Fabrication Chamber - Math

kevinknight

Banded Mongoose
So, your TL13 fabrication chamber can produce it's stated volume in 1 hour. The standard workshop can hold a 100 liter fab for an output of 100 liters per hour.
A displacement ton is 13.5Kl or 13500 liters. At the rate of 100 liters per hour, it would take the standard workshop fab chamber 135 hours or 5.625 days to produce 1 displacement ton of stuff, probably just round it up to 1 week to account for variations and delays.

Does this look correct?

Trying to figure out a reasonable time for my players to fabricate spare parts for their ship (they have access to the raw materials in the form of another ship).

Thanks.

Your math is correct.
Further, for repairing critical hits (I include this mechanic for Hull damage) an 8 uses 1 ton. Each point of positive effect uses 20% less material, so that on a critical success, they use no parts. Something just shook loose/can be welded back together without issues.
Now on a failure, I add 20% of the materials used and add 1d6 hours per effect, AND the system is not fixed and they have to try again.

Last edited:
The math seems correct, but for some reason, I feel compelled to apply an entirely unnecessary wrinkle: A displacement ton is how much space you need to allocate for something.

If that something is liquid hydrogen, it uses all of the volume (minus an undefined portion for the actual walls of the tank). If it is a stateroom, it uses probably considerably less than 10% (depends, I suppose on furnishing and clutter). If it is a jump drive - well the engine room normally has space for people to enter and work, so 50-75%. In theory, a hull uses 0% displacement without armour, but we know that isn't right.

But the post-fabrication assembly of 100 liter chunks adds time, more so for dispersed shapes, one would think. So in the end, it's probably more than close enough to say a dton a week (sounds bad, but if you had all the materials and blueprints, you could build a scout ship every two years). Except for fabricating unarmoured hull plates, which should not be an instantaneous process - same goes for ship computers and basic sensors.

(There is something seriously wrong with my coffee today - must be so, because it couldn't possibly be my brain - I'm typing horrendously and mixing words, so I apologize in advance for any unintended incoherence).

Back