Excel Ship Designer

Thank you for making this - I started my own last week as I started going through the rules.
You have saved me a lot of time - and helped my group learn the ways.

Two small, very very very small niggles.

1) On the "Weapons Sheet" as I am in Libre Office on Linux and not Windows/Excel it was breaking the lookups/totals on others sheets with its "#N/A" entries.
I do not know if it does this in other programs spreadsheets/OSes.

So I changed to this CELL:Q9 to =SUMIF(Q12:Q37,"<>#N/A")

2) Please don't hate me for this one. I am this kind of pedant.

The Annualised Maintenance rate is 0.1%. of the cost. in the Core book. I see no errata to correct this.

In the sheet there's a division by 100 (1%), when it should be by 1000(0.1%).
Sorry I didn't keep the cell reference. It was a "cell ref"/12/100 if that helps?

Given the sizes of numbers over I can see why would be missed. but on 100m 83.333...k vs 8.333..k every 4 weeks will add up fast.

I really again appreciate the simple style and coding you've used.

May all your dice roll well you leg-end!

Now to bend my head around ship floor plan designs...

Thanks.
The maintenance will be at .1% (on the ship's info tab) + life support on the record sheet in the next update... which will be shortly after I get a little more info:

Which weapons are giving you an #NA for power? I have zeroes in every table it references, when it doesn't have a power draw, including the blank entries for the user defined slots. I added actual zeroes to the blank squares down column of Q just in case. Excel treats a null field as a zero.

As to ship design, Yet Another Traveller Blog has a geomorphs book and a starship symbols book.
http://travellerrpgblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/starship-symbols-book.html

I'll post a link to the original of this once I've found it, but for now:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...3734293/Blank_Starship_Deck_Plan_Template.png
Not Mine. Don't know where I got it, but it was free when I did - and I'll give credit and link to the original as soon as I find it...

I use Paint Shop Pro, but any image painter with layers can work. Gimp is free.
Put the template as the bottom layer, ship outline above that, internal walls on another layer, and around three layers for components from the symbols book.
Make sure to resize them if needed (I didn't notice the scale the first couple of times I used the symbols).

I use the Marcellus font.

Thanks for all of that.

The code I added to the sheet will work in Excel too - and would save you adding zeros to all sorts of lists.

Attached is the image showing where I changed the code and the #N/As that appear unless I add a weapon. As I said there have been odd issues between Microsoft and Linux use before.

https://i.imgur.com/4UBmMpY.jpg

New Version:

Fixes the maintenance and fixes weapon power when the weapon is null on non excel spreadsheets.
Thanks to MingtheMirthless for that.

Weird. Null weapons should give a zero. Different programs. At least it will work for you going forward if we find other faults.

And if you are seeing any weirdness, don't hesitate to let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks for that chief - but you've done a me and put #NA not #N/A.

Now - I can generate the error repeatedly as here:
VIFv81S.jpg

Seems that once a weapon has been added - even if its set back to not installed - the dark grey formatting does not reset - it remain white and not reverting back to grey.

HOWEVER THE ABOVE FIX IS SUFFICIENT. NO OTHER CHANGES ARE NEEDED :) :)
If I find out why I'll let you know. It's 100% something the conditional formatting is/isn't looping.
It's defo an issue of Libre Vs Excel. Not your problem. (IE The Multi Weapon point go from white back to grey. This "EMP Hardened" column is what isn't reverting/looping I think as you intended outside of Excel.

Have I missed where the Weapons sheet is logging the power draw from the multi-weapon listings in HP01-HP03 E-G at top of the sheet? The page power total never changes regardless of what weapons I put in here. I've put my conditional lookup fix in for now. If it's there I've missed it...doesn't seem to have broken anything else.

Did try to PM. But it just sits in Outbox.

Trying again:
link deleted

One thing I frequently do is to not put a number in the quantity of turrets, because it's going to two different spots. Otherwise, in Excel, the mixed turrets calculate and display power draw.

Last edited:
I only know of two for High Guard.
I don't have 2300. The stutterwarp and having sensor readings coming from two directions at once broke my mind, Old Ones style, when it came out in the 80's.

I hope to see this again updated when the 2022 High Guard book comes out. I also would like to see a 2300 version as well since mongoose has done a revamp on it as well. Thanks

Thanks. I'm hoping doing the 2022 High Guard update doesn't give my the coder's block that the Vehicles did... Got the chassis, speed, traits, record sheet, with image option, visual fire arcs on the sheet... and hit a mental wall on adding weapons...

I don't have 2300, though.

New Update
Changed to adopt most of the High Guard Update 2022 book.
Notably absent are the hop and skip drives. Also have not installed the Gravity Well Generator yet.

If you see anything else I missed please do not hesitate to let me know. My eyes are glazed over, so I am sure there's something - and it won't get fixed if I don't know about it.

Update 2022.08.06

Last edited:
I love this Ship Designer

I did find these errors.
6. Computer Tab
Intellect Software should be included at TL11+ and at zero bandwidth (Traveller Core Rule Book Update 2022 page 161)

8a. Weapons
When selecting Mixed Weapons, Sandcasters are absent from the drop-down. They are present from the drop-down if they are the only weapon.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
I love this Ship Designer

I did find these errors.
6. Computer Tab
Intellect Software should be included at TL11+ and at zero bandwidth (Traveller Core Rule Book Update 2022 page 161)

8a. Weapons
When selecting Mixed Weapons, Sandcasters are absent from the drop-down. They are present from the drop-down if they are the only weapon.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks MyndkryM,
Weird, the sandcaster paragraph didn't show up for me until I quoted you... went back and fixed that too. It was adding the railgun to turrets that did that. Forgot to adjust the validation on those fields.

Intellect works now. Added Battle Networks, since they blurred into Battle Systems on my first and second passes...
Fixed Sick Bays. They conform to the new 3 patient limit now.

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: The external link has been removed.

Update 2022.08.07a

Last edited:
Ion Cannon Barbettes now conform to the August 12, 2022 update to High Guard.

Version 2022.08.12

Last edited:
Pressure Hulls (thanks Spartan159), Common Area Options (Scroll Down in the Staterooms Tab). A few other fixes, like stealth jump.
Concealed Drives replaces stealth for M-Drives. The calculations are in the mod, so input the FINAL thrust. Tonnage and cost are based on the drive for double your input, plus 25%, so your number is the thrust you GET. Don't halve it. It's already done.

Version 2022.08.14

Last edited:
Found the Armor space modifiers I'd missed. Armor now calculates correctly for spheres and streamlined vessels. :oops:

Version 2022,08.14a

Last edited:
Fixed Mod formula to comply with HG examples (adjusted volume not calculated with cost)
Implemented Gauss and Laser PDB's
On record sheet, added Battle loadout for power in parentheses in the Power box, hopefully that will help when determining when you have to turn off systems.

Current Version: 2022.08.18

Last edited:
Back