Energy from heat - The argument against stealth in space

atpollard said:
Three points to make in contribution to this topic:

First, Insulation in spacecraft is kind of an odd concept because space is a vacuum ... you already have the worlds best insulation (you are a giant thermos bottle).

Second, If you posit the existence of a material that will efficiently reflect or refract heat (EM energy in the IR spectrum - or other spectrum), then it is possible to construct a Fresnel lens (like on a lighthouse) for the 'radiator' and direct your waste heat in a narrow cone. This makes your ship very bright from one specific direction and very dim from all other directions.

Third, There was some anti-radar research that involved compounds that could absorb energy in specific EM wavelengths and radiate it off in a different wavelength. In the real world, this is used for anti-radar coatings on military vehicles. If the Far Future has materials/coatings that operate on a similar principle except across a broader range of EM wavelengths, it may be possible to tune what wavelength your ship glows in. Enemy scanning for IR signatures, too bad you radiate all your waste energy in the x-ray wavelengths.

Just tossing in my 2 cents.
Use or ignore as appropriate.

Some good points. Insulation is good because it allows you to control your heat generated. So, for example, your stealthy ship retains all the heat on the inside (which is normally the greater part of it) and you can deal with it as you please. You really don't want a totally refractive hull since that, too, would reflect off into space and you'd be all nice and "shiny" on IR sensors.

The absorbtion idea is interesting. We know you can passively detect powerful X-rays, but a narrow-beam that continually changes angles and emission level might be harder to detect from normal background radiation. Having something that continually emits a stream is kind of like turning on a narrow-beam flashlight in the dark.

In theory dumping anything out behind the shadow of your ship is a good idea. Except where someone has deployed a scanner array that can look "up" and "down" from various angles and compare the results to look for sneaky people. Probably not going to be present in any low-tech system, but I would think the scan sats would be dirt cheap and spread pretty heavily around any military or A/B starport that has any risk of being attacked by the enemy or even well-organized pirates. It's unfortunate we don't yet have a really good understanding of how pirates are able to flourish raiding ships coming into planetary systems, or even on longer trips to outer planets and stations. Wasn't the new pirate supplement supposed to address some of that?

Again, the issue that puzzles me is how much heat is there?

With a fusion reactor onboard, it could be productively channelled to it, and if you switch it off, or more likely, really power it down, for that stealth run, you could use it as a heatsink.

hiro said:
Reaction drives obviously have a heat signature, does a gravitic drive have a signature?
Possibly visual light emissions from coronal discharge, and - according to Larry Niven - an almost-coherent neutrino wake. Possibly gravitons too.

phavoc said:
atpollard said:
Three points to make in contribution to this topic:

First, Insulation in spacecraft is kind of an odd concept because space is a vacuum ... you already have the worlds best insulation (you are a giant thermos bottle).

Second, If you posit the existence of a material that will efficiently reflect or refract heat (EM energy in the IR spectrum - or other spectrum), then it is possible to construct a Fresnel lens (like on a lighthouse) for the 'radiator' and direct your waste heat in a narrow cone. This makes your ship very bright from one specific direction and very dim from all other directions.

Third, There was some anti-radar research that involved compounds that could absorb energy in specific EM wavelengths and radiate it off in a different wavelength. In the real world, this is used for anti-radar coatings on military vehicles. If the Far Future has materials/coatings that operate on a similar principle except across a broader range of EM wavelengths, it may be possible to tune what wavelength your ship glows in. Enemy scanning for IR signatures, too bad you radiate all your waste energy in the x-ray wavelengths.

Just tossing in my 2 cents.
Use or ignore as appropriate.

Some good points. Insulation is good because it allows you to control your heat generated. So, for example, your stealthy ship retains all the heat on the inside (which is normally the greater part of it) and you can deal with it as you please. You really don't want a totally refractive hull since that, too, would reflect off into space and you'd be all nice and "shiny" on IR sensors.

The absorbtion idea is interesting. We know you can passively detect powerful X-rays, but a narrow-beam that continually changes angles and emission level might be harder to detect from normal background radiation. Having something that continually emits a stream is kind of like turning on a narrow-beam flashlight in the dark.

In theory dumping anything out behind the shadow of your ship is a good idea. Except where someone has deployed a scanner array that can look "up" and "down" from various angles and compare the results to look for sneaky people. Probably not going to be present in any low-tech system, but I would think the scan sats would be dirt cheap and spread pretty heavily around any military or A/B starport that has any risk of being attacked by the enemy or even well-organized pirates. It's unfortunate we don't yet have a really good understanding of how pirates are able to flourish raiding ships coming into planetary systems, or even on longer trips to outer planets and stations. Wasn't the new pirate supplement supposed to address some of that?

Here's an interesting exercise. take a pen light, put you hand in front of it...Now have someone walk to one side or the other until they can see that penlights bulb. A small object creates a cone hat gets wider as you move away from the source...of course you probably already knew that...but that little exercise makes the problem a lot more readily apparent.

creating a network that can see around the tiny hull of a starship to a directed energy beam..say a MASER being used to get rid of excess heat though some clever engineering. The system would have to be a large distance away from the general path of the starship..millions, or trillions of miles.

and If ya haven't been hit in the head, or hiding on some obscure thread away from the forum..I think you know how radically different and sometimes passionately opposed opinions and theories on piracy are. There isn't a neat and tidy way to deal with the issue of piracy, or for that matter stealth in space. If I could think of an idea that would satisfy everyone, or even a significant majority, I wouldn't put it here..I'd write it up, sell it to Mongoose, and watch my bank account grow. :D

Condottiere said:
Again, the issue that puzzles me is how much heat is there?

With a fusion reactor onboard, it could be productively channelled to it, and if you switch it off, or more likely, really power it down, for that stealth run, you could use it as a heatsink.

the primary heat source is the fusion power plant. A fusion reactor creates temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun within it's fusion chamber.

the secondary heat source is anything mechanical or electrical on the ship. Reach over and put you hand near the power supply of your desktop/laptop... that heat alone is enough to be seen one heck of a long way off..no multiply that by a few thousand pieces of electronics and machinery packed into a metal can the size of a WWII destroyer.

sooner or later that heat makes it to the exterior of the ship by one means or another. .

if you are using reactor that requires cooling or converts something into a liquid to turn a turbine You might be able to co-opt part of the cooling system, or even the fuel tanks as a heat sump. a few thousand liters of liquid hydrogen setting around waiting to be fused would be a great heat sump.

of course some out gassing would occur, but could be controlled with a system that captures the gas, then cools it back to a liquid state. that would indirectly use the reactor to cool the hull of the ship.

alex_greene said:
hiro said:
Reaction drives obviously have a heat signature, does a gravitic drive have a signature?
Possibly visual light emissions from coronal discharge, and - according to Larry Niven - an almost-coherent neutrino wake. Possibly gravitons too.

Anything that is electrically or mechanically powered has a heat signature. maybe not as spectacular as a chemical rocket or fusion torch, but it's enough to cause issues if you're trying not to be noticed.

The Heat can be dealt with by some clever engineering, and applied physics. Another source of detection from gravitics is the EM/particle noise such a system would generate. If you have ever had an OLD radio occasionally you can hear a buzzing in the signal caused by a car driving pas. the spark-plugs generate a broad, weak, radio signal as they operate. At one time most electronics generated interference on the EM band as well..although that's hardly a major issue now.

I practice it is actually possible to detect a radar detector, which is basically only a specially tuned radio receiver, by it's peculiar EM interference created when it is operating. to me that has always hinted that any drive system using a emitter of any sort can be detected and precisely tracked by its EM noise....

Condottiere said:
We could switch to a fission reactor and dump the heat there.

Problem is you cant really dump the heat into a reactor. heat goes from Greatest to lowest levels. So you'd have to use an intermediate process. Drawing power from the reactor to cool a liquid or gas.

wbnc said:
Condottiere said:
We could switch to a fission reactor and dump the heat there.

Problem is you cant really dump the heat into a reactor. heat goes from Greatest to lowest levels.
Poor old Maxwell's Demon has to go home empty handed once again, grumbling "And I woulda got away with it too, were it not for that pesky Second Law of Thermodynamics."

So back to an auxiliary steam turbine, which I would suppose would be efficient enough to power all ship systems except grav drives, jump drives, weapons and active sensors.

A steam turbine for a fusion reactor on a ship?! Go view the construction of a 21st century atomic power plant and see how much of it is the water and steam elements. Answer is much more than the reactor. Remember that advanced vehicles, including the family grav car is running on fusion reactors and you don't see steam pipes everywhere. Oh and you would need a big water supply like a river or an ocean plus those enormous cooling towers then have the neighbors complain about the heat pollution. Yeah, THAT will be detected by sensors from orbit.

One of the purposes of fusion reactors especially in Traveller is high energy efficiency trying to get as close to 100% heat to power conversion and part of that is very precise control of the fusion energy produced so there is very little heat waste. Dick and Jane in the back seat aren't getting their backs seared from the grav car plant. There should be a controllable amount from the reactor that a portion can keep the internals of ships warm and the rest can be passed into a high efficiency cooling medium, along with any other gathered waste heat to the external heat sinks.

Speaking of mediums, there is no medium in space to propagate energy in all directions as in air and water (and even solids). Today's rocket technology is extremely sloppy dumping highly energized particles which do scatter because of the explosive dispersion outside the nozzle even in a vacuum. The light pen example in the other post is an air medium experiment and wouldn't work so well in a vacuum. Some will spread but still drops off considerably from the original line of projection. A laser/maser is a different beasty as it is purposely concentrated in one direction.

Condottiere said:
So back to an auxiliary steam turbine, which I would suppose would be efficient enough to power all ship systems except grav drives, jump drives, weapons and active sensors.

Fuel cell would be a cheap and easy way to generate power. When you get into auxillary power questions, you have to define what sort of power requirement you expect it to fulfill. Power the drives? Or just the thrusters? Power weapons, or just the lights/gravity/life support systems?

You could also install say a A type fusion plant (smallest starship version there is) and that's your auxillary power system. Or multiples if you are building a really big ship. But I think emergency or auxillary power would be better left to cheap and very simple systems. It's hard to beat the simplicity of a fuel cell which gives off no radiation or other harmful residuals.

Reynard said:
The light pen example in the other post is an air medium experiment and wouldn't work so well in a vacuum. Some will spread but still drops off considerably from the original line of projection. A laser/maser is a different beasty as it is purposely concentrated in one direction.

Ten it would make detection of an object beaming energy away from it's hull even more difficult due to ack of back scatter...

I suggested the experiment to illustrate how simply taking a step to the side might not be enough to see the energy being directed in a narrow focus.

The point of having the auxiliary steam turbine is to dump the heat and have it generate electricity, when you power down the fusion plant while running silent, since apparently you can't have the heat escape the spaceship, and it might as well do something useful.

Condottiere said:
The point of having the auxiliary steam turbine is to dump the heat and have it generate electricity, when you power down the fusion plant while running silent, since apparently you can't have the heat escape the spaceship, and it might as well do something useful.

In theory I suppose that could work. There are low-temperature, low-pressure steam turbines, but you need at least 100C (about 200F) for it to even work. And they are very ineffecient at that temperature.

Converting the heat to electricity would be far more efficient and simpler to do. With the steam turbine you also have the problem of having to cool the steam back to water in order for it to be fed back into the system to be re-heated and turned to steam.

phavoc said:
Condottiere said:

In theory I suppose that could work. There are low-temperature, low-pressure steam turbines, but you need at least 100C (about 200F) for it to even work. And they are very ineffecient at that temperature.

Converting the heat to electricity would be far more efficient and simpler to do. With the steam turbine you also have the problem of having to cool the steam back to water in order for it to be fed back into the system to be re-heated and turned to steam.

I'd agree with the fact starships probably don't use steam, or liquid metal systems, but some sort of direct conversion system. Although if you wanted to build a lower tech ship stem turbines and other mechanical systems woud be a good add for giving the ship a suitably old tech favor.

wbnc said:
I'd agree with the fact starships probably don't use steam, or liquid metal systems, but some sort of direct conversion system. Although if you wanted to build a lower tech ship stem turbines and other mechanical systems woud be a good add for giving the ship a suitably old tech favor.

I dunno, steam or even flywheels seems TOO low-tech. Our TL-7 shuttle used fuel cells. Previous craft iterations used straight-up batteries. And our orbital stations used a mix of batteries and solar cells. I suppose you could add in radioisotope generators for power too. Those are handy, if slightly dangerous if mishandled.

Anything else, I think at least, would be more of a hassle than it would be worth.

From what I remember, the old Buster Crabb Flash Gordon ships didn't use steam generators to drive a ship and those things were very low tech. I think they may have used a sparkler system.

Buster Crabb was just a man, with a man's courage. You know he's nothing but a man. And he can never fail

If I wanted efficiency, I'd stick with solar panels.

The issue is removing heat as a means of detecting an object in space.

Back