Help out a Newbie to B5 ACTA

fluffy05 said:
Most players seem to be playing a 5 point Raid fleet (if I read the forums correctly)

I really liked the Warlock but it sure chews up the points at Raid level.

I was thinking of running with 2 Novas and maybe 2 Sag's (I want to get the minis anyway)

I think 5 Point Raid is the standard, as this is what is played at tournaments. However the higher up the PL scale you go, the longer the game generally lasts. Other factors, such as the scenario type can also alter the game length.

With Armageddon, the Earth Alliance fleet will be spread into 3 eras, Early, 3rd Age and Crusade and each will have slightly different fleet lists. Fleet boxes for each age are available in the B5 minatures section of the website.

fluffy05 said:
I ordered the "revised edition boxed set".

If I understand correctly it has the updates from SFOS.

Not quite right. The revised boxed set updated the original game to include rules from 3 suppliment books that were released. It provides the base rules for the game. SFoS includes some extra rules (including boarding actions, planetary invasions and fighter combat) as well as updating many of the ship designs. While SFoS is an incredably useful addition, it is by no means compulsory to playing the game.

Cap'n Silvereye said:
Not quite right. The revised boxed set updated the original game to include rules from 3 suppliment books that were released. It provides the base rules for the game. SFoS includes some extra rules (including boarding actions, planetary invasions and fighter combat) as well as updating many of the ship designs. While SFoS is an incredably useful addition, it is by no means compulsory to playing the game.

Bugger. Oh well more to buy after the boxed set :wink: - One big Rule book would be awesome

fluffy05 said:
Thanks for all those with helpful advice. I realy appreciate the friendly help I have received on this Forum.

OK so last night I made 2 small moons. I cut a ping pong ball in half filled each half with putty to add weight and placed plasticard ofer each half to create 2 semispheres.

I then painted each half roughly with PVA glue to give it a little more texture.

I am using 2 semi spheres to help with line of sight to make it more clear cut. I will post pictures soon. (I have to do something untill I get the game and my first models :D )

I've been building terrain for the games I'm running at Gaelcon next month, and I've been using a similar setup, only I've been using styrofoam balls rather than ping-pong balls. I coated one in white glue and then covered it in toilet paper, and it gave it a really nice texture. Once Ii'm done with the painting I'm going to mount them on cardboard templates to denote the gravity wells. I'll try and post some photos later.

fluffy05 said:
Bugger. Oh well more to buy after the boxed set :wink: - One big Rule book would be awesome

The box set you have bought has all the rules and information needed to play the game. SFoS is just a suppliment to it, and in no way essential to playing and enjoying the game. Play a few games out of the box, and then pick SFoS up if you fancy getting more into the game.

If you´re used to GW games, you´ll find the ACTA rules refreshingly simple to learn, without giving up any complexity (I actually find ACTA to be FAR more tactical than 40K for example, with only a fraction of the rules-mass).

Getting into ACTA is a great excuse to look at the B5 DVDs again; you´ll want that info eventually (and even if you don´t, it´s alsways good to watch B5).

There´s actually a place called "Toowoomba"? Cool! :D

MustEatBrains said:

Toowoomba is an Awesome place to live. Sort of a big Regional town with around 100,000 plus people but still has everything you want in a big town. The coast is only 2.5 hours away.

Travelling to Work takes around 9 minutes in Peak hour Traffic!

fluffy05 said:
MustEatBrains said:

Toowoomba is an Awesome place to live. Sort of a big Regional town with around 100,000 plus people but still has everything you want in a big town. The coast is only 2.5 hours away.

Travelling to Work takes around 9 minutes in Peak hour Traffic!

How long does it take to get your ACTA stuff delivered, though? :roll:

I asked for the ACTA Revised Boxed set last Friday and it will be at my LGS on this Friday (1 week). My LGS doesn't stock ACTA at all mostly GW stuff. Bunker Boi (on the forums) has just started stocking ACTA so I will be going through him ashe will be keeping regular stock and his prices are better than other stockist.

This means if it is in stock I can litterally get it within 2 business days. :D

bunkerboi said:
you´re a lucky guy, I hope you know that!

...and I'm a lucky seller to have customers like fluffy! Thanks mate :D

I'm a happy boy. Just put an order with Bunker Boi for an Omega Destroyer which I will receive in the mail this week. Ahh the start of another Army to drive my wife nuts :wink:

I'm a husband and father as well (2 kids) so getting out to go and play isn't that easy.....there is an online alternative? Cool.....

where, how, what....?? Maybe me and the fluffster can learn this thing together.

Fred

Reaverman said:
@ fluffy05

I'd suggest you not use the plastic stem, as they snap very easy on that sort of model. My Advice, would be to make your own metal stem, and lugs out of K&N brass parts (most LFGS, and model shops supply it)

Will do. I have learnt from my BFG minis about the same problem. Sometimes I still use the flying base but drill out the stem and use wire to strengthen it. I might make my own metal stem to save mucking around :D

Back