History/Overview

Claybor

Banded Mongoose
Hi all. Just a quick question.

Do any of the 2nd edition books give a history and overview of the setting like the spinward marches book did n the 1st?

Behind the Claw provides historical information about both the Spinward Marches and Deneb sectors.

This seems to be something that they're doing region by region in appropriate books rather than 'a grand history of...' all by itself. Behind The Claw (Spinward/Deneb), The Pirates of Drinax (Trojan Reach), etc.

Is there a specific area that you're interested in?

I was looking for a general overview of the whole thing including major regions, races etc...

I am somewhat familiar with it, but my players are new to traveller. They will be looking for this and will be disappointed that it does not exist for mgt2, as am I.

Quite a glaring omission in my opinion.

Thanks for the answers.

The idea here is that Charted Space is too vast for a comprehensive history, so we have been doing it region by region - however, we are indeed looking at something for new players.

I find it impressive enough the Travellermap project describes THOUSANDS of systems not just the Imperium but the whole of charted space. There's also 40 years of published regional backgrounds and history which is often still available. The fact Mongoose decided to concentrate on the popular domain region encompassing the Spinward Marches. Trojan Reach, Deneb and Reft should make clear how much time and work goes into it. They barely scratched the surface and are still creating more.

I can not think of any other SFRPG system that gives fans so much fertile grounds to create the history and background of other sectors and domains just within the Imperium.

The Traveller wiki has tons of information, though it can be a bit of a challenge to find what you're looking for if you don't know what that is...

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/History

Is a place to start for a very general overview.

Oh yeah, I know that there's tons out there, but I am not going to hook any players but directing them to a database search. :D

Claybor said:
I was looking for a general overview of the whole thing including major regions, races etc...

I am somewhat familiar with it, but my players are new to traveller. They will be looking for this and will be disappointed that it does not exist for mgt2, as am I.

Quite a glaring omission in my opinion.
To give a reasonable overview is difficult because of the scope as people have said. It is too massive in terms of worlds and cultures and time.

If I were you I would write just a one or two of page primer. List the major races (and local polities like the Darrians and the Sword Worlders if you are playing close to their territory) with a one (or at most two) line description. Then maybe a very short history at the extreme macro level. Sort of one or two lines per event. So Rule of Man is one line. Long Night is one line. Solomani Rim War one line etc. Then maybe a paragraph about how their are different cultural areas in the Third Imperium and how the locals control what goes on the planet and how each planet can be very diferent in politics and mores to each other. There is no one overarching Imperial culture.

Obviously if you are playing as an Aslan or a Vargr then they will have a completely different history - what they consider important is likely to be different even if they are a native of a Third Imperium world. If they are from their own spheres of space then their universe history is likely to be massively different. Even some Humaniti polities are going to treat history differently - what is important for Solomani probably isn't at all important for Darrians or Zhodani or Floriani. Even a Sylean is likely to have a different view on some things to other Imperials.

What more do you think your players need? Even what I have listed is probably more than some characters will know.

Does something material in the history change between MgT1 and MgT2? If not, whats wrong with just using what you have from MgT1? Why would it not suffice?

Of course we can find the info elsewhere or in past versions, but we hoped that there would be something in the current line of books. Was just asking if anything fit the bill. We wanted something new and shiny, there's nothing wrong with that. :D

You're right, Claybor, there isn't anything wrong with that. Unfortunately, this game's lore is spread out across multiple versions and varying book types. Some of it is in adventures, some is in sourcebooks, bits are in campaign sets. It's all over the place. That's kind of the thrill of it, actually. You have to dig up all this apocryphal stuff and you find out more and more as you read. You find an old copy of MegaTraveller Vilani and Vargr and learn things about the Vargr Extents and the Vilani humans. You nab a beautiful, near-mint copy of Classic Traveller's Alien Module 4: Zhodani, and find out about their cool history. You luck into MegaTraveller Journal 3 and learn about the awesome tech level-16 world of Vincennes. The list goes on. After digging around, you learn all this cool history, see new ships, gear, planets, aliens, etc., some of it a little goofy but most of it pretty darned great, and it all adds into your game.

Is it summarized in one tome and easy to obtain? No, obviously not. But you really don't need it all. Find out about one sector where you want your Travellers to adventure and get into it; while doing so, find more of the old stuff and read through it. I'm telling you, it's like finding rare treasure. And then in your next adventure, add some of that in. Traveller is like a fine dish that you cook up that keeps getting better and better as you find more rare spices to mix into the broth. I'm sorry that that probably isn't very satisfying to you or your players, but if you stick with it, this game has payoffs that surpass those of most other RPGs.

I think like with most games, it varies between a general overview, and a very detailed one specific to the adventure or scenario you're embarking on.

It does tend to make campaigns distinct under different Dungeon Masters, as they alter details and fill in the gaps at their discretion.

Back