Flow Chart & Black Page/White Text

vladthemad

Mongoose
The first thing I'd like to note after a first browse, at least from my personal perspective, is that the character creation flowchart is very busy. A flow chart aught to be simple to follow, as it's designed to simplify things. I like the fact that it includes page numbers, but because of the color scheme and the choice of layout, I doubt I'd use it. I'd suggest making it a standard flow chart with page references, and leave out all the flare.

Also, from a customer standpoint, I'd recommend avoiding dark backgrounds with light text as I'm seeing in the character creation section and the flowchart, as well as scattered throughout the book. I'm seeing that more and more in rpg books over the years. In my experience, with the excessive amount of use and abuse a lot of RPG manuals receive, dark pages like this transfer over to the facing pages. It's also probably cheaper to print!

+1

The flowchart is confused between being a piece of information and a piece of art. Considering what it's intended purpose is, I'd suggest removing all art aspects.

I agree with the above comments.

I'd like to add my dislike of the 'Creating a Traveller' walkthrough flow chart. A flow chart should aid and simplify a process. For some reason the colours just irritate and the design 'flourishes' just distract and get in the way. Font choice just looks odd.

Somehow it doesn't seem as bad in the printer friendly black & white version - but I'd much prefer to see a simplified design there as well.

Just one opinion.

Jason

A simple Visio design will do, like my Traveller Combat Flowchart that's been out in the wild for a few years.

I agree on the point about not liking the dark background on the flowchart.

Also, the symbols on the chart are non-intuitive and hard to read. I recognize the desire to make it futuristic-looking, but clarity should be a big factor, too.

Stainless said:
A simple Visio design will do, like my Traveller Combat Flowchart that's been out in the wild for a few years.

And I would like to thank you for making that flow chart! It's very helpful!!

I am less bothered by the black background as I am by the overall layout of the chart. It felt convoluted rather than flowing and simple.

DickNervous said:
Stainless said:

Thank you. I'll see if I can adjust it for this new version. Keep watching this space.

Stainless said:
DickNervous said:
Stainless said:

Thank you. I'll see if I can adjust it for this new version. Keep watching this space.

Maybe you could create a new one for character creation and submit it as a replacement and get your name in the credits? Hint hint!

I like the concept of having a flowchart, but this one was just too busy and a little hard to follow. I also found that I had times that jumped between steps with no connecting lines or reference in the text to the new flowchart step (ex. an event roll of 11 in Pre-Career Education sent me into the draft). Not that it was hard to figure out what to do, just made the flowchart less useful.

Cugel said:
Agree: it's too busy, I quickly ignored it after a half-dozen characters created.
It was so bad I was avoiding it. However today there was a discussion and I thought I'd see if the flow chart would help clarify the rules. However, I found errors in the chart while looking for the part that covered what I wanted. At this point, I will go back to ignoring it as both hard to view and not matching the rules.

In regards to black or dark backgrounds, here and on other pages like the careers, I'd think it would be a printing issue too, needing a great deal of inc to cover a page.

I have to say after skimming through the rulebook the flowchart was the only thing that I really didn't like. The fact that it was spread over two pages didn't help.

Also, do you think it would be useful to actually create a character as you explain how it's done? I remember FASA Trek did that and it I found it helpful. Or maybe generate an example character at the end?

bbmike said:
Also, do you think it would be useful to actually create a character as you explain how it's done? I remember FASA Trek did that and it I found it helpful. Or maybe generate an example character at the end?

Something like the sample ship design done in High Guard? (current Mongoose one).

AndrewW said:
bbmike said:

Something like the sample ship design done in High Guard? (current Mongoose one).

I think they did it in the old core rule book too...it was wrong in many places mind you, but hey at least they tried! ;) We just need one that actually fits the rules...which means it shouldn't be added until after all the rules are finalized.

vladthemad said:
I think they did it in the old core rule book too...it was wrong in many places mind you, but hey at least they tried! ;) We just need one that actually fits the rules...which means it shouldn't be added until after all the rules are finalized.

Yes, this problem plagues this and nearly all RPG books.
All examples need a good re-check and double re-check after the rules are finalized.

Hi guys,

I would like to run with the flowchart for a bit longer before considering scrapping it. We can certainly make it less busy - however, I would like to hear about any actual errors in it...

Back