Era Question

Sir Brad

Banded Mongoose
OK looking for pointers on Era, I did a non-Kai campaign (now on hiatus) set during the Kai Books era, an open campaign set in 5100 and a Kai campaign that ended wit hall the characters being killed off in 5050.

I'm trying to set up a game with the other half of my gaming circle who have never played LW (some not even the game books) to keep it simple I'm thinking of going with a Kai campaign to kick off and don't know if I want to try another 5100 or go for 5000, If I go for a 5000 game when they reach Mangikai I want to limit their power potential and make things tough for the Kai, after all the book of the Mangikai is missing, the Lorestones have become things as much of Legend as historical fact. so I'm thinking of making a Lore Circle a Rank ability (you have to have the disciplines before you can take the Lore Circle) to show that with time and peace the order is in decline.

Knowledge of the Magnakai abilities are preserved by teaching them from Kai Masters to students. Lone Wolf needed the book because there were no one to teach the abilities to him.

Don't see why you need to limit them.

Maybe he is referring to the fact that the First Kai order never had anyone that managed to master all 10 Magnakai disciplines, and which - if I remember correctly - was partially due to an incomplete knowledge of all of those Magnakai disciplines. Like making a copy of a copy of a copy etc... Eventually, thing get lost to the point where the copy no longer makes sense.

also Ancient and Elder Soummerling texts at the monastery have bean incorrectly translated to more modern argot, or preserved in their original form but the nuances of some words have changed, that kind of thing.

I'm thinking the Grand Master is a guy (or gal) who has got all the Magnakai disciplines or two Lore Circles. most Magnakai masters (rank 16-17) with no interest in Politics of the Order or Realm normally shuffle off on some Quest for Lost Lore (go Visit the Magi, seek out the Lore stones or hunt for the book of the Magnakai ect.) and return a decade or so later (having past rank 20) with some rediscovered secrets teach some or all of what they have found for a few years then leave again to seek out that last missing piece and are never seen again.

I want the players to feel special when they figure out how to hold two Lore Circles at rank 16 where the Grandmaster or most senior masters didn't achieve that till they reached 18. I also want them to feel peril in an age of relative peace and prosperity when they ask themselves how much danger dose this lost lore place the Lastlands (and the rest of the free lands) in?

Edit I also want them to pick their path to power, dose it lie in gaining more disciplines or by completing Lore Circles?

I really liked the idea of running a non-Kai Lord campaign set during the LW books. That has some true potential. As for the rest of it, it actually sounds great to me. I'm sure your players will love it.

Back