Final Victory - Official CTA Tournament - May 5th

Alexb83 said:
If non-ancients get their criticals wiped off between games, can ancients get a free damage repair roll for any damaged ships before they enter the next round? :)
I think we will see a lot of ancients running for cover or keeping out of range in the first few turns of the 2nd and subsequent battles. They don't need an extra freebie!

that and the fact ancients dont have crew to worry about like the rest of us, and theres been no answer on replacing that.

lastbesthope said:
katadder said:
one other question - we can use xp to get damage back, but how do you get crew back? I know ISA fleets will need their crews back more than anyone.

Yeah, how do we get replacement crew?
I would guess that anything you can spend XP to buy, can be bought as normal. But since crew can only be bought with RR's, and you don't get RR's in this tournament, you can't get crew back.

Just my guess :)

That might make ancients very attractive, but remember 2 of the 4 battles will be at Skirmish level... for Shadows that means 2 Scouts and some fighters, and for Vorlons it means 2 Transports and some fighters or one Destroyer and fighters. Very limiting, and half the tournament points rest on those 2 games!

Burger said:
I would guess that anything you can spend XP to buy, can be bought as normal. But since crew can only be bought with RR's, and you don't get RR's in this tournament, you can't get crew back.

Just my guess :)

Pretty much :)

Players may find they have to accept a lower level of victory (or even minor defeat) to stay in with a chance in the later battles. They will also have to decide whether it is better to repair a ship, or go for a spiffy Refit or Other Duty, either of which could have a powerful effect on a later game.

If nothing else, it will be quite interesting to see how this tournament goes - should be a fitting tribute to the outgoing edition :)

Yes, I may be looking at losing a few points for sportsmanship by withdrawing my precious transports early in the first 2 games :) Or playing ring around the terrain feature trying to dodge fire :)

The 5 skirmish games are a real limiting factor for the first ones :S

The latter two games will be great fun, though.

Alexb83 said:
Yes, I may be looking at losing a few points for sportsmanship by withdrawing my precious transports early in the first 2 games :) Or playing ring around the terrain feature trying to dodge fire :)

Weight that against the first battles are worth just as many tournament points as the later ones.

It should be quite interesting seeing what tactics players come up with for this one!

Alexb83 said:
Yes, I may be looking at losing a few points for sportsmanship by withdrawing my precious transports early in the first 2 games :)
I don't see why you should lose sportsmanship for playing sensibly and tactically. Sportsmanship should only be lost if you swear at your opponent or whine and moan and constantly argue about rules (if you're wrong, of course... arguing if you're correct is fine!)

Hash's sportsmanship points system was the best I've seen. Both players give a score, and then they both get points equal to the average of the two. So bad players will not give good players a 0 to gain an advantage, and good players will not be afraid of giving 0 to a bad player.

Burger said:
I don't see why you should lose sportsmanship for playing sensibly and tactically. Sportsmanship should only be lost if you swear at your opponent or whine and moan and constantly argue about rules (if you're wrong, of course... arguing if you're correct is fine!)

Leaping up onto the table and gyrating your hips in your opponent's face when you destroy a ship can also be seen as poor form. . .

msprange said:
Burger said:

Leaping up onto the table and gyrating your hips in your opponent's face when you destroy a ship can also be seen as poor form. . .
I hope a Brivoki with an MP3 player and pair of mini speakers built into it, that plays "We Will Rock You" whenever it kills something, is OK!

I'm thinking of recording some sort of pathetic moan or squeal sound effect onto my phone for playback when the transports inevitably die... the vampire librarian from Blade is a likely candidate.

I think tactics go out the window when you've only got sloooow hull 5, raid level ships with one arc 12 inch range weapons (or fireworks... I mean fighters), and you're up against the inevitable Narn/Centauri/Whoever skirmish level gangbang squads.

Sort of resigned myself to losing the first 2 games, or having to withdraw for minimal losses. Will have to see what I end up against on the day. If it's Darkners/Prefects and Ka'tanks, It'll be the nonchalant shuffle off the nearest board edge.

Alexb83 said:
Sort of resigned myself to losing the first 2 games, or having to withdraw for minimal losses. Will have to see what I end up against on the day. If it's Darkners/Prefects and Ka'tanks, It'll be the nonchalant shuffle off the nearest board edge.
At least try to cripple a few, so that they'll lose their next battle. You can regen, they can't if they are crippled ;)

I'll be struggling to try and cripple any of those guys with 8AD of AP beams (whilst in turn not getting blatted off the board in a few rounds of shooting)... but hey, I'll give it a go.

Hmmm, no crew replacements, I may reconsider my ISA fleet choice.

Or maybe not, just go fangs out in the first 3 games when I have 'virgin' ships.

LBH

Quick question re: the Assasination bout - the wording is like this...

"This is a 5 point Raid level fight. However, to this you must also add the highest Priority Level ship from your main fleet roster."

Does this mean:

a) The highest PL ship in your main fleet roster must be used to make up a PART of the 5 point Raid level selection.

OR

b) The highest PL ship in your main fleet roster is included, in ADDITION, to your 5 point Raid selection.

If the answer is, as I suspect, "a" - what happens if you have a ship that cannot be fielded with a 5pt Raid Fleet (i.e. an Armageddon level vessel)? Is this excluded?

Back