Forth preview in S&P 47

Xorrandor

Mongoose
So, we've had lots of commentary on That Other Article, but there was some more Forth preview stuff as well. Anyone interested in discussion?

It is somewhat disappointing to me that we're still basically seeing fluff. But there are indications that fighting vehicles will be highly customizable. Given that many of these customizations seem to be internal, I wonder if they will show up on the models, or just be purchased enhancements on the army list.

Also, we learn that Fenos are actually piloted, which contradicted my assumption that they were robotic drones attached to a piloted command unit. Possibly a little more sane interpretation, since the Forth were starting to get thin on the battlefield if they were only in the command units. But hopefully the robotic drone concept will get used at some point; it fits in too well with the rest of the genre to languish like that.

I actually kind of like what I've seen of the Forth so far. (Yes, even the illustration; not sure what everyone hates about that so much. It's a picture, that's all.) It's unfortunate that I can't start playing them yet, although maybe I could break out my old Mechwarrior pieces and give them a go as proxies?

Yes, but we have only seen a first glimpse of what is to come. Who knows?

The small spidery ones might be drones that you can purchase as an "upgrade" to a piloted suit up to a given number. Could be very possible and would fit that concept you had in mind, aye?

In a way, I like the internal upgrades abit, and by the sound of it some modules are indeed very external. (communications device / extended shield generator etc)

Only thing I disliked was the snake-y tail of the actual Forth, had envisioned them as halfling versions of "greys", with a blue skin... Oh, well...

Sikil said:
The small spidery ones might be drones that you can purchase as an "upgrade" to a piloted suit up to a given number. Could be very possible and would fit that concept you had in mind, aye?

Oh, I missed these. That does certainly sound promising. Got a link to a picture?

Sikil said:
In a way, I like the internal upgrades abit, and by the sound of it some modules are indeed very external. (communications device / extended shield generator etc)

Might be external, might not. Improved communications doesn't have to mean an extended whip antenna. BFE tank command units aren't marked by such, after all. And I'll have some idea what an extended shield generator looks like after I figure out what a normal shield generator looks like :).

But yeah, I was thinking of external upgrades consisting of different weapon loadouts; no reason some of the other options couldn't be the same. Hopefully one of these production difficulties is figuring out how to make quality interchangeable parts to model this nicely. AT-43 does this to some extent, so it is demonstrably possible. Maybe Mongoose should just be going for the direct ops approach, and snipe production engineers directly from Rackham :). That's how it worked in Singapore in a lot of cases, and I don't see that aspect changing much in China...

AT-43 has optional weapons on the walkers etc.. as well as alternate heads on infantry.
So if you buy them infra-red goggles, you swap the models head.
WYSIWYG in the truest form

JoseDominguez said:
WYSIWYG in the truest form

If you want WYSIWYG in the truest form, try Angelic Layer :).

But yeah, that's what I was talking about with AT-43. Presumably not all options are shown by such piece swaps, though? I don't see the "Jump Ball Player" skill requiring a footgear replacement with little Nike swishes on them...

I always loved games with loads of optional skills etc... but recently we've been playing systems with less of that. I've started enjoying games more, less chance of someone getting blindsided by a combination of skills or powers not shown on a model, not that the ones in SST were ever gamebreaking, but you know the kind of game I mean.

JoseDominguez said:
I always loved games with loads of optional skills etc... but recently we've been playing systems with less of that. I've started enjoying games more, less chance of someone getting blindsided by a combination of skills or powers not shown on a model, not that the ones in SST were ever gamebreaking, but you know the kind of game I mean.

Tic-Tac-Toe?

:p

(j/k)

FORTH3.jpg

They're mechanical Warrior Bugs. That's what I like about them. I wish these were done up as unpainted plastic kits. I'd have lots of fun making conversions.

Out of the three models shown there are only two I realy like: the fenir and the spider thingy (reminds me of ZOIDS and I liked that a lot)

The third one (Fenos I think, smaller walker of both) needs another paint scheme to make them mingle better with the other walking machines.
More glyphs and things like that.

Other than that I still like the Forth and hope to see that 4 legged Tanker wannabe produced also.

s

Oh man, a few more legs and that Forth spider-thingey really looks like what I imagine Heinlein originally envisioned (maybe a bit smaller though).

I don't see the "Jump Ball Player" skill requiring a footgear replacement with little Nike swishes on them...

Aw man, now I'm just gonna have to do that... :D

Back