Future Supplements

I personally would like to see a big Book of Antagonists. Not just a Monster Manual but full of creatures, humans, organisations (cults and religions) and locations.

I'm with Arkobla - we need adventures, a well-written campaign length adventure would be ideal.

I bought into Conan early, but stopped getting books when it seemed Mongoose was only going to put out sourcebooks, not adventures or campaigns (BUT - I still pop over here from time to time to see what's going on - obviously). I'll be checking out that new PDF download and the Shadizar boxed set for sure.

yes, Slaine has an excellent campaign (4 96-pages books) while we barbarian fans only have 2 little .pdf adventures.
I WANT A CAMPAIGN! :evil:

I'm also a big fan of adventures/scenarios/modules, whatever you want to call them. Since I am a GM with a very busy family life, game prep time is often at a premium.

Published adventures are easy to use and adapt and, in the case of the two Conan scenarios, are just fun to read.

However, I don't think we'll be seeing as many published adventures for newer games, like we used to for D&D. The reason is simple economics.

Rule books like the core rules are used by everyone who plays the game.

Source books are used mostly by GMs and sometimes by players.

Class/Racial books are also used by GMs and players.

Adventures are used only by GMs, who often would rather players did not have a copy of the adventure they are running.

So by default, an adventure book will not be as profitable as one of the other types of books.

Darth Mikey said:
I'm also a big fan of adventures/scenarios/modules, whatever you want to call them. Since I am a GM with a very busy family life, game prep time is often at a premium.

Published adventures are easy to use and adapt and, in the case of the two Conan scenarios, are just fun to read.

However, I don't think we'll be seeing as many published adventures for newer games, like we used to for D&D. The reason is simple economics.

Rule books like the core rules are used by everyone who plays the game.

Source books are used mostly by GMs and sometimes by players.

Class/Racial books are also used by GMs and players.

Adventures are used only by GMs, who often would rather players did not have a copy of the adventure they are running.

So by default, an adventure book will not be as profitable as one of the other types of books.

Your judgement is true (not about Cthulhu cause I don't expect him to catch me :) ).
But to play an RPG, you need adventures to run and as I saw in the presentation of the members on this forum Conan players are older than the average gamers.
From this fact I guess many do not have as much time as they used to have to prepare adventures (I call a campaign several adventures linked together like the DragonLance series for AD&D, while a module is one adventure playable alone - which doesn't mean it can be included in a campaign). So They would appreciate scenario books.

I have absolutely nothing against sourcebooks because they are quite exceptional and full of contents, but I ask some diversity, say a ratio of 2 real adventures (32 to 64 pages) for 4 or 5 sourcebooks published.

If you have read the Hour of the Dragon (Conan the Conqueror) you would love to play such a campaign and understand what I mean. :wink:

scavitt13 said:
Will there be future support for the game beyond, "Tales of the Black Kingdom"?

Oops, there is indeed nothing on schedule for the next three months... :cry:

I agree with some postings here, in that We are desperately short of good scenario modules. There's a smattering of very good adventure hooks from very goon Conan GM's around this site ... but some more Official Adventures would be great.

Yes - Vincent's detailed material is excellent! and my Prime Sourcebook is always The Road of Kings. One of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made. The amount of compilation, cross checking and expansion was awesome, saving Me tons of compilation work throughout the REH novels (My Conan collection is mostly complete).

Please produce some more 'meaty' Scenarios/ Adventure Modules, with plenty of fleshed out NPC's.

I am rather facinated by the hard to reach locations such as the Northern Kingdoms (Nordheim etc) and Khitai, as well as the central Hyborian Kingdoms. The City Books are terrific, and Mongoose has produced some valuable additions so far. Try Tarantia or do a Poll on which city to 'do' next ... (Venarium?)

Some gamers dismiss Atlantian influences and Kull, but these could become a valuable source of old treasures, old tombs, caches and information for 'current' Thuria. I'd definately like to see some thought put into some good Treasure listings. I have been purchasing Core Set 3.5 books, just to scour through them looking to fill up 'missing holes'.

Putting all of the various Monsters into one easily accessable tome would be handy - organized by 'type', such as Demons, Gods, One-offs, Guardians, Outsiders, New Races, or whatever. Alternately a cross-referance by locale type or country.

Suggestions: Mammoths (Northern Turan/ Nordheim), Wild Boars, more Undead such as Skeletons (The Thing in the Tomb), Komodo Dragons (Khitai), Buffalo, Spectres/Wraiths/Ghosts. Ghosts were only 'touched upon' in the books. I think that just Silvered Weapons should be sufficent to "wound" Outsider type critters.

An NPC Character Compellation would be wonderfull _ since making up NPC's takes a lot of 'crafting time' when writing a scenario for My Players.

Just some ideas ..

René said:
scavitt13 said:
Will there be future support for the game beyond, "Tales of the Black Kingdom"?

Oops, there is indeed nothing on schedule for the next three months... :cry:

I think Mongoose is just waiting for the right moment to announce proper release dates, so they don't have to push them back and forth again. Anyway, there are confirmed (I think) rumours that we are going to get Stygia and Shem this year. On top of that, there are the remaining two class books, the campaign (Conan and the Shadow of the Sorcerer) plus the Hyborian Bestiary and Conan Collector's Box Set 1.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd love a map-pack supplement. You know - with great new maps and proper old ones (Shadizar and Messantia). A whole pack of eye-candy maps - that's the stuff :). Besides that, I think the current approach is okay - hardback nationbooks, softback class and "environment" books (can't find a word for Skelos, Isles and Companies :) ), city boxes and a bonus from time to time (pdfs, adventures, campaign). Keep them good and that's all I want.

I posted this awhile back on the "What should Mongoose publish next?" forum.

How about a book for the Conan RPG filled with one-shot adventures like the old "Restless Dead" book from WFRP? That was a great book that one could open up and use at anytime with a fully fleshed out one/two-night adventures. "The Restless Dead" (if I remember right - don't have my copy handy) even had optional rules and errata and extra items available in the back. Another book along the same lines with some awesome adventures was "Mansions of Madness" for Call of Cthulhu.

I realize there are some excellent boxed sets available now and in the future but a soft cover book filled with fully fleshed out one-shot adventures would sell like $1 beers at Hog Waller’s!

It didn't receive much support on that forum but I think it is a perfect blend of adventures and additional errata/rules - Green Ronin is re-releasing it for the new WFRP. More adventures are desperately needed and this type of book could cover numerous levels while adding rules and/or optional classes etc.

Hey guys

This is a big priority still! I've just started going through Hyboria's Fiercest and my eyes started rolling at all the new options.

Please can we have support for PC GEN, RPG Xplorer or whatever...

Thanks,

Ian

Back