Halflings in Runequest

Melkor

Mongoose
Hey folks,

I'm looking at trying to work out a Middle-Earth based scenario to playtest Runequest while waiting for the Companion and Glorantha supplements.

I'll probably limit the use of any magic to something that could be covered with Runes so as not to try and recreate a new magic system to simulate middle earth.

That said, how would you guy stat out halflings in your games ?

I don't feel that I am familiar enough with the system (or past versions of Runequest) to do them justice, so I would appreciate some input.

Thanks!

RQ3 had the following stats for halflings:

STR 2D6 (avg 7)
CON 2D6+12 (avg 19)
SIZ 2D3 (avg 4)
INT 2D6+6 (avg 13)
POW 2D6+3 (avg 10)
DEX 2D6+10 (avg 17)
APP 3D6 (avg 10-11)

Move 2
HP 12 (avg)

cheers,

Mark

I wrote up an Middle Earth Campign for RQ3 a few years back. Here are the pages I used for generating Hobbits. THey are RQ3, not MRQ, although MRQ character creation would pronbably make this easy to convert. I have stuff for elves, men and the rest too, if you are interested.

118fs776550_th.png

118fs776967_th.png

You can see the full page pics (I had them in the post but they were huge, so I linked them)at:
http://x5.freeshare.us/view/?118fs776550.png
http://x5.freeshare.us/view/?118fs776967.png

BTW, You might weant to checkout Decipher's LOTR game. If is a pretty good RPG, and at the very least provides good reference material for a Middle Earth setting. Ditto for ICE's Middle-Earth stuff.

atgxtg said:
BTW, You might weant to checkout Decipher's LOTR game. If is a pretty good RPG, and at the very least provides good reference material for a Middle Earth setting.

That is right. I have LotR from Decipher it uses the CODA engine, exactly like Decipher's Star Trek RPG. Both games are quite simple and fun to play.

Thanks for the info folks.

I have Decipher's LoTR RPG as well as Iron Crown's MERP game (in fact, I almost have a complete collection of all materials for the latter), but I was hoping to be able to harness MRQ for a test run because the gritty nature of the combat system seems like it will do quite well for Middle Earth.

Oh, and I sent you a PM atgxtg.

but I was hoping to be able to harness MRQ for a test run because the gritty nature of the combat system seems like it will do quite well for Middle Earth.

maybe you can morph the "gritty" RQ combat with the disgusting and overly descriptive MERP critical hits tables!

It's been way too long since I've turned anyone into a gelatinous pulp.

:D

ShawnG said:
but I was hoping to be able to harness MRQ for a test run because the gritty nature of the combat system seems like it will do quite well for Middle Earth.

maybe you can morph the "gritty" RQ combat with the disgusting and overly descriptive MERP critical hits tables!

It's been way too long since I've turned anyone into a gelatinous pulp.

:D

Wait until you see the critical hit charts in the companion!

I actually did my own GM screen for MERP with ALL the tables. Something like 8 panels, doublesided. Boy did it come in handy!

The RQ3 halfling is pretty superheroic.

On the classic scale (where the average of every characteristic is 10) I'd go with Dex and Con of 15, and a low SIZ and STR that would give sensible results (depending on the breaks in the damage bonus progression). 2d6+8 for the high stats, I guess that would mean rolling 3d6+8 and dropping the lowest die for MRQ.

Parhaps 2d4+5 for POW (7-13, average is 10)

High basic skills (40+) in things like stealth, farming and possibly cooking. Good with slings, bows and thrown weapons.

Back