Encounters via Mongoose Traveller Animal Creation

I was wondering if it was allowed under the Traveller licence to create a creature encounter sub-system for Legend using a similar format to the one in the Traveller SRD. And if so, in any restatement of the OGL would it be sufficient to include the Traveller main rulebook in the copyright section.

This would provide a way to extend the creatures in the MOL and provide a bit more variety. Once generated, the creature encounter list could be squirreled away for future use in that campaign. I wouldn't use this system to create sapient creatures, as they deserve greater attention to detail.

Any thoughts?

If you can retool d66 tables to d100 tables, and bear in mind that the environments in Mongoose tend to be Terran environments only - no high-grav or low-grav worlds, no worlds with exotic atmospheres and vacuum - give it a go. Submit it to Mongoose as a Legend article for possible future publication if they decide to resurrect Signs & Portents.

Don't confuse the Traveller Logo Licence (TLL) with the OGL. You can use elements from the Traveller SRD, Legend, and/or Open Content from any number of other OGL products as long as you update the OGL at the back of your product correctly, but there are additional restrictions to the TLL beyond those in the OGL.

But I suspect you're not actually planning a TLL product, right? And if your method is only similar and not identical to the Traveller SRD or TMB text, you may not need the extra OGL stuff (other than Legend) at all.

yeah.. I don't plan to use more than the names of the environments and "chaser", "pouncer" etc. I figured it would probably end up being okay under OGL itself, and I'm not copying bits out of earlier books, so the other licences don't really apply.

I haven't looked at Simon's BRP Scifi rules (a combination of the MRQ1 and Traveller SRDs) in a while, but maybe there's something in there for you:

http://www.soltakss.com/rq_scifi.doc

alex_greene said:
If you can retool d66 tables to d100 tables, and bear in mind that the environments in Mongoose tend to be Terran environments only - no high-grav or low-grav worlds, no worlds with exotic atmospheres and vacuum - give it a go. Submit it to Mongoose as a Legend article for possible future publication if they decide to resurrect Signs & Portents.

Oh, I bet a very high altitude plateau would suffice for a very thin atmosphere and a very low swampland surrounded all around by mountains and inhabited by fell beasts and dominated by black dragons could have some sort of corrosive (acidic) atmosphere. Then there's the Elemental Planes: what's the atmosphere of the Elemental Plane of Earth? What is the gravity and atmosphere of the Spirit Plane? Are Hero/Mythic Quests always in standard Terran environments?

I have actually been working on something like this but in reverse.

I am using the Legend OGL stuff to expand the lower Tech Levels of Traveller, perhaps even going as far as a Fantasy Traveller with Spirit/Divine/Sorcerous magic as well as the existing Traveller Psionics.

There are some D20 OGL things that can also be redone into a 2D6 format that blend in quite well.

And, since many of the low tech items mentioned in Traveller have analogs within Legend and D20, you have points of reference for scaling those things that don't have direct analogs.

Mixing the OGLs is mucho funno!

Back