greetings from a new SST owner

banjthulhu

Mongoose
i finally bought my sst figs. i opted for the box set, a plasma bug, and the invasion force. is there any step by step directions for putting a warrior bug together? cause i opend the base box looked at the bugs and closed it right up. any sort of help would be awesome

Welcome to the game and the forum.
Arachnids are tricky, especially the warriors.

I put the head together first, with the side mandible things.

Then put the legs on top of the liwer body parts, then the upper body ontop of that. It sounds complicated I know, but there should be construction notes with the starter set.

I use liquid plastic cement for ABS plastic, in my case Plastruct Plastic Weld.

I like to assemble multiple Warriors at a time, usually 10-20. I separate all the pieces from the sprue and sort them in piles. I glue 4 legs (usually but not always 1 short, 1 long, 2 medium) to the lower torso half and then add the top of that piece. I set the leg assemblies aside. Then I go back and glue on the top claws and then the mandible jaws. When both halves are firm I usually just press the main body to the lower leg torso without glue so I can pivot the model. There will be extra legs. They are useful for all kinds of things :D

What i like to do is lat out the top of the thorax(part the legs attack to) and then i lay the legs i want in place. then i take the other thorax half, dab some glue(I've used Zap-a-Gap and Hot Stuff, both work) then i toss the 2 halves together flip it over get the legs in place, and hold the thorax for a few seconds so that the legs are touching the ground forming the leg poses i want. both these types of glue form strong bonds, but take probably 10 seconds to actually set.

once that is done, i toss the rest of the bug together. I usually set up 4 lower bodies of warriors at a time and then run through them quickly. I can assemble an arachnid warrior ever 3 minutes or there abouts.

i have a question about the blister/blaster bugs. is there really that much of a difference? like once i build one is it stuck like that one forever or can i decide which one they are at the start of each game?

The only difference is the bottom jaw.
And considering price and quality of the miniatures (not one of the greatests kits out there...) I dont think anyone seriously expects you to double up on them :D
I fairly sure in practice most people only ever end up using the one kind to boot.

is there a trick to getting a tanker abdomen together? do the little legs have to go on in a certain way because i cant get the top to line up with the rest when the legs are in. yes i am that stupid

Woah your on a construction rampage! 8)

There were alot of other poeple who had troubles with the tanker bug, so dont worry it isnt you!
Only problem is, almost all of the posts about anything to do with this game have been lost in one of the worst automated pruning decisions ever taken by a piece of software.... So searching the forum for all the discusion that went on wont help.

There is a solution though (I just dont know what it is...) might be worth starting a new thread to maximise exposure.

yea all ive got left to put together is my warrior bugs (which look scary so im keeping them for last) and my rippler swarm. im trying to get them put together so that i have time to paint em before origins.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I like how you have put the bottom leaf of the plasma bug on the ground, this should make it more stable..... The other option is to fill the head with metal and glue, the model is rather tail heavy for some reason ;)

cordas said:
I like how you have put the bottom leaf of the plasma bug on the ground, this should make it more stable..... The other option is to fill the head with metal and glue, the model is rather tail heavy for some reason ;)

Yup, Mongoose has mentioned that the model can stand fine by using the bottom piece. As for me, I filled the head with ball bearings and magnets.

Ah, "Fresh meat for the grinder." Now where have I heard that quote from before? :wink: So appropriate. I think that MGP should find way to place that quote into a sticky for all new SST forum members. 8)

next real big question i have is: is there a minimum number of colors the minis have to be for tournament play?

side note: ripplers are fun to assemble

I don't think there is anything as backward as a minimum number of paints. I think they would just prefer that you have your mini's painted to the best of your ability and looking as good as you can do them. this ain't GW desperatly trying to flog you more paints.

Paint your model to whatver standard you like. If you use just the one colour and anyone gives out, say you mixed others to add shading. That way my riplers have around 30 colours on them, using only seven or eight different pots.

Back