How does Sundering Parry work?

Wakrob

Mongoose
I realize there is a typo or something but does Sundering Parry work this way...

I can lower my Parry defense value by 2 and if my opponent misses I can then attempt a Sunder against his weapon.

Seems very good. And it seems 'free' so could be used against any number of opponents per turn?

Thanks
Wakrob

Sundering Parry (AE, page 180) doesn't clearly state whether it should be declared on your round and lasts until your next round, or simply be invoked as an enemy rolls to hit you. I'm inclined towards the latter and in this case you will have to decide if "you may only perform one of the following Combat Maneuvers per turn" means that you can do it once per round, or as many times as you wish each round, since you're performing the same maneuver.

While I'm inclined to agree with the analysis by Turim, I would think it would be pretty cool if you were allowed to do it as often as you'd like per round but with a cumulative -2 penalty to Parry. So after the first it would -2, then -4, -6 and so on. Additionally, you could also use the skill similar to how an attack of oppurtunity is made, ergo you can make one around unless you have the Combat Reflexes feat.

Just a few ideas to mull over. As has been said, the ability isn't 100% clear.

It's done when you Parry. That is something you do each time someone attacks you.

Dude swings, you elect to Parry. Because you have Sundering Parry, if your Parry works and the attacking dude misses, you get a Sunder attempt at his weapon as a Free Action.

Simple as that.

Every time you Parry.

Sutek said:
Dude swings, you elect to Parry. Because you have Sundering Parry, if your Parry works and the attacking dude misses, you get a Sunder attempt at his weapon as a Free Action.
Yeah, but you take a -2 penalty to Parry when using it, so it is something you have to elect to do before the attack. I would say you declare it just when someone attacks you (as opposed to at the beginning of the turn, or so). You could probably use it more than once per round to, not sure about that though.

Sutek said:
Every time you Parry.

At the being of Combat Manuevers the rules state you can only do one Combat Manuever per turn. So you feel that means you can Sundering Parry in any given turn but still as many times as you want?

Wak

Trodax said:
Sutek said:
Yeah, but you take a -2 penalty to Parry when using it, so it is something you have to elect to do before the attack. I would say you declare it just when someone attacks you (as opposed to at the beginning of the turn, or so). You could probably use it more than once per round to, not sure about that though.

Yes, because the requirement is that you are Parrying.

In other words, you have to declare yourself as Dodging or Parrying each time you are attacked. When you declare that you are Parrying against one attacker, you can say that you are also attempting to Sundering Parry as well. You're thereby electing to take the -2 penalty, letting him attack based of that, and if he still doesn't connect with a successful hit you immediately get to make a Sunder attempt.

I'm having a hard time seeing exactly where the confusion is...

Wakrob said:
Sutek said:
Every time you Parry.

At the being of Combat Manuevers the rules state you can only do one Combat Manuever per turn. So you feel that means you can Sundering Parry in any given turn but still as many times as you want?

Wak

Erm...obviously not. You can elect to use it any time you parry.

It's no different really from Cat's Parry. With that one, you have to (A) decide to parry, (B) elect to use the manuver, granting the attacker a +4 to hit you, and (C) if he then misses you get a free AoO.

Just because you are Parrying, in other words, does not mean that you automatically get a Sundering Parry just because you have the manuver. You still must elect to use it that turn.

Back