Errors with Scrolls of Skelos

Lando The Archmagi

Banded Mongoose
I'm about half way through Scrolls and noticed a few glitches here and there.

Pg 7 Under Notes : "Sorcery styles in bold are completely new....

Actually, it lists existing and new sorcery styles in bold print, when some of the existing styles just have new spells. That was a bit confusing at first. Example: Curses is in bold as is Hypnotism and several other styles in the main rules.

Pg 40. Bottom of page, second column first paragraph... "such as being made a viceroy or a good-sized nation.... should probably be "of"

Pg 114. Listing under Thoth-Amon mentions the Serpent ring of Set which is detaied in this book under magic items, but it says it'll be detailed in the new Conan supplement "Book of Skelos"

I'm sure I'll run across some more, but I am impressed with the book overall and was only slightly disappointed that no new Necromancy spells were mentioned, but there are a few that might work well under that style listed under the new Immortality style..

Don't you people have anything better to do? You bothered to post the fact that you found THREE errors in 114 pages? Big deal. I doubt theres a book ever published that wouldn't drop at least that many errors.

The best thing about Mongoose is that they turn out supplements within the same lifetime as the main book. There are some companies i could mention that drag their legs for months if not longer before digning to release anything better. The price for running tight deadlines is a few typos? Well, jeez! Would you rather have jack s@&t instead?

I bet the blokes at Mongoose Hall just can't wait to have people do this. The fact that the main Conan rulebook was badly edited and deserved a degree of criticism doesn't man the rest of the product line is Open Season for the slightest gripe.

I'm sure mongoose is appreciative of fans assisting with the tedious process of compiling eratta.
As a matter of fact, you may note that the published FAQ was compiled by fans from postings on these boards.

MightyCthulhu said:
I'm sure mongoose is appreciative of fans assisting with the tedious process of compiling eratta.
As a matter of fact, you may note that the published FAQ was compiled by fans from postings on these boards.

Yep, fans have a fresh eye looking at the material, so they are best positioned to identify these issues and present them for inclusion in FAQ / Errata. However, negative tone in presenting them probably isn't appreciated ;)

slaughterj said:
Yep, fans have a fresh eye looking at the material, so they are best positioned to identify these issues and present them for inclusion in FAQ / Errata. However, negative tone in presenting them probably isn't appreciated ;)

True, however I found no negative tone in Lando's post. He pointed out the errata in a very matter-of-fact tone and ended the post with on a very positive note.

MightyCthulhu said:
slaughterj said:

True, however I found no negative tone in Lando's post. He pointed out the errata in a very matter-of-fact tone and ended the post with on a very positive note.

True, but I was mentioning that in general, as has been seen in other threads.

Personally, minor typos do not concern me. I am just JEALOUS of you blasted Europeans that already have this book while we ignorant Yanks (I won't presume to call Canadians ignorant) are still salivating for more Conan!

Has anyone in North America recieved this supplement yet?

I'm in the US, in Georgia actually, got Scrolls on Saturday March 27th.

When did I ever say anything negative? I am supporting this RPG 100%, as I'm running it at Dragon*Con 2004 this fall and I asked Mongoose personally if they'd support it and they said "YES!". So I don't think anyone dislikes me in any form.

I'm also running a game on OpenRPG and the Scrolls are most helpful to it among other things. Plus I'm playing in another game and so I see nothing wrong with posting the information I did. I mean if you don't want to read the thread, don't read it. I don't read every thread posted here. :)

Now I'm still reading and checking for other mishaps if any, I posted these to give everyone some input and my opinions. Take them for that, and let it go.

Lando The Archmagi

I'm not even going to bother posting anything in this topic, besides this sentence and one other. Who cares! Is it totally wrong? Can you not play it? Does it have a spell component or some such thing that doesn't describe what it is? Who cares!

Oh, you may say you do. Well, here is something. Don't order the book. Just wait till it comes out in the store. Sit down, read the entire book. Make a chart of all the supposedly incorrect things that are in the book. Post in it PRIVATELY to the mongoose gods, and be done with it.

If I offend anyone in this post, I apoligize. I will buy this book, once it comes to my, not so local, gaming store and be happy with a quality product.

Odovacar's Ghost said:
Oh, you may say you do. Well, here is something. Don't order the book. Just wait till it comes out in the store. Sit down, read the entire book. Make a chart of all the supposedly incorrect things that are in the book. Post in it PRIVATELY to the mongoose gods, and be done with it.

Excuse me but that's downright stupid. If it weren't for fans posting all the errors they found in the first book, we would still be awaiting Mongoose FAQ with nothing to fall back on (given Mongoose did a simple cut/paste job with our own answers to problems).

If you don't want to read messages from people who find errors, then simply skip threads with "error" in the title.

I first check out what the error is entitled, then if it rates a post, I post. I have a certain criteria when I post. I don't post every single little sniveling thing.

If I am so rude, just ignore me. If, I am so downright stupid just ignore me.. I am a great fan. I love the Mongoose's creative instict in creating the conan rpg saga in the real aspects of REH. The FAQ would have been great and wonderful, if the so called fans would have paced themselves and waited for the FAQ.

I've waited for FAQ's that lasted over a year. Oh wow, a year! Once that FAQ came out, it was good. Now, we have to have a FAQ on the FAQ. It fans who created the FAQ. Yes, that is wonderful, but, it was also fans who shot down the FAQ and stated that it was wrong. Ugh

And I have been skipping over messages that have [house rules] in the messages. The ones that have errors I check over. Cause perhaps they are not errors. Or perhaps they are errors that any moron can see!

Note: I'm also a moron. I consider myself a warrior who got slained by vile picts. These picts disagreed with me. But, I haunt their days, throughout eternity. Or when I get banned, whichever is the soonest. Only morons would continue to post here, when they are unwanted.

Each coin has a side. Heads, tails. But, have you noticed there is a third side?

Odovacar's Ghost said:
I'm not even going to bother posting anything in this topic, besides this sentence and one other.

Man, I count ca 40 in all... so far... not bad for a man who's not even posting in this thread. I'm impressed! 8)

/wolf

How about this for an idea... :idea:

If there was a separate forum (called Errata, for instance) for us public to post any errors, then anyone who wanted to stay away from issues like this know what not to read, and anyone who would find this information useful (like the Mongoose people) could read it to their heart's content.

Rules queries should still go to the Rulesmasters section, but this forum could be used for things like the famous "spellb.ooks" error...

What do you think, Mr Old Bear & co :?:

Odovacar's Ghost said:
Thankyou! I meant to post a +/- ## in there.

But, I am happy to see that atleast someone was impressed with one of my posts! :p

OK, the noise, the rattling, the moaning, the attention whoring, all these are ghosts' standards. But what's this 'immunity from irony' thing ? A new undead ability ?

Hyena said:
Odovacar's Ghost said:
Thankyou! I meant to post a +/- ## in there.

But, I am happy to see that atleast someone was impressed with one of my posts! :p

OK, the noise, the rattling, the moaning, the attention whoring, all these are ghosts' standards. But what's this 'immunity from irony' thing ? A new undead ability ?

Probaly...

*Howls at the moon in agreement*

/wolf

I see noise, rattling, moaning (and groaning), attention whoring (what a sound idea!), everywhere in these posts (conan). These are not my standards, but the standards of a few here.

But, I digress.

I'm just tired of seeing people posting better ways in playing this game. I'm tired of reading posts that could be left on a personal website. Will banning me stop anything? Not really. The noise, rattling, moaning, attention whoring will continue. Each and every new book will come out. Some one will complain about something.

I will just say, that you Mongoose gods, have done a great job on an almost impossible mission. To bring back conan to the masses. My posts may not be the posts of some sniveling people. I am here to play Conan, not twiddling winks (a.k.a. typical dnd campaigns).

Ahh, the Hyborian age, not an age for the weak, but the strong.

Back