Evading drones

JohnDW

Mongoose
This situation hasn't come up in a game yet for me, but I was wondering about the order of how stuff should be played out.

A ship with the fast trait uses the take evasive action! special action, and moves over 12" that turn, takes attacks from drones.

TEA! allows the ship to take an opposed crew check to avoid the drones all together no matter what range the drones come in from, then the advanced rules for evading drones say the ship can make an opposed crew check because it moved more than 12".

Would there be 2 crew checks made with only 1 needed to work to avoid drones, or just 1 crew check made to avoid drones?

Also, lets say some drones being fired from more than 18", thus requiring a roll to hit, because they are above half range, there would be a total of -2 modifier total because of the TEA! special action as well, right?

Its a lot of potential defense against drones without even adding in ADD and defensive phaser fire.

TEA stops your movement at 6" So that's one roll down.

I do worry about the change in range on the drones. If they're only hitting on a 5+ or (6+ with TEA) and then can be shot down I view their effectiveness being 0 at over 18" which makes me wonder why they even have the range anymore?

I wonder if they shouldn't drop their seeking trait if they're shot beyond 18" because you need to make a to hit roll?

I missed that part haha, I just glanced at whether it was power drain or not, silly me.

As to dropping seeking or not, they'd still automatically hit under 18" right? They might need to add accuracy +1 to counter act the long range.

At long range in SFB and FC, drones have about a 3-5% hit percentage. The rule changes pretty much produce that result.

And yes i did kill a Fed BC with drones from a D7 at 21". Don't count long range drones out you just need to pick when and where you use them. Also remember Scouts will change long range attacks because you can reroll one weapon system with them.

A query about evading drones etc.

If you fail the cq check for take evasive action you don't get -1 on the enemy's non-seeking fire. If you fail this check can you still roll to evade drones or did the first failure mean you cannot?

Also would this roll be against a ship or against each seeking weapon system that the ship fired?

If you fail the CQ check to perform any special action, you fail to perform it. So no -1 and no evasion of any kind.

That's what I thought. If you can evade though is it against a ship or a weapon system? i.e. if a Gorn cruiser fires two type s plasma torpedoes and two type f should I roll one evasion attempt or four? The rule just says you roll to avoid seeking weapons so I assume it is one roll. It's not a problem with drones as they are all one system but I just wondered if I'm doing it correctly.

I think it is per weapon.

The Special Action rule isn't clear. The rule for evading them with speed is per weapon, so I would suggest that it is the the same.

Mathew - since we are getting a updated PDF could this be clarified in the Special Action discriptions please.

This came up in a recent game of ours, does an evading ship enjoy the -1 to hit on long range drones (now they have to roll) and then a chance to dodge them via Crew checks?

storeylf said:
This came up in a recent game of ours, does an evading ship enjoy the -1 to hit on long range drones (now they have to roll) and then a chance to dodge them via Crew checks?

Yes. It is still long range. The opposed CQ is just another chance to make them miss.

Back