Free Epic Campaign - The Pirates of Drinax

Already delivered by Gareth, just sitting on my desk waiting for a few quiet moments! Should be later this month, early next!

msprange said:
Already delivered by Gareth, just sitting on my desk waiting for a few quiet moments! Should be later this month, early next!

You need a few more quiet moments in your life then! :D

Lemming23 said:
You need a few more quiet moments in your life then! :D

Well, beats the alternative :)

I have been meaning (for a few years now!) to do a Planet Mongoose article on one of my average days, to sort of throw a spotlight on the working day of a games company.

Never seem to have time to do that :)

msprange said:
I have been meaning (for a few years now!) to do a Planet Mongoose article on one of my average days, to sort of throw a spotlight on the working day of a games company.

You just need to recruit your friendly neighbourhood psion to do a little time manipulation then.

AndrewW said:
msprange said:
You just need to recruit your friendly neighbourhood psion to do a little time manipulation then.

Nonsense just be sure to knock on any remaining 50's styled police boxes and ask the gentleman within to lend a hand!

The real question is will be Fourth?

He's done it again - awsome stuff. I cannot wait to play this.

Hail Hanrahan, supreme ruler of the Mongoose Traveller universe!

Quick update, the second adventure is the very next thing in my 'folder of Traveller stuff to be edited!'

Desperately trying to find some time to sit down and edit it. Unfortujnately, a whole bunch of you have just ordered the Campaign Guide and the Vehicle Handbook, so I have had to dive in to help with mail orders!

msprange said:
Desperately trying to find some time to sit down and edit it. Unfortujnately, a whole bunch of you have just ordered the Campaign Guide and the Vehicle Handbook, so I have had to dive in to help with mail orders!

That cos a lot of us have just been paid! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing my copies of the above books!

Egil

All UK/European/ROW Vehicle Handbooks and Campaign Guides are now out of the door, I believe the US-side is almost complete as well!

msprange said:
jonathon10 said:
What do I need to play The Pirates of Drinax?

The core rulebook and Alien Module1: Aslan are just about all that are necessary!

Arrrrggggg.

I looked, saw an MSPRANGE post in this topic and was all excited about the next part being ready :roll: :wink:

Nice stuff so far.

I’m totally confused by the numbers given though.

A Planet size 5 was mentioned elsewhere and a 4g ship.
d (planet) = 8.000km
100d = 800.000km
Meaning, on arrival in the system one must travel 400.000km twice, once at full throttle and then at full break. Naturally that assumes a very accurate jump exactly at the 100d point.
My memories of physics come up with

t = root (2*s/a)

t = time
s = distance [m]
a = acceleration [m/s²]

And that is a lot more than that number listed in that table. The table lists 2.5h, whereas the above calculates to 7.86h

Did my mere knowledge of basic physics fail me completely or are the numbers indeed wrong ?

Furthermore, I must admit that I was utterly startled by the differentiation between arrival times and departure times to that ever so important d100.

I have always assumed that you need to be at zero velocity before engaging the jump drives. Thus, regardless of your direction of flight, you would need to turn around your ship at half point.
I suppose that has been discussed before, but I am anything but a Traveller expert and so I would kindly raise the question again.

Is it possible to jump at non-zero velocity ?

And if that is the case: what is the velocity of a ship after a jump ?

Is it the same as the one you left the previous planet with ? Or does engaging the jump drives immediately knock you down to zero velocity ?
A Planet size 5 was mentioned elsewhere and a 4g ship. At 100d (after about 5.56h) it would have a velocity of 80.000m/s.
And of course, it would take 5.56h to break down to zero velocity.
Which in turn would require an incoming ship arriving at a smaller planet than the one it jumped from to actually arrive way outside the 100d of the destination planet… or take a non-direct route at least. So, in all the assumptions about actually positions of ships, one would need to consider the departure planet of the potential victim.

Well ,apart from all that… can’t wait for the second episode !

Try running the numbers again assuming that the outbound trip is all acceleration and the ship jumps out with its velocity as soon as it crosses the limit, For the inbound calculate the time to decelerate relative to the world based on which ever is the larger of the world they jumped from or the arrival world.

Not sure what the rules say as not near a book but I don't play that you need zero velocity to jump. Though you probably need to set a maximum safe speed based on Hull strength/Armour level as going above 10-15% light leads to Jump suicide runs at huge velocity jumping out heading for a world target. Keeps the defence forces on their toes :lol:

Inbound.
Half of distance continuously accelerating towards the planet.
Then turn around 180°
Second half of distance continuously breaking towards the planet.

For Planet Size 5 and a 4g ship
I.e. 400.000km accelerating PLUS 400.000km breaking.
Equals 28.284,27 seconds or 7:51:24, i.e. 7.86h (rounded up).

Outbound
Full distance continuously accelerating towards the 100d mark

For Planet Size 5 and a 4g ship
I.e. 800.000km accelerating.
Equals 20.000 seconds or 5:33:20, i.e. 5.56h (again rounded up).

Unless MS Excel is wrong that’s the way it is.
Unless my physics is wrong.

Thing is, whoever made that table seems to have done the simple mistake of not considering the correct dimensions.
First the factor of 1.000 was missed to calculate from km to m (skipped totally)
Then the factor of 1/3.600 was missed to calculate from s to h (used 1/360 instead)
The Errata of CORE has it right, btw. Based on the turn-around scenario, since it deals with interplanetary travel times.

So, if you jump in at 80km/s, by the time your sensor array picks up data and by the time you have interpreted that data, you are long gone from your entry point (time and distance).
Jumping towards a larger planet is no problem at all. However jumping towards a smaller planet requires you to either enter far beyond 100d of the destination or do a curve rather than a direct route.

I guess that’s why I always subconsciously “ruled” that jumps need to have zero velocity to begin with.
:roll:

You can jump at any speed, several Challenge articiles have jumps at very high speeds. You keep the speed and direction when you arrive at the next system.

Merchant ships generally slow down. They have rubbish sensors, smaller drives and less well trained crew. Slower speed means less chance of them slamming into something. Also less time to slow and make a course correction and for a merchant time is money

Warships with better drives, computers / sensors and crews tend to jump at higher real speed. They would only go flat out in an emergency, but they wopuld keep more of their velocity for routine jumps.

Back