Hexographer: web-based hex map creation software

SowelBlack

Mongoose
A few weeks back I added support for creating star maps to my web-based hex mapping software project called "Hexographer."

When exchanging some messages with a few people on another board, someone pointed out it would be great for games like Traveller. I added a couple of features he suggested to make it useful for traveller: The ability to give planets arbitrary colors and place different colored rings around them.

Here's the link: Hexographer main page

If you want to use it to create a star map, go to the "Start the Software" link and an applet will appear in the middle of the next page, then once it starts select the size of your map using the choosers in the upper left corner of the applet. Next, click the "Solid Terrain" button and then choose "Stars" from the list under that button, then click "Generate Map."

A window will open that is mostly a set of black hexes with stars. "Click the "Cosmic" tab near the top of the window. Now you'll see some icons that you can add to the map by clicking an icon button then clicking a hex in the map. You will also see a couple of checkboxes and color choosers that allow you to add a ring around an icon and change the colors of the icons and ring.

To add text labels, click the "Text" tab. Most of the software is designed for wilderness RPG maps, so the different text types match that concept. Still, you could use the "State" button for labels that are planet/system names and the "Nation" button for labeling a larger area. Also note that most of the text is set by default to black. Go to the "Options" menu and choose "Customize Line/Text Settings" to change the font faces/colors/styles/sizes.

Let me know if there are some other things I can add to make it useful for Traveller and similar games.

Nice! I like the changes. One thing I notice with the text options was that some of the option buttons are obscured by the frame. Could you fix this so that all the buttons are legible?

Pax et bonum,

Dale Meier
Creative Director
Hell Creek Sanitarium
Omaha, NE

Interesting. Definitely useful if you need something quick and/or don't have other mapping software.

I, for one, would find it a lot more useful if you could figure out how to set it up to generate the flattened icosohedral template form that Traveller planet maps tend to use, such as those found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~thinlines/hexmaps/PlanetMap.gif

kristof65 said:
Interesting. Definitely useful if you need something quick and/or don't have other mapping software.

I, for one, would find it a lot more useful if you could figure out how to set it up to generate the flattened icosohedral template form that Traveller planet maps tend to use, such as those found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~thinlines/hexmaps/PlanetMap.gif

Yep. That's on the upcoming features list. The same template is in the "Worldbuilder's Guidebook" from TSR in the early 90s.

Sylvre Phire said:
Nice! I like the changes. One thing I notice with the text options was that some of the option buttons are obscured by the frame. Could you fix this so that all the buttons are legible?

Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed it so all of the buttons should now be visible. I'm going to address it further soon because if you narrow the window some options still get lost, but for most users all the buttons should now be visible.

I've updated the Hexographer software with a feature to orient the map in a "true columns" way (so the hexes form columns--the way it was before) or as "true rows." (If you have a better idea for how to name these two map orientations please let me know.)

There's an option on the initial Hexographer program window (the one that runs in the browser) to switch between these two map orientations. When maps are saved, this property is recorded so when you reload the map it will be set appropriately. You can also switch this property when you are viewing a map by going to the "Options" menu and choosing one of the "Hex Orientation" options. (But I wouldn't recommend it for maps that already have lines drawn. The change will cause those lines to not match up with your terrain.)

I've also added a "pan" button in the bottom left corner that allows a user to easily drag the map to move it and replaced a few of the text buttons with icons.

Also, previously I added a feature so hexes can be customized. The icon in a hex can be resized relative to the hex's size or the icon can even be turned off and the background color can be changed. Go to the "Options" menu and choose "Customize Hexes."

Here's the link since the old one is a couple of pages back: Hexographer

I've been making updates to Hexographer every couple of weeks since I last posted. You may want to check it out again. The most recent changes don't apply much to star maps, but here they are:
  • The random terrain generator has been significantly reworked so the resulting terrain is less random.
  • The random terrain generator process is explained by clicking "Help" once you've opened the custom random terrain settigns screen by clicking the "Custom Terrain" button on the start screen of the applet.
  • A number of small usability fixes have been made, such as some customization screens getting close, apply, and save buttons.

And the "Pro" version can now be ordered. For just $5 for a 1-year license of $25 for a lifetime license, the pro version allows you to:
  • Run off-line: The pro version is downloaded to your computer so you don't need to be connected to the internet.
  • Customize terrain and feature icons: Use any .png image for the terrain and feature icons. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Customize Hexes.") Both the pro and non-pro versions allow you to change the background color of each terrain type, the sizes of terrain or feature icons, or whether to display icons or not.
  • Expand an existing map: Add (or subtract) a number of hex rows or columns above, below, to the right or to the left of an existing map. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Expand/Shrink Number of Hexes.")
  • Add detailed notes to a hex: Any hex can now be described in detail with a freeform text field. Adding a note to a hex adds a small rectangular marker to the map. Clicking it will pop open the note for further editing or just to read it. (The note markers can be turned off using the map edit window's "Show/Hide" menu and selecting/deselecting the "Notes on Map" menu item.)

Pro version maps can be read and edited by the free version of Hexographer, but the extra features are not available for further editing. (However, custom icons added using the pro version will be displayed by the free version.)

A very nice program indeed, I just created a starmap for my Solar
Alliance setting that looks really good - Thank you. :D

Edit.:
Just recommended it on my German "home forum" Fundus Ludi, I hope
some people there will like it, too. :wink:

Back