for those in the know

Captain David the Denied said:
If the bases are touching and therefore can't be any closer, but stem to stem the firer is out of range, a gentleman would allow it to fire anyway.
Says the pirate... :wink:

Wulf

I wasn't hoping for a size debate, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm more into the models, don't really know about the game cuz I wanted to try something new, and I really liked the series. I enjoyed the small size of the models, and in the pictures they all seemed ridiculously large, except for maybe the WS gunship and I believe the nemesis. I will probably only buy the WS gunship because of it. I think if you have models that are one size, and u want to make bigger models you should do it bigger, but in a proportional size to the bigger ships that are already there. It was just wishful thinking on my part that the moulds might have changed because people were not happy with the size.

You might want to take a look here, if you have not been reading it, as close ups of the Minabri and Narn Armageddon ships have been added to the thread. The bases appear to be the about 2" diameter ones, so you may get some idea of scale from them.

There is a cabinet shot of all new ships somewhere as well as general discussion here.

Thanks, I have seen those pictures. I have seen the one with the brivioki against the primus. They look huge in comparison with even the bigger ships. From the pictures I've seen only the afforemention ships seem to fit in. I don't want to be rude at all, but that's my opinion. Some people think that they're not, I do, that's why I was hoping delays would bring about smaller ships.

by using brass rod on the bases you can make some bases considerably taller than others. This helps overlap.

Chern

We have generally had two answers to the base/model collision problem.

The first is that we stack dice under ships that need to have their nose extend over another model. As long as the base doesn't overlap we are fine with this and it provides an elegant solution to the issue of the oversized models like the victory.

For the double based ships we have in the past allowed either stand to be targeted. Yes this doubles the size of the ships but it also allows for use of shorter range guns more effectively front back etc. Not as elegant but sometimes has been useful for really big ships and we had a large number of double based ships from old B5Wars. If we can get to the base we just use the front post for most things.

Ripple

Chernobyl said:
by using brass rod on the bases you can make some bases considerably taller than others. This helps overlap.

Chern

But still you´re not allow to overlap your ships, even if you´re physically able to do so...

Maybe there´s really a maximum size at which casting metal becomes physically impossible - on the other hand, I´ve grown quite fond of the Neroon, and would want at least the design to survive, but preferably somewhere below the last listed price and size... which could create quite a stir considering the preorders!

LBH

For turns and movement we use the forward base. We just have used the back base for weapons targeting. I do not understand how there would be a need for this to be one point as using the closer point is just as clear and unambiguous.

I cannot imagine that the Brivioki is intentionally immune to ships firing 3" inches guns in its aft quater just because the second base is in the way. Not having the figure I have to guess, but it might even be immune to 5" guns when the attackers base is counted in too.

Ripple

Ripple said:
LBH

For turns and movement we use the forward base. We just have used the back base for weapons targeting. I do not understand how there would be a need for this to be one point as using the closer point is just as clear and unambiguous.

Because if you piovot on one point but measure weapons and targeting, than a ship that turns on the spot would could move into or out of range of another ship's weapons without actually having moved.

All sorts of inconsistency could occur.

LBH

This is one of the reasons why ACTA needs specific basing conventions and they need to enforce them in tournaments.

Dave

Well the one convention they do have is that all measurements/turns are measured from one (and the same) point.

And that is enforced

LBH

Back