Future Supplements

I just thought of something I'd like to see. A mix of the D&D 2e Forgotten Realms Atlas and the D&D 3e Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas. I love the topography of the Kalamar Atlas, but it lacks the city information that made the FR Atlas my favorite 2e product.

But the level of detail given to a Hyborian map is something I feel is personally essential for me to really get into the setting. A good map can transport me into a setting very quickly.

The maps in Jordan's Conan Chronicles (for example) are clumped together and don't quite fit the maps that Howard originally drew. It does something to stir my imagination (as Howard's maps were pretty crap--just hand drawn over a tracing of Europe), but I felt claustrophobic just looking at it.

I'd like to see one or more of the following supplements (in no particular order):

1. A Bestiary of some kind. Since there aren't tons of "ghosts and goblins" running around Conan's world, I thought a Bestiray might be rather thin. A great way to fill in the spaces would be to add an adventure hook or three with each creature entry.

2. A Guide to Hyborian Deities, Religions, and Cults.

3. A Guide to Secret Societies, Outlaw Brotherhoods, Sorcerous Enclaves, and Pirate Bands.....something like that.

4. Two or more campaign sourcebooks.

5. A steady supply of one-shot adventure modules.

Red Tulwar said:
I'd like to see one or more of the following supplements (in no particular order):

1. A Bestiary of some kind. Since there aren't tons of "ghosts and goblins" running around Conan's world, I thought a Bestiray might be rather thin. A great way to fill in the spaces would be to add an adventure hook or three with each creature entry.

I'll second this - but would also add that a great way to pad a bestiary out with useful material would be to include a large number of stats for sample NPCs (evil cultist, merchant prince, Pictish shaman, Bossonian archer, caravan guard, Aquilonian knight, mercenary, etc.), so that the GM has a large library of "stock" NPCs to draw from.

One of the major problems I have with GMing with d20 is that creating "full" NPCs is often a time consuming pain in the ass - and such a resource would be infinitely valuable to me as a GM.

I'd like to see self-contained adventure modules that can also be linked together to form a giant series of adventures that would advance characters all the way up to the highest level (which I'm assuming is 20th).

Red Tulwar said:

There's a number of creatures in the main rulebook - both natural and supernatural. The Scrolls of Skelos and the Road of Kings will both expand on them, as will Pirate Isles for the nautical threats.

Red Tulwar said:
2. A Guide to Hyborian Deities, Religions, and Cults.

These are covered in both the main rulebook and The Scrolls of Skelos but we might revisit religion and priesthoods in a dedicated future supplement.

Red Tulwar said:
3. A Guide to Secret Societies, Outlaw Brotherhoods, Sorcerous Enclaves, and Pirate Bands.....something like that.

Secret societies, Sorcerous enclaves etc. get covered in the Scrolls of Skelos and The Road of Kings. Pirate Bands feature in The Pirate Isles. Outlaw brotherhoods (and mercenary bands) will be in a future book.

Red Tulwar said:
4. Two or more campaign sourcebooks.

I should be able to accomodate you at least in part here...

Red Tulwar said:
5. A steady supply of one-shot adventure modules.

These are typically the lowest selling products in the industry but we'll see what we can do on the adventure front. One note though, every supplements will feature pages of adventure hooks and scenario ideas relevant to the topic of the supplement.

Outlaw said:
I just thought of something I'd like to see. A mix of the D&D 2e Forgotten Realms Atlas and the D&D 3e Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas. I love the topography of the Kalamar Atlas, but it lacks the city information that made the FR Atlas my favorite 2e product.

The Road of Kings is a 200 page gazeteer and will showcase some pretty in depth maps.

Cavalier said:
Perhaps a Shadizar boxed set

I can't promise a box set but...

Keep em coming.

Paul Tucker

Jason Durall said:
I'll second this - but would also add that a great way to pad a bestiary out with useful material would be to include a large number of stats for sample NPCs (evil cultist, merchant prince, Pictish shaman, Bossonian archer, caravan guard, Aquilonian knight, mercenary, etc.), so that the GM has a large library of "stock" NPCs to draw from.

One of the major problems I have with GMing with d20 is that creating "full" NPCs is often a time consuming pain in the ass - and such a resource would be infinitely valuable to me as a GM.

Seconded, Thirded and Forthed ... Npc book with generic and specific is a must.

the_gneech said:
  1. Lankhmar -- oops, did I say that?

That is Exactly what I was thinking! A City book similar to the old TSR Lankhmar book would be awesome! Come to think of it, I might dig out Lankhmar and steal a few ideas...

MongoosePaul said:
the_gneech: Electronic support would be dependant on someone coming to us with a proposal. The gazeteer has scenario hooks for each country but yes, a book of encounters/campaigns and scenarios is on my 'to do' list. We're also looking at potentially providing pdf adventure support.

Cool! I'll bet the team of PCGen would be happy to add supprto for Conan, and If not, it's open source, so a fan might be able to modify it!

PDF Adventure support would be Great! It would be really nice to have and intro adventure to get things rolling...

1. Gamemaster's screen.

2. Character sheets. I like the pdf character sheet, and would gladly buy a folder full of well printed character record sheets. Additionally, I would like to see a variety of forms, from npc and monsters rosters, to both printer friendly and fancy parchment. Adding a printer friendly character sheet would be a great help.

3. A campaign of adventures, interconnected but more-or-less playable as one shots. I would like to see a series of modules which foster a party from ragtag mercenaries to powerful lords.

4. As always: More setting material. Geography, maps, monsters, classes, etc.

I would like to see more detailed location sourcebooks. In specific: Shadizar, Arenjun, Kordava, the Baracha Isles - perhaps they could be made on the lines of the old "Lankmar: City of Thieves" supplement.

A character-generation program would be extremely handy, but I think I'll take a crack at that myself... :)

Adventures, adventures, adventures.

An NPC book - various enemies and allies, with plot-hooks - more detailed than what could presented in either the core book or the gazetteer.

slaughterj said:
I'd like to see a historical chronology of events, with a timeline of major occurences, based on the novels, including and particularly emphasizing during Conan's lifetime. This may or may not be part of the main book, but it is good to know who is in power in which country and when, who is at war with who when, etc. so that one can maintain story continuity.

I just wanted to tune back in and reiterate my desire for the above, and re-emphasize the importance of having such a chronology, so I can have the proper kings in power, countries at war, etc. so that there is story continuity. Is there something like this in the Conan book already, or planned for the Hyborian Gazeteer?

I'm working on finalising the timeline at the moment - it will be in The Road of Kings and will probably also be available as a pdf from the website.

More detailled location sourcebooks: Check.

Adventures: Check (do campaigns count?)

MongoosePaul said:
I'm working on finalising the timeline at the moment - it will be in The Road of Kings and will probably also be available as a pdf from the website.

I thank you two times for this (since I posted wanting it twice) ;)

blacksagelobo said:
The problem with timelines is that there are many different ones.

I hope you use Dale Rippke's.
I have to seconded that request. For anyone who has not seen it, you can read it at;
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Conancron.html

IMO, this is the best timeline for Conan.

Mythos said:
I have to seconded that request. For anyone who has not seen it, you can read it at;

I am very fond of his timeline. It is the timeline I would use should it ever be important for my games, but as I intend to set all my games AFTER Conan becomes king, I doubt it much matters. Regardless of which timeline is published, nothing stops an individual GM from using whatever timeline one wants.

Mythos said:

I concure, though I don't agree with all of Dale Rippke's conclusions.

Mythos said:
blacksagelobo said:
The problem with timelines is that there are many different ones.

I hope you use Dale Rippke's.

Regardless of the order of the timeline, I would like to see something like this: http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/timeline.htm

It gives approximate ages (which gives me a timeline), gives info on Conan's location (for those who care), and ideally would include info on major world "players" mentioned, so you'd know who was running a given country at a given time, if they were slain, etc.

( My first post here, so... ummm... hi :D )

1. Campaigns. This is what many other RPGs lack. A good, challenging ( both in terms of wits and swordplay :) ) campaign is IMO a must.

2. City guides & detailed info on certain areas not covered in the Road of Kings. I think it is a good idea to make supplements containing a campaign AS WELL AS info about the places it uses as a backgound. Campaign + guide :)

And some things I didn't like in D&D supplements ( and would like you guys to avoid in Conan books ):

1. New spells and such. I guess Scrolls of Skelos is quite enough. New spells make the game much more complex and demanding. It is, for example, almost impossible to make a decent investigation-based adventure with all those magi raising the dead and asking them: "Who is the killer?" :D. Considering 100+ spells in every plot is frustrating.

2. Prestige classes - too much of these in D&D IMHO. It's pretty easy to make a new prestige class, but it's hard to make it balanced and worth consideration. D&D Classbooks are full of this crap.

Back