How many M.I. on a Corvette?

mthomason

Mongoose
Just looking for a little help in some research here...

Does anyone happen to know how many M.I. are usually carried on a Corvette? (quoting a source would be very handy)

Would it be a whole Division, a Brigade, a Regiment, a Battalion, a Company, or just a single Platoon?

Just to add to this - the original novel specified a single platoon on a Corvette, but that doesn't mesh with anything Mongoose have produced (which all leans towards the giant capital ships used in the movie). So it's more a case of what size of M.I. unit does everyone think should be aboard? :)

Flicking through the SST RPG (as it's the best source I can come up with), Corvettes have a crew of 218 but I'm guessing that doesn't include passengers...

Well, if the rpg says 200+.....
Seems like a lot to me, corvettes are very small ships. I'd say a full squad or at most a platoon.

Sgt. Brassones said:
I think you could only get four or five guys in a Corvette. :lol:

Dammit somebody went for the comedy option.

Before I could. :cry:

And besides, if Denise Richards was one of them, I'm sure they'd make room. :D

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

chris_valera said:
Sgt. Brassones said:
I think you could only get four or five guys in a Corvette. :lol:

Dammit somebody went for the comedy option.

Before I could. :cry:

And besides, if Denise Richards was one of them, I'm sure they'd make room. :D

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

I'd toss out an officer to make room for Carmen Ibanez...

Aniyn said:
Well, if the rpg says 200+.....
Seems like a lot to me, corvettes are very small ships. I'd say a full squad or at most a platoon.

Corvettes are huge in the movie, and tiny in the book (hence my problem in tying up various canons to work out how many M.I. should be aboard)

Mongoose have gone for the movie (/CGI) option with a Corvette being a largish troop carrier, with a couple of hundred crew (Fleet personnel) aboard. My thinking from that is that there should be at least as many troops aboard as crew to make it a viable transport ship. Battalion works nicely technically, but after some thought a Company would work far better for my purposes as it would place a Captain aboard as the highest ranking M.I. officer (as well as making multiple platoon types available)...

did they actually say the Roj was a corvette in the movie? The novel says that there's various sizes of ships, but the MI prefer the corvettes because they're a good size to carry a single platoon, which is all they need for most missions. But then again, the MI platoons of the novel have more power than the platoons of the game.

I'd say the game equivelant of the Transport Corvette would probably have enough space to carry no more than a company of troops plus their dropships, probably somewhere in the region of 150 size points worth?

Lorcan Nagle said:
did they actually say the Roj was a corvette in the movie?

I don't think they do, but the Mongoose material lists it as a "TFCT" (Terran Federation Corvette Transport).

If I can fit one (even two) companies on board it works fine for me. If it turns out it's a Battalion-level transport then I can just put them at half strength :)

mthomason said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
did they actually say the Roj was a corvette in the movie?

I don't think they do, but the Mongoose material lists it as a "TFCT" (Terran Federation Corvette Transport).

TFTC comes from the original novel, so it coudl just be a case of mixing references

If I can fit one (even two) companies on board it works fine for me. If it turns out it's a Battalion-level transport then I can just put them at half strength :)

Yeah, sure it's all fluff anyway. You could just say your transport is a company level transport or somesuch.

Lorcan Nagle said:
You could just say your transport is a company level transport or somesuch.

Thats a good point... there's nothing to say that a "Corvette" is just one standard design, it's a class that could cover several designs with varying capacities :)

Just so you know why getting it right is so important to me, I'm in the middle of writing some SST material and want to make sure I don't get a raft of "you got the corvette size wrong" complaints (hence my need to get the "fluff" as correct as possible given the mess trying to tie the movie, CGI, and books together...) ;)

Thanks for the help :)

(hence my problem in tying up various canons to work out how many M.I. should be aboard)
What choice of canons? There's only one book...

As for your decision, I think just go with what works. If you're basing it on the book, a platoon is about 50 MI (best guess, I can cite a my source in the book if you want). Don't know what crew sizes are.

Bakerman said:
(hence my problem in tying up various canons to work out how many M.I. should be aboard)
What choice of canons? There's only one book...

The game is a mix of book/movie/CGI canons, taking a little from each and mixing together, therefore it's sometimes difficult seeing where the dividing lines are.

For example, the book states that a Corvette is relatively small. The RPG states they are considerably larger, due to the ships seen in the movie/CGI. Mostly Mongoose have chosen to go with the CGI for their games, fitting in movie/book material around it.

All in all though there's so much choice with the clash of sources that it looks like I can pretty much say whatever I want and make an excuse to make it "fit" ;)

Hiromoon said:
Did you refrence the UCF book too

You know, other than The Arachnid Empire, thats the only book I didn't pick up to look through :)

I'll do that next, just to make sure it doesn't clash with anything I'm writing.

Unless I can find a good reason in there (or anywhere else) not to, I'm going with this particular corvette being a Battalion-level transport, with the M.I. having taken serious losses reducing them to a strength of about two companies.

Thanks everyone for the help with this :)

Shouldn't a 'Corvette' be a medium sized patrol vessel? Should be sized smaller than a frigate.

Obviously in space things are different - from what I recall of the SST movie, there were a few different ships (or were they just different colours) crashed at Ticonderoga after the battle for Klendathu, but all looked pretty large. I would've thought that they were all ships of the line, rather than mere corvettes.

Alexb83 said:
Shouldn't a 'Corvette' be a medium sized patrol vessel? Should be sized smaller than a frigate.

Obviously in space things are different - from what I recall of the SST movie, there were a few different ships (or were they just different colours) crashed at Ticonderoga after the battle for Klendathu, but all looked pretty large. I would've thought that they were all ships of the line, rather than mere corvettes.

Actually, if I remember the RPG correctly, there are two types of Corvettes. The normal one that has decent armor and weapons, and the transport one that's modular, but lacks the heavier weapons and armor of it's sibling.

Back