From Nordheim To Hyperborea encounters

tagnetti

Mongoose
Hello all, After being forced into running a game the other night after my pit fighting scenario, I came up with something on the fly, basically a Scholar that is very important to the Nordheim (for undisclosed reasons) has been captured and taken towards Hyperboria, (specifically Haloga) So I mentioned that Man Apes were responsible, Problem one apparently Man Apes only reside east of Zamora between the mountains and the desert, which isn't too bad as they are headed that way. The other is a Man Ape would kill them with one successful grapple, I looked at the HP and felt good but after looking at the damage I realized that encounter will require a delay.

SO I was wondering does anyone know off the top of their heads what kinds of animals, creatures in addition to the patrons that would normally be encountered during a TRek from Nordheim to Hyperborea and if you know anything about Haloga that would be a great help as well.

Of course I am looking into this too, but I thought I'd ask the experts :wink:

Well, Hyperboreans are well known as both xenophobic and slave-holders, so it wouldn't be amiss if the locals started trying to capture your PC's and sell them into slavery. It happened to Conan, after all ;)

Hmm, I have a Marvel comic with white-furred man-apes living in the Nordheim mts, I'd think you could use them if you liked. Maybe make them a bit weaker than in the book, with reduced damage - say they're a smaller, inferior breed.

Thanks that is a good idea, I'll just make them inferior (perhaps cast out) Into the cold and not quite as powerful. I like the slave idea as well.

OK, Snow-Man-Ape. Good idea, I found a nice 3DS MAx image and made some modifications in PS so he looks cold changed colors ,added breath etc. I am into the visual.

I think I'll shoot for halfing the Man -Ape's stats, when I do I'll post if anyone cares for it. I think what I'll do is make them more intelligent, and less brawn. Perhaps they trained under some Corinthian and Zamorian scholars and may even speak a language or two.

Perhaps they tried to rule the Man-APes but their intelligence could not overcome the brute strength of the Man-Ape in it's normal brutal form.

Just an idea and I appreciate giving me the thought. ANyway here is the pic I edited.

Warrior_Man-Ape.jpg

Man-Apes in Nordheim (or other cold climes) could be like the Abominable Snowman, something I'm sure Howard would have incorporated if he'd lived long enough. :twisted:

There were also large gorilla-lilla-lillas on some islands in the Vilayet Sea, but they were larger and stronger than the man-apes. Also, the hill ape from "The Flame Knife" is another simian opponent, and IIRC they were from a cold climate, so they might work well.

Cool stuff Tagnetti! In the Marvel comic, the white snow-apes had discovered a subterranean pre-human(?) city in the northern wastes and living in ease there had advanced to a decadent culture (missing out on the civilised stage I guess!), raiding human settlements for slaves. Made soft by this easy life, they planned to conquer the surface world but made the mistake of capturing a young Conan - using a human Aesir slavegirl as their lure - and tok him back for work & breeding, only to have him lead a human slave revolt that toppled their rule of the underground city.

tagnetti said:
SO I was wondering does anyone know off the top of their heads what kinds of animals, creatures in addition to the patrons that would normally be encountered during a TRek from Nordheim to Hyperborea and if you know anything about Haloga that would be a great help as well.

Mammoths, mastadons, beastmen (from Marvel's Conan the Barbarian #2), Ice Worms, Frost Giants, mountain men (from de Camp and Carter's Lair of the Ice Worm), Virunians (also from Lair of the Ice Worm)... also there will be natural hazards, such as ice bridges, thin ice, lakes of ice, avalanches, etc.

Thanks guys, great help. I am running the game tomorrow night and all of this will surely help. Anyone know anything about that Halgola on the map. It is not mentioned in the books Gazetter at all.

Back