Gallery Posts <Post Your Pics Here!>

M1ndr1d3rs said:
I agree.. Drybrushing works wonders on Early Years ships. Even the Omega looks good. It makes them look rugged and worn. Although blending would probably be more appropriate for newer ships like Warlocks and Marathons since you could give them a bright and clean finish with it. Just like ships that have just rolled out of the construction line.

Up to know I have preferred a very dark look, virtually black on my crusade era ships but must admit since I still have a lot more to paint considering going for a two tone look. Although not canon looks very good. Court Jesters ships come first to mind but there are others. need to experiment a bit.

As do I. I think I will attempt to combine a dark grey (Revell's Tank Grey) with some dark metallic colors, perhaps P3's Pig Iron. When the ships and paints arrive, of course.

BTW, the Hyperions are fully painted in base colors, but no wash or highlight yet. The Balvarins are closer, but still waiting on P3's Rhulic Gold to highlight the gold parts. I'm not confident enough to try NMM just yet.

M1ndr1d3rs said:
I'm not confident enough to try NMM just yet.

Only tried Non Metalic Metal painting once during my last figure painting days, a Rakham Kelt Drune............... now there were figures worth painting in more ways than one.

Worked out not bad, never tried the technique since I moved to gaming with CTA and focusing only on painting ships.

(Painting some Dredd figures at the moment tho, first figures for 5 years).

& btw .........Look forward to seeing your hyps & the balvarin on this thread ...sure they will be great.

Well, here goes: a small (but hopefully growing) fleet of EA ships.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Thanks for the kind words there.

I'm rather surprised that the Hypes look much better in the pictures than in person. It's rather the other way around with the Olympus, which I only washed and drybrushed..

You have done something which I thought was impossible - made a Battlewagon look good.

Admittedly it doesn't look as good as the Hyperion, but that's not your fault. The Hyperion is, to me at least, one of the coolest designs in the B5 universe. The Battlewagon... let's just be kind and say that it is not one of the coolest designs in the B5 universe. Besides, you've done the Hyperion full justice with the added details and a good paint job, especially the engine exhausts. Against that, not even the best paintwork in the world will save a Battlewagon. :)

The Olympus doesn't need much more than a wash and drybrush. It doesn't have the blue stripes of the Hyperion; it is basically just a grey brick. If you really want to add a little detail, the tips of the nose cones can be light brown or dark yellow, and there's a fine light blue line on the thick thing sticking out of the port side, although only one of your Olympuses appears to have that. Look at this for reference.

An interesting feature of that collection of EA ships is that it's valid for both Early Years and 3rd Age. Novas, Oracles, Explorers and Hermes could be added to this dual-age fleet.

Personally, I like the Battlewagon because it is absolutely, positively, butt UGLY! :lol:
Thanks for the Olympus reference. The section i decided to paint is the yellow patch on the ship's side. The cone tips have... Shall we say anomalous surface details.

Your reference is indeed excellent, Adrain H, for several EA ships.

"pinning" a nova at the moment and was playing around with Gropos pause button at the ready.

No its Mongoose thru & thru, bought a few in the last close down sale.
(Lets just say my to be painted pile remains not insignificant :lol:)

This one is destined to be a very special Nova, not the paintjob but the ship it represents, a bit of a "Lady", reknowned for hunting Dilgar.

I also ordered some Nova from IWM.. hope they're not so miscast as the previous Nova I had. They were rather off symmetry.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing yours painted :wink:

Oh yeah, contacted the post office earlier today.. The shipment from FRP will be arriving tomorrow.. :D

What a long 4 months it has been..

The Nova which I got from IWM is nicely cast. A bit of flash, but nothing worse than is normal for metal models. I did need to file the sides of the turrets down otherwise they wouldn't fit side by side. And the "tailplane" between the engine exhausts should really be two narrow plates, one between each vertical pair of exhausts, so that got filed as well. Beyond that, the usual collection of rods needed to be added. Details for painting included the red panels on the hull sides and the dark red and blue shading on the engines. The fighter bay is red, then I put a white spot on each side and went over the spots with fluorescent orange. I also printed out some decals.

Reference picture
Reference photo of Schwarzkopf - for some reason it has the bow letter "J" rather than "S".
My model

I thought I'd enjoy having my first post in my favorite thread, so here goes.

My small but growing WIP EA Early Years Fleet

img1704r.jpg

The only things I consider to be truly done in terms of painting are the Explorer and the two Olympuses, everything else still has niggling little bits that I need to fix before I call myself happy with them. In the background, you can see bits and pieces of my small Raider fleet.

My small bit of the Minbari box that I've managed to get painted up + Leshath and Torothas. Again, very work in progress (making the style bases I use can be a pain)
img1708l.jpg

I've got more to post soon, as I get decent pictures of them.

Wow. I really like the earthforce ships. The grey edging you put on the blue strips really makes them stand out. I may have to steal that for my Early Years fleet. :)

Nice work! I see you've already discovered the first rule of making EA ships look good, which is adding small rods to the bow section. And the paint job on the Explorer does look really good.

Interesting variety of stands, including one fighter base being used for a Tinashi. Bonus points for getting the Nials the right way round. :)

As for the hodgepodge of bases, the ones I normally do are like Star Ranger's Barrel Clasp stands. http://www.star-ranger.com/Workbench.htm I do it a little bit differently, in that I just use brass tubing, and barrel clasps that nest in the tubing. The way it usually works out, I end up either gluing myself to the brass, or with a little bit of CA in the threads of the clasps. As a consequence, I usually end up only doing one or two at a time, so I've got a bit of a shortage of proper bases, as you can tell. :p As it is, most of those funky looking bases are painting stands, rather than what I intend to have them sitting on.

Nice first posting of your work, BraveSirRobin.

Particularly like your take on a white Tethys. Looks very good in white.

Only ever seen one, maybe two, Explorers minis with a painted chequered pattern on the mid section, very well done.

Back