Helmets (Variant)

Hogrim

Mongoose
Here's how I handled helm/ets in 3e (suitably modified for Conan). . .

Helmet: +2 DV versus Threat Rolls

Helm: +4 DV versus Threat Rolls

Visored Helm: +2 / +4 DV versus Threat Rolls

-- This is in lieu of having them add to the armour rating of armour worn.

-- This means that it is worthwhile wearing a helm/et even if no armour is worn (a fairly common occurence).

-- So, as they protect the most vital portion of a targets body, they will make it less likey that a critical hit is scored--but no less likely for the target to be hit in general.

-- For simplicity, if the DV bonus makes the difference between taking a critical and not, you can assume that the helm/et is dented--either ruined completely, or you can reduce its DV bonus by 1 (perhaps by 2 vs a x3 strike, and by 3 vs a x4 strike--depends on how complicated you want to get).

They should also reduce subdual damage, so if you want to knock someone out easily, you'll have to first knock off his helm.

-B

Perhaps it should provide this DV bonus to the confirmation rather than the threat of the crit. And leave the DR rating, kinda an extra bonus.

Bailywolf said:
They should also reduce subdual damage, so if you want to knock someone out easily, you'll have to first knock off his helm.
Good point--I haven't thought about how to incorporate that into d20.

In my Basic D&D (that's "Basic" with a capital B ;) ) campaign, I also have helmets add directly to AC vs Punching.

So, versus unarmed strikes in Conan, maybe have the +2 /+4 add to both DV and Threat DV--or maybe DR and Threat DV.

Have to give it some thought.

Suggestions?

Anonymous said:
Perhaps it should provide this DV bonus to the confirmation rather than the threat of the crit.
That's what I meant by "versus Threat Rolls". ;)
And leave the DR rating, kinda an extra bonus.
That's certainly an option.

I think I'll go with just the mod to the Threat DV though.

BTW, as the rules stand now, I think the bonus to DR for helmets only applies if you are also wearing a suit of armour. If unarmoured, I don't think they confer any benefit. Gotta say, I'm not a fan of this.

Treating helmets as adding a bonus to the Threat DV helps keep the different forms of protection distinct--giving each its own unique flavor. . .

Armour: +DR

Shields: +DV

Helmets: +Threat DV

I kind of like that.

Currently I'm thinking of having helmets add to the Shield DV, since helmets & shields work well together. The DR bonus seems nonsensical to me.

Hogrim said:
Here's how I handled helm/ets in 3e (suitably modified for Conan). . .

Helmet: +2 DV versus Threat Rolls

Helm: +4 DV versus Threat Rolls

Visored Helm: +2 / +4 DV versus Threat Rolls

-- This is in lieu of having them add to the armour rating of armour worn.

-- This means that it is worthwhile wearing a helm/et even if no armour is worn (a fairly common occurence).

-- So, as they protect the most vital portion of a targets body, they will make it less likey that a critical hit is scored--but no less likely for the target to be hit in general.

-- For simplicity, if the DV bonus makes the difference between taking a critical and not, you can assume that the helm/et is dented--either ruined completely, or you can reduce its DV bonus by 1 (perhaps by 2 vs a x3 strike, and by 3 vs a x4 strike--depends on how complicated you want to get).

I like this...I like it alot! I'm gonna use this in my game.

Saxon said:
I like this...I like it alot! I'm gonna use this in my game.

Unholy Thread Necromancy! Four years! :D
Anyway, I hadn't seen this before. So how is it, anyone been using that in their games?

It doesn't look half bad so I think I might give it a try... but I'd first like to do the math: does it work in favour of the players or against them?

* Reduced crit chance means somewhat reduced likelihood of Massive Damage. If everyone wears helmets, this drags out combat, more blows are dealt, and since NPCs tend to outnumber PCs, this would work against the PCs.
* The GM determines who (of NPCs) is more or less susceptible to Crits. Sort of like, Goons: no helmet. Big Game: helmet.
* DR: normally (IME), helmets are worn to get the DR to an even number, to retain the best possible effectiveness in case of an Armour Piercing attack.

So which effect is more valuable? As I think about it, it's really just a minor difference whether you get deduct 2 or 3 points from an attack (e.g. Mail shirt with helmet, pierced). But getting a better chance to avoid crits can save you from a world of pain. So IMHO, the Threat-avoiding helmet is tons better than the DR-helmet.

It might also be a justification to make helmets a lot more expensive. Historically, in the Early Middle Ages, a helmet could cost as much as a good sword.

Back