Hyboria's Fallen Cover

I just saw Hyboria's Fallen's cover on the website. Wow! I really love the covers Mongoose puts on their books and this one really is incredible.

It's awesome, but why didn't they put the seductress in front? :wink:

Look at the description of "Conan and the Lurking Terror of Nahab" - sounds very Conanesque: demons, human sacrifice, adultery and a jealous king on tour for revenge!

I hope they release it in pdf, too!

VincentDarlage said:
Because I was told to create a temptress class, not a bandit class.
What does the temptress do? Is it a class similar to the courtisan in OGL Ancients or is it still a secret project?

VincentDarlage said:
Because I was told to create a temptress class, not a bandit class.

Which is why I don't write professionally. I wouldn't want some hack editor telling me what to write based on market research and the immature desires of certain men. Let him learn how to write if he wants a bad cliche brought to life.

Immature? Did you read the description of the class? I did NOT write an immature class. Nor is my editor a hack.

"The first section of this book reveals a shadow few want to discuss – the temptress. Although there are males who fit the role of tempter, the fears of Hyborian society usually revolve around the women who break society's rules, the women who stand up to men, the women who refuse to give in to the laws dictated to them by the men who dominate their environment. They angrily label these women as 'whores' but this is an inaccurate label borne of man's fears, an attempt to belittle those who have the strength to stand up to the establishment. "

The Temptress is an archetype of film noir, fantasy and fiction in general... and is no more a cliche than any other character class. It all depends on how the character is played.

The King said:
What does the temptress do? Is it a class similar to the courtisan in OGL Ancients or is it still a secret project?

I don't have a copy of OGL Ancients, so I am sure it doesn't look anything at all like that. If you read the description of the product, which I reproduced in the previous post for Raven, you can get a good idea what the class is like, at least in attitude.

Having playtested this product, I can certainly say that it is an excellent addition to the Conan range. The Temptress class is awesome and it fills a role that has been missing from the Core rules. If you like Howards vision of the Conan world, you won't be dissapointed with this book.

And the editor is NOT a hack.

Cheers

Sam

is it the same class as the quint temptress pdf as thats a brilliant class and a good laugh and the mongoose crew are all awesome including the editor 8)

Raven Blackwell said:
Which is why I don't write professionally. I wouldn't want some hack editor telling me what to write based on market research and the immature desires of certain men. Let him learn how to write if he wants a bad cliche brought to life.

they already have a temptress product in pdf form as well as a blue magic EA pdf this is not a new line or a poll thing but would be a wonderful edition to the conan game 8)

Unlikely, as I don't have a copy of that book either. The Conan Temptress class is not a laughable class at all. It is a class that twists people around their fingers... then breaks them. Just like pirates and thieves, they leave anger, frustration and broken souls in their wake - and they get away with the goods.

VincentDarlage said:
Unlikely, as I don't have a copy of that book either. The Conan Temptress class is not a laughable class at all. It is a class that twists people around their fingers... then breaks them. Just like pirates and thieves, they leave anger, frustration and broken souls in their wake - and they get away with the goods.

now that sounds like true conan :D

If you are familiar with Howard's non-Conan stories, a good example of a Howardian temptress is Kormlada from Howard's The Grey God Passes.

VincentDarlage said:
The description you gave to Raven isn't very precise but this quote is better to understand the concept. It looks like the courtisan's role who uses her charms (be it on an emotional or social level) to achieve her purpose.
She can act as a whore but she can also play the woman who talks to the emperor so that her friends don't end in an arena with lions to fight (or at least they are given some weapons).

[I know that this being the official website of Mongoose Publishing (tm) it's usually gauche to say anything but 'yeah team go!' but bear with me here. I'm not going into full rant mode here]

VincentDarlage said:
Immature? Did you read the description of the class? I did NOT write an immature class. Nor is my editor a hack

But realisticly Vincent, deep in the depths of your heart, do you honestly think that somewhere in the back of your editor's mind the words 'Sex sells' does not dwell? A Book entitled "Thieves, Pirates and Temptresses" will sell much higher than "Thieves, Pirates and Bandits" in the 16-40 male age bracket- the prime age bracket for most roleplayers. That's why they told you to make it up. While it might be a commerically viable product- it's not something I could do and to me it's not art. It's is, in Interent parlance, providing content. I personally couldn't write for a publisher's demands as opposed to write what I want. Yes I make no money- but I enjoy it much better than when I was writing for publication. Three small pieces and I realized I liked writing for fun felt better and produced better work than when I wrote to someone else's orders.

"The first section of this book reveals a shadow few want to discuss – the temptress. Although there are males who fit the role of tempter, the fears of Hyborian society usually revolve around the women who break society's rules, the women who stand up to men, the women who refuse to give in to the laws dictated to them by the men who dominate their environment. They angrily label these women as 'whores' but this is an inaccurate label borne of man's fears, an attempt to belittle those who have the strength to stand up to the establishment."

As a multiple rape survivor with mystic leanings and a pagan priestess of the Dark Goddess I am very familiar with the Shadow side of the feminine. Only in my experience the Dark Lady's power isn't the sort that makes you want to put on a frilly dress and say "come and get it boys". She's a lot more bloody and carnal. As I've experienced Her as the Morrigan who will kill a lover who refuses them. As the Furies who drive any man insane who commits sin against kin or child to watch him suffer. Persephone in Her aspect as the Queen of Hell. Diana the Huntress who will devour a man who enters Her sanctuary unbidden. Lilith who has sworn to destroy all the works of Adam and provided sancturary to man of the outcasts of humanity. I like Them. They make me feel safe.

But I doubt They test well in the 16-40+ male age group. 8)

The Temptress is an archetype of film noir, fantasy and fiction in general... and is no more a cliche than any other character class. It all depends on how the character is played.

Yes, but I- personally- am looking for somethign different than what's been published before. The idea of a woman [or man] using passive/aprgessive tactics to get what they want isn't new. There's been 'class' versions of this since D&D 2ed I believe.

Conan is a better system than D&D 3.5- don't get me wrong- but beyond the inital changes in Basic System and the potential of the Sorcery system that has yet to be fully developed nothing yet has fully engaged me. At this point I've been taking published stuff and cannabilizing the modules and supplements of other systems to provide for my campaign- or writing my own content some of which I have published on this site and others for other people to enjoy.

But like a Mets fan I just keep hoping and saying 'Maybe next supplement"

Raven, you should look at the cover of this coming book. It is far from any sexual intent. I have seen cover with women more naked than this cover; here is an example of what you would fight against: http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameLittlePeople.php.

Raven Blackwell said:
Only in my experience the Dark Lady's power isn't the sort that makes you want to put on a frilly dress and say "come and get it boys".

I didn't write the class that way.

Raven Blackwell said:
She's a lot more bloody and carnal. As I've experienced Her as the Morrigan who will kill a lover who refuses them. As the Furies who drive any man insane who commits sin against kin or child to watch him suffer. Persephone in Her aspect as the Queen of Hell. Diana the Huntress who will devour a man who enters Her sanctuary unbidden. Lilith who has sworn to destroy all the works of Adam and provided sancturary to man of the outcasts of humanity. I like Them. They make me feel safe.

This is the class I wrote. If you play the Temptress in that manner, you have the spirit of what I intended.

Try not to judge it until you have seen it. How about that for an idea? Your pre-judgement really boggles my mind. I am quite sure the class will not satisfy anyone who wants an instant prostitute class. Anyone who plays it that way just does not get it - just like anyone playing a pansy barbarian who likes to wear lipstick (no offense intended to any real-life pansy barbarians wearing lipstick).

VincentDarlage said:
Raven Blackwell said:
Only in my experience the Dark Lady's power isn't the sort that makes you want to put on a frilly dress and say "come and get it boys".

I didn't write the class that way.

Raven Blackwell said:
She's a lot more bloody and carnal. As I've experienced Her as the Morrigan who will kill a lover who refuses them. As the Furies who drive any man insane who commits sin against kin or child to watch him suffer. Persephone in Her aspect as the Queen of Hell. Diana the Huntress who will devour a man who enters Her sanctuary unbidden. Lilith who has sworn to destroy all the works of Adam and provided sancturary to man of the outcasts of humanity. I like Them. They make me feel safe.

This is the class I wrote. If you play the Temptress in that manner, you have the spirit of what I intended.

Try not to judge it until you have seen it. How about that for an idea?

I agree with Vincent here. The class as written by Vincent, is extremely dark and totally inline with Howard's vision of his world. Read it, then comment.

Sam

Back