Fate points and "left for dead"

Of chracters and stories, I have an opinion much like Tolkien did- that the story keeps going though the individuals involved may fall in and out of it. However it should be noted that those who characters die in my campaign don't start a character at first level but at the same level of the least experienced PC in the party. This way they lose something when they die yet aren't reduced to a mere spectator in the action for the most part. Most times they use what they learned in their last 'incarnation' to make the next one better. Sort of a gaming Buddhism, I guess. 8)

Yes, I see that. However, to me, as diluting character and favoring structure and mechanics. They learn to make a better optimised character sheet that can get them through the adventure a little bit further, but with such a fatalisting game, there can't be any real emphasis on personalityies. It's not about level in my mind so much as how interesting the character is to play or watch. True role playing Budhism would result in unworthy characters coming back as grasshoppers or something. As you seem to do it, you are granting a better option thatn FPs because they players know that if their character dies, all they need to is have some d6 standing by to roll up another.

They are, in essence, immortal.

Sutek said:
Yes, I see that. However, to me, as diluting character and favoring structure and mechanics. They learn to make a better optimised character sheet that can get them through the adventure a little bit further, but with such a fatalisting game, there can't be any real emphasis on personalityies.

Actually- no. They usually like the idea of trying something new. I 've seen a former Barbarian play a Scholar, A Bandit create a Noble and I just know that once Vincent's Temptress is available someone is going to want to try it. The game isn't 'fatalizing'- I'm not going out of my way to kill players. It's just that if the players do dumb things- like attack an enemy leader and her bodyguards alone- they are't going to live to tell about it by using FPs.

It's not about level in my mind so much as how interesting the character is to play or watch.

It's the players that make the game interesting, not the characters. The characters are a set of numbers and words. The player give it soul- or fails to.

True role playing Budhism would result in unworthy characters coming back as grasshoppers or something.

Methinks you are taking this too literally. In truth all characters get reincarnated into topsoil- or in more extreme cases- ash, a valuable commodity for the natural word. 8)

As you seem to do it, you are granting a better option thatn FPs because they players know that if their character dies, all they need to is have some d6 standing by to roll up another.

They are, in essence, immortal.

And? They mess up, they get penalized by starting at the bottom of the heap and the game moves on. Instant Karma. Lose the body, the soul gets reincarnated and game is back on. 8)

There's no sucj thing as instant karma. That's my point. If they know that if they die they can just create a new character, where's the investment in thier current one? FPs provide a definte out against dying when you dont'want to, but you only get three. That's not a lot. It's a limited insurance policy - very limited. If they are attacking leaders and getting killed because plans don't come together properly, it sounds more like better planning would keep them alive better anyway, not FPs. FPs would just provide that dramatic "I'm not dead yet" moment, but it also allows you as a GM to do the same thing and keepo a villan alive that they though for certain they'd done away with. WOrks both ways.

Plus, they are jsut as good at being spent to ensure that a plan goes off, like that the optimal time to attack an encampment is during a rain storm so a FP is burned to "make it rain". That's a valid expense too, not just death avoidance.

I just think you;re missing out on a great aspect of the game not using them. Honestly, I think the expendature of FPs to survive the final show-down and gain Reputation is the whole point of the thing. XPLevels are a means to an end, but Rep is where it's at, and surviving against all odds is one way to increase Rep.

Sutek said:
There's no sucj thing as instant karma. That's my point. If they know that if they die they can just create a new character, where's the investment in thier current one?

Investment? Is this story telling or a banking transaction? Their character is theri creation, but the worlds are a harsh place and eventually the reaper claims all things, so it's best not to get too attached to anything. A spiritual lesson ala RPG. Life is precious because it is fragile. 8)

FPs provide a definte out against dying when you dont'want to, but you only get three. That's not a lot. It's a limited insurance policy - very limited. If they are attacking leaders and getting killed because plans don't come together properly, it sounds more like better planning would keep them alive better anyway, not FPs.

Bad plans kill people. Ask anyone who actually seen combat. RPG allow a person to learn that without actually dying themselves. Another valuabel lesson.

FPs would just provide that dramatic "I'm not dead yet" moment, but it also allows you as a GM to do the same thing and keepo a villan alive that they though for certain they'd done away with. WOrks both ways.[.quote]

This ia actually what I hate about fantasy/action/sci0fi etc. genre- that fact that death rarely happens to anyone 'important'. That's amarketinf feature really- you can't really kill Superman 'cause the story line would stop and the publisher would stop making money. SO where's the suspence? RPGs at least are exempt from this. If everybody dies- well there's another campaign around the corner. Plus actually not dying in these circumstances is an accomplishment to be proud of, not just almost guarenteed.

Plus, they are jsut as good at being spent to ensure that a plan goes off, like that the optimal time to attack an encampment is during a rain storm so a FP is burned to "make it rain". That's a valid expense too, not just death avoidance.

Weather's one of those things that ignores human desire for the most part. You want to able to make it rain? Take some serious level fo Scholar and invest in Elements and Forces. 8)

I just think you;re missing out on a great aspect of the game not using them. Honestly, I think the expendature of FPs to survive the final show-down and gain Reputation is the whole point of the thing. XPLevels are a means to an end, but Rep is where it's at, and surviving against all odds is one way to increase Rep.

Yes, I am quite aware of the effect of Reputation. Two of PCs in my campaign Reputation is so high that when in their 'native' area of Kordava, everyone knows them. Of course one of them has a Reputation of Cruel so he gets the 'don't look him in the eye' reaction, while the other has a Brave Reputation so everyone likes to see her when the need her to fight someone. Otherwise they try and keep her happy lest she feel the need to start a fight to relieve her boredom.

Of course, surviving my game no one can say they didn't earn it. If Death isn't possible in the 'final-showdown' then it's not earned- it's just handed to them like a certificate of participation.

Evolution consumes the weakest after all. 8)

Back