Hey, Mongoose - Official Errata?

Well I know I have spotted a few things that need errata. I am not talking about any rule issues here either, just simple typos and misplaced terms. So a question about errata is quite valid.

Heck! My RQII book has errata printed on the inside cover in both the front and the back.

Melkor said:
I think new Parry & Dodge tables (along with a bit of other errata) are overdue.

Those tables are not that bad. There is only one small thing which needs to be changed:
In case of successful attack & critical Dodge, the results are Attack fails:Attacker overextended.

Then it works fine.

Melkor said:

I think new Parry & Dodge tables (along with a bit of other errata) are overdue.

I agree. It seems like every time we play I find a new error of some sort. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort on Mongoose's part to produce an errata document. How's about it Mongoose?

Greetings

My take on this is that you need a document in two separate sections (or two documents). One is clarifications - ie explanations of how things are expected to work - some of Matt's comments on various threads fall into this category.

The second is errata - changes that should be made by the players to the book eg "page 81 under Duties replace the first word 'Runepriests' with 'Runelords'".

I know from personal experience that neither of these are easy to write to avoid creating more problems than you solve.

I would hope we will get them - in the meantime does someone want to start a specific thread to help Mongoose out? After all even if you spot something there is no guarantee Mongoose will spot it too.

Regards

Hi guys,

The Player's Guide is indeed the place to find updates and changes. If there is anything you would specifically like us to look at, let us know, and we'll get on the case!

msprange said:
Hi guys,

The Player's Guide is indeed the place to find updates and changes. If there is anything you would specifically like us to look at, let us know, and we'll get on the case!

1) SPEEDART SPELL: It has effects by magnitude, yet itsn't progessive. It also has no duration, so a player could carry dozens of enchanted arrows for years.

2) ARMOR CHART: THere are a lot iof discrepancies. Chain mail skirt and trews both cover the legs (rather than skirt covering the abdomen), but have different prices and ENC scores for the same AP. A leather hauberk has indentical AP, ENC and skill penalty with a heavy leather haubkerk, but for less than half the price. The helmet has the same AP and ENC as a chain coif, but is cheaper and with a lower ENC penaty (was this supposed to be a 4 point helm?).

3) FLURRY: IS the -20% penalty a flat modifer to all attacks, or is it -20% times the number of attacks? Basically for someone with 100% skill and 4 combat actions who flurries does he roll:

a) 80% four all four attacks
b) 20% for all four attacks
c) 80% for the first attack, 60% for the second attack, 40% for the third attack, and 20% for the four tattack.
d) something else

4) SURPRISE
When a character is suprised, it states that he gets a -10 Strike Rank penalty, and can only use reactions to attacks that occur after his own Strike Rank. How does that apply to the second and third actions in a round?

For example, if we had an adventurerer, Rusk Runespear, attacked by a troll and a bunch of Trollkin. The Troll is SR 20 (he rolled good), Rusk is SR 15 (rolled great, but -10 penalty), and the Trollkin at SR 12 (they rolled bad).

According to the book, the troll attacks,on SR 20, faster than Rusk, so rusk can't reeact to the attack and defend. Then on SR 12 the trollkin attack, and Rusk can reect because he has a higher Strike Rank.

Okay, when we get around to the second combat actions, can Rusk react tho the troll's second attack ? Or can he just parry/dodge the trollkin and not the troll?

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Shouldn't there be some way to get an "Overextended" result on the combat tables? Like maybe a crit dodge against a successful attack?

Also, in S&P 36 the "Lethal" weapon tables don't increase the AP/HP of any of the weapons along with their damages. Is that intentional?

Thanks.

Hi Matt,

Here are a few things I hope you can look at:

Skills

Close Combat Weapons Table (1H Hammer): is the hevy mace supposed to be listed under the Weapons Covered column?

Combat

Ranged Attack Situational Modifiers Table (Per 10 SIZ target is above SIZ 20): is the modifier really -10%?

Magic

Casting Spells: shouldn't the last sentence be: If the Runecasting test fails, the spell does not take effect and the character loses 1 Magic Point?

Equipment

The armour table seems to have a few bugs, especially with the helmet, leather hauberk, and perhaps the chainmail skirt.

Improving Adventurers

Legendary Abilities (Battle Fury): the ability says that your STR and CON are considered 5 points higher for purposes of determing your damage modifier only. Is that right? Shouldn't it be STR and SIZ?

The following are a few from a thread started by Halfbat:

p39 - Armour table. Total skill penalty for "Helmet" is stated as 4% which contradicts the text on p38.
>>>Should be 5%?
---------
p39 - Armour table. AP, total skill penalty for leather hauberk appear to duplicate the Heavy leather but cost is only 150.
>>>Probably should be 1 AP, ENC 1, Cost ???, TSP -2%
---------
p43 Potions table incorrectly labelled as "Crystals" archer
>>>Copy/paste error

p61 - Combat Example "Fego" receives -7 hit points to his chest but dies instantly.
>>>p55 states he should get a Resilience test to die and another to stay conscious.
Para 4&5 - repeated/rephrased info???
---------
p81 - Runelords - Duties refers to Runepriests.
>>>Typo, but should income donation be more than priests?
---------
p112 - Elf The Long Bow is listed as 1d10 damage as opposed to 2d8 damage in the weapon table. Siggtryg
>>>Should elves use Nomad bows or longbows?

Thanks for looking into this!

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Just to let you know, we are on this. . .

Thanks Matt. Glad to hear it.

Would you also mind throwing in some clarification about Criticals in the Opposed Roll system ?

Do Opposed Rolls (outside of combat) use Criticals ? If so, if both opponents succeed, does a critical 'trump' a standard success ?

What about developing some options that utilize the "Attacker Fails" row on the Parry and Dodge tables ? Is that something we might see before a future supplement ? Maybe as part of any eratta you release ?

GoingDown said:
Melkor said:

Those tables are not that bad. There is only one small thing which needs to be changed:
In case of successful attack & critical Dodge, the results are Attack fails:Attacker overextended.

Then it works fine.

I don't personally have the new books yet, still waiting for my package in the mail. However I have read some in the core rule book a friend of mine had purchased.

When reading the Parry & Dodge tables, I got the impression that failed attack + failed parry or dodge = successfull attack.

I was sure that was a typo too. Are you saying it isn't? (Or did I just misread it?)

SGL.

Trifletraxor said:
When reading the Parry & Dodge tables, I got the impression that failed attack + failed parry or dodge = successfull attack.

I was sure that was a typo too. Are you saying it isn't? (Or did I just misread it?)

There is official clarification about this, see players guide thread. Those table rows (failed attack) are not used on normal circumstances.

Additional errata picked up from elsewhere -

Speedart is stated as being progressive but is missing the Progressive trait. It is also appears to be missing a Duration trait (similar to Multimissile - Duration 1?).

Firearrow is missing the Duration trait (probably Duration 1)

Without these limitations, such spells become incredibly powerful - "Firearrow" and "Speedart" factories operating round the clock.

GoingDown said:
Trifletraxor said:

There is official clarification about this, see players guide thread. Those table rows (failed attack) are not used on normal circumstances.

The tables are bad, and even with the official clarification still make little sense.
Firstly the skill resolution system gives 4 possible results to each participant (Fumble, Fail, Success, Critical) but the parry and dodge tables only provide a 3x3 matrix...
Secondly the tables are obviously written to interpret the results of a separate opposed check after a successful attack (otherwise an attacker result of Critical doesn't "get promoted" to a critical (I forget the exact terms used) as it is already one...
Someone needs to decide what the Combat rules really are and then re-write the tables to support that decision.

duncan_disorderly said:
Firstly the skill resolution system gives 4 possible results to each participant (Fumble, Fail, Success, Critical) but the parry and dodge tables only provide a 3x3 matrix...

Fumbles are quite easy: when either character fumbles, GM decides the effect (it is told on Fumble character). Why it is needed on table?

Secondly the tables are obviously written to interpret the results of a separate opposed check after a successful attack (otherwise an attacker result of Critical doesn't "get promoted" to a critical (I forget the exact terms used) as it is already one...

Someone needs to decide what the Combat rules really are and then re-write the tables to support that decision.

I have heard that during playtesting the system has changed, but old tables and examples were used on book. I don't know if it is true.

I think it is already decided (by Matt?) that one roll is way to go. Maybe we got new tables on upcoming clarification document, but I am fine with current tables, it is not so big deal.

Back