frost Maiden never ID's herself PERIOD.

In the Penned Novel (I don't use graphic novels for reference) when Conan asks who she is and whence she she came, she simply replies "What matter." The closes the book comes to her nature is by reputation, mocking Conan for swearing by Ymir, and the following statement, "Brothers! Look who follows! I have brought a man to slay! Take his heart that we may lay it smoking on our father's board!"

Taking these facts she could easily be a temptress/scholar who is a priestess of Ymir among the frost giants. Howard obviously meant for her to be mysterious, and for all intents and purposes used her Rep to reveal who she was. Nothing was revealed to suggest that she was beyond that of a scholar, in fact she does little spectacular beyond running naked in the cold of winter, and her unearthly beauty. All of which could be uttained by scholarly methods...

MadDog said:
You are rationalizing. I really dont need to say any more.

Mad Dog
And you have been opinionated. You have clung to a point of view despite the sheer volume of evidence put forward against you viewpoint without offer anything new to back you point. Many elements you dislike are in the Howard novels, still you say it's wrong. You claim that there isn't enough Strong Female representation in the Genre, yet there are many strong females characters in the prior book. The only "weak" option for females is the "commoner" which is weak for everyone regardless of sex/race. In fact the Temptress is a socially strong class that favors woman, how you choose to represent one is up to you. If you see it as demeaning then that is your perspective, and that is a reflection of your character and an opinion.

The point of the temptress is to master people through one of our greatest weaknesses, lust, and it is one weakness that happens to be one some people are uncomfortable with.

I have an idea for a great adventure.
Teaser:

"The Whip, the Nymph and the Sadist".

Warning: very graphic; adventure for 18+ only. Level: 10-15.

New prestige class: the whipper.
Pre-requisite: Str. 15+, Dex. 17+.
Restriction: no armor proficiency, excepted black leather. When he reaches 10th level, he automatically gain a black leather mask (-2 to Cha. but provide a +5 circumstance bonus to Intimitate and Bluff).

In the penned Novel, it's a Tundra, and that's really trivializing. So the description of nymph used forest instead of wild-lands. To make matters worse is that you still ignore the fact that you have been inform that the Frost Maiden never ID's herself PERIOD.

Taking these facts she could easily be a temptress/scholar who is a priestess of Ymir among the frost giants.

Please. She is so clearly Atali. In the story she runs around in the freezing cold naked with no difficulty and in the end she teleports away. Atali, as listed in the Scross of Skelos, has both those abilities.

Now, if you think the person in the Frost Giants daughter is not Atali, and some sort of mortal temptress/scholar, why dont you point out in the rulebooks where a tempress/scholar would get either ability. Have fun.

And you have been opinionated. You have clung to a point of view despite the sheer volume of evidence put forward against you viewpoint without offer anything new to back you point.

What "evidence" are we talking about ? Atali is clearly the person in the story. I dont know how you can argue otherwise. I think its not approprite to give whip as a _weapon_ proficiency, which, being a matter of opinion is hard to declare right or wrong. I think the Nymph category is totally non-canon (despite trying to use Atali as an example for the reasons I already gave), and I think some of the text and illustrations detract from the Temptress. Why dont you tell me how the illustration on page 91 adds anything to the package ?

The point of the temptress is to master people through one of our greatest weaknesses, lust, and it is one weakness that happens to be one some people are uncomfortable with.

Comfortable ? Its painfully embarrasing to see an effort shot in the foot by descriptions and pictures that are counter-productive to taking the class seriously. IMO. Dont try reading too much more into that.

Mad Dog

@MadDog> The acts you state that so clearly show that the woman is clearly Atali, are easily the work of sorcery. The woman could clearly be named Atali, happens to a Priestess, and through sorcery achieved the abilities given to her. On top of this, IF she was a mighty sorceress, she could use immortality sorcery to extend her life, and create a reputation claiming to be the daughter of Ymir. Much like in Conana the Barbarian's Thulsa Doom claiming to be the "life-blood from which you flow." What you see as clearly deification, I see as clear sorcery. Her background could be fact, or merely a LIE she spread to enhance her reputation.

Running naked through the snow wouldn't be a major feat for Akivasha the Vampire, that doesn't make her deific. There are other instances in Howards work of sorcerers' vanishing. There is nothing in the story that sets her above a mere sorceress.

I am not saying that she isn't the daughter of Ymir, I pointing out that it is just as possible that she isn't, and that is enough justification on support of the Nymph.

On a side note: Atali doesn't teleport herself, she asks, "Ymir, oh my father save me!" And she disappears in a brilliant light. This still doesn't prove much in your case as most diciples consider their deity there Father/Mother.

The problem with your point of view is that you can't even consider the possibilities of the cons of your position. Clinging to the SoS doesn't make you position right, as it's not necessarily CANON, it was the authors' attempt to represent Atali through her implied stature from the story. As she doesn't appear in any future Howard writings and all traces of her vanish when Ymir saves her, it's the best position to take, not the ONLY position.

As to cheesy art, and "painfully embaressing shot in the foot descriptions" seems to be over stated. As to the picture on p.98, don't think about it much, though if I had to think about it I'd say it reminds me of the fable where Eve offer's the forbidden fruit. Or that's an very tempting grape... :twisted:

@MadDog> The acts you state that so clearly show that the woman is clearly Atali, are easily the work of sorcery. The woman could clearly be named Atali, happens to a Priestess, and through sorcery achieved the abilities given to her. On top of this, IF she was a mighty sorceress, she could use immortality sorcery to extend her life, and create a reputation claiming to be the daughter of Ymir. Much like in Conana the Barbarian's Thulsa Doom claiming to be the "life-blood from which you flow." What you see as clearly deification, I see as clear sorcery. Her background could be fact, or merely a LIE she spread to enhance her reputation.

First, it I find it highly doubtful that REH would tacitly introduce the "Atali" character if the person wasnt Atali. The shortness of the story would lend no point to that sort of deception.

Second, you have a good point about the vampire being one explanation of the cold resistance. However, we are now stretched to believe that instead of Atali, we have a vampire/temptress/scholar of Ymir instead of the much more straightforward explanation of her being Atali.

Finally, you have yet to explain the teleportation, an ability explicitly listed in Atali's description, and to the best of my knowldge, the only such place for that ability.

Running naked through the snow wouldn't be a major feat for Akivasha the Vampire, that doesn't make her deific. There are other instances in Howards work of sorcerers' vanishing. There is nothing in the story that sets her above a mere sorceress.

I am not saying that she isn't the daughter of Ymir, I pointing out that it is just as possible that she isn't, and that is enough justification on support of the Nymph.

Find me an explanation on Conan RPG terms. Everything in this thread is how Conan-novels translate into ConanRPG. None of our arguments can go beyond that constraint becuase we are talking solely in terms of Conan RPG.

On a side note: Atali doesn't teleport herself, she asks, "Ymir, oh my father save me!" And she disappears in a brilliant light. This still doesn't prove much in your case as most diciples consider their deity there Father/Mother.

Find me an ability that grants teleport.

The problem with your point of view is that you can't even consider the possibilities of the cons of your position.

Wrong. I have considered the other viewpoint and found it to be far less likely than what I reasoned out. The odds are, Atali IS the person on TFGD.

Why dont you consider this statement from Vincent:

"Once I stumbled upon those tales of yesteryear, I realised I did have an REH character similar to that; thus I did take the Frost Giant's Daughter to be an inspiration here (who scampers around naked in a frozen wilderness), although she is obviously something more than a mortal temptress. "

Clinging to the SoS doesn't make you position right, as it's not necessarily CANON, it was the authors' attempt to represent Atali through her implied stature from the story.

We are talking in terms of Conan the RPG, so using SoS as evidence is absolutely correct.

As she doesn't appear in any future Howard writings and all traces of her vanish when Ymir saves her, it's the best position to take, not the ONLY position.

Great. We agree there is a chance, however small, that Atali wasnt Atali. The evidence still supports my contention that it is more than likely she was Atali. About the only way to settle this is to dig up REH's corpse and cast Speak With Dead.

As to cheesy art, and "painfully embaressing shot in the foot descriptions" seems to be over stated. As to the picture on p.98, don't think about it much, though if I had to think about it I'd say it reminds me of the fable where Eve offer's the forbidden fruit. Or that's an very tempting grape...

Fine, We disagree then. How many characters have you run with that cheesecake pose naked in forests while eating grapes ? Not very ConanRPG-ish is it ?

Mad Dog

The kindly old king or the sniveling toady are very much parts of fantasy literature, but I dont see many people lining up to play them.

Hapless commoners who are ripe for the pillaging are found in almost every Conan story, but nobody wants to play them.

Personally, while I dont see much opportunity for a PC to choose such a class (well on guy might as a goof, but the results are always....wierd. :shock: ), I see alot of use for this as a NPC class. Like that witch from CTB. See seems to be alot like the Nymph class.

Perhaps as the minion of a cultist, luring travelers to the sacrificial altar.

Back