Hibernia?

Richgo22

Mongoose
Hibernia? Is everybody on this forum in the BFE-SSTE sleep?

I would like to see some pics on the new stuff from Matt, or likewize follow some interesting thread on this forum.

But the bears are of. . . .

Just waiting. Matt said somewher ther would be a more official announcment on BFE in a few weeks. There's also the game at Mongoose HQ at the end of the month. Until then, it's just waiting....

Hibernia was occasionally used for Scotland because of course post Roman Britain the Irish invaded Pictland (now Scotland), killed all the Picts and settled down.

Hibernia is usually Ireland though (And actually the cause for non-invasion is probably lack or resouces to make up for the Romans time and the massive overstretch of their armies, similarly Pictland where the Romans actually invaded and beat the Picts in the extreme North but left because they knew they could barely hold the British/German/Dacian/Persian borders already.))

xeoran said:
Hibernia was occasionally used for Scotland because of course post Roman Britain the Irish invaded Pictland (now Scotland), killed all the Picts and settled down.

Hibernia is usually Ireland though (And actually the cause for non-invasion is probably lack or resouces to make up for the Romans time and the massive overstretch of their armies, similarly Pictland where the Romans actually invaded and beat the Picts in the extreme North but left because they knew they could barely hold the British/German/Dacian/Persian borders already.))

There is actually some scarce and debated evidence that a force of Roman Auxiliaries (but not a full Legion) were in Ireland at some point in order to help a client king put down a rebellion or some such.

Certainly they never invaded for the reasons Xeoran gives

emperorpenguin said:
There is actually some scarce and debated evidence that a force of Roman Auxiliaries (but not a full Legion) were in Ireland at some point in order to help a client king put down a rebellion or some such.

Really, any chance of linkage?

Was it late Roman Empire? That seems the only period that makes sense.

Of course I wouldntbe surprised if there were Romano-British punitive experditions/raids (all very small) against Irish raiders (or Irish raiding bases in Britian itself).

xeoran said:
emperorpenguin said:

Really, any chance of linkage?

Was it late Roman Empire? That seems the only period that makes sense.

Of course I wouldntbe surprised if there were Romano-British punitive experditions/raids (all very small) against Irish raiders (or Irish raiding bases in Britian itself).

I'll have a look but I read it in books.
On the side against they say there's no written record of a punitive expedition to Ireland but the pro side counter that by saying were it not for Caesar's Gallic Wars there is absolutely no other historical reference to the invasion of Britain in 55BC

OK this is from Wiki but I'll see if I can dig up the stuff I was looking at a couple of years ago! (fingers crossed!)

Generally in Ireland, Roman material is rare and found in different contexts from the native La Tene material. No roads have been identified as being Roman, and no large Roman settlements have been found. However in the southeast of Ireland, where native material is rare, Roman-style cemeteries and large quantities of Roman artifacts have been found.

A group of burials on Lambay Island, off the coast of County Dublin, contained Roman brooches and decorative metalware of a style also found in northern England from the late first century. However this could represent, for example, Brigantes fleeing reprisal from the crushed revolt of 74.

Tara, the midland ritual complex, Clogher, a northern hillfort, and Cashel, in the south have produced early and late Roman material, the first two having produced no native finds of contemporary age. The place name Cashel is thought to derive from the Latin castellum. All become capitals of new kingdoms and all believe that their origins derive from Britain. If these were British settlers whether they were supported by or fleeing from Roman influence is not known.

At Drumanagh, 25 km north of Dublin, a large (200,000 m²) site has recently been identified as possibly Roman. Consisting of a peninsula defended by three rows of parallel ditches on the landward side, the site appears to be a port or bridgehead. Access to the finds and the site has been prohibited for over 10 years due to a court case about ownership.

Other Roman influences can be seen such as the penannular brooch, used to fasten Irish cloaks from 4th-11th century, which derives from a style of Romano-British brooch, or the early medieval Irish sword which derived from the Roman Spatha and even the rapid adoption of Christianity.

Roman coins have been found at Newgrange, possibly offerings from early tourists

Tuathal was, in the Irish myths, a High King of Ireland. He was the son of a High King Fiacha Finnfolaidh. His father was overthrown and killed in a revolt by the King of Ulster. Tuathal's mother, who was the daughter of the King of Alba (Britain), fled to Britain with her son. 20 years later he returned to Ireland, defeated his fathers enemies in a series of battles and subdued the entire country. He became High King at Tara, on the Irish East Coast. There he convened a conference where he established laws. He annexed territory from each of the other four provinces to create the central province of Míde (Meath). Four fortresses were built, one for each of the four areas of land.

Some consider him to be the first real High King. The dating of Irish history/mythology is prone to error, however the most popular belief is that Tuathal was exiled in 56 and reigned from around 80 to 100.

Tacitus, the Roman author, tells us that around this time Agricola had with him an Irish chieftain who would return to conquer Ireland with an army. Juvenal later tells us that Roman arms were "taken beyond the shores of Ireland." Excavations at sites linked to the tale of Tuathal have produced Roman material of the late 1st or early 2nd centuries. Perhaps Tuathal was that Irish chieftain, and he carried out his Midlands conquest with Roman-trained troops, power and technology.

Everyone accepts that Julius Caesar 'invaded' Britain. Yet his army left few discoverable traces, stayed only a couple of years, and failed to incorporate Britain into the Roman Empire. It is only through the survival of Caesar's book, The Gallic War, that we know of the Roman invasion of Britain in 54 BC. (The successful invasion and incorporation into the Roman Empire occurred 100 years later).

The few other remaining texts from that period, combined with the archaeology, suggest that interaction between Romanised Britain and Ireland occurred. But without the miraculous discovery of a lost Roman text, or some dramatic archaeological finds, the details will remain debated.

I read something about the "Sons of Clan Calatan" which are believed to be a description of Roman Auxilia in their perfect drill order.
There was something about a client king and Roman troops sent to help him repel trouble, whether that is Tuathal I don't remember

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/BA/ba14/ba14feat.html

http://www.blather.net/shitegeist/2002/07/hibernia_romana.htm

Back